The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Classic works of Larry Jennings question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pyromonkeyxxx
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of pyromonkeyxxx
I recently have been reading over the Classic works of Larry Jennings. It’s a fabulous book, but many of the tricks use sleights I do not know, mainly because I am fairly new to magic. I was wondering if any magicians who have this book could suggest some tricks I can start out with, and then slowly work my way up to the more complicated ones.
Thanks
Alex
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Pyro, unfortunately you're like a first grader looking at a college text book. No wonder it looks tough, it is!

Put this on your bookshelf for a while and start with something like Card College. Then come back to the Jennings book and it'll start making more and more sense.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
That's silly.

Look at Always Cut the Cards, which, should memory serve, is the first effect in the book. It's not tough and it plays well.
Richard Tremblay
View Profile
Regular user
Québec, Canada
120 Posts

Profile of Richard Tremblay
IMPOSSIBLE
PREFIGURATION

You should have a lot of fun with these two and they are easy.

Richard Tremblay
kermitthefrog
View Profile
Regular user
France
128 Posts

Profile of kermitthefrog
Close-Up Illusion isn't technically difficult, is it? And it's great fun.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Another vote for
PREFIGURATION
and when you learn more sleights you can routine PREFIGURATION with SYNCRONICITY.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2005-07-25 17:17, kermitthefrog wrote:

Close-Up Illusion isn't technically difficult, is it? And it's great fun.

It is easy but it is not in the Classic Magig book.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
What specific sleights are you having trouble with?

I remember that Book as describing many of the sleights in detail...

Try Impossible which has no sleights other than usage of a crimp, or card in hat which has sleights that are explained in the effect.
pyromonkeyxxx
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of pyromonkeyxxx
Thanks, I really appreciate the help!
Alex
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
You did buy a fairly tough book. Who on earth sold it to you?
Now, it is a great book but for you to actually start performing those effects will take at least a couple of years. But not all is lost, go and buy The Card College series. There are many tricks and all the sleights you need. You will learn and performe those and move closer to the Jennings book. I have been owning the said book for 2-3 years now and I still haven't perfomed many effects from that. So be patient and study other, easier, books first.
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On 2005-07-25 11:44, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Pyro, unfortunately you're like a first grader looking at a college text book. No wonder it looks tough, it is!

Put this on your bookshelf for a while and start with something like Card College. Then come back to the Jennings book and it'll start making more and more sense.

Alex,

I just want to second this as the best advice you've received so far (along with Pekka's, which basically echoes the same sentiment).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Classic works of Larry Jennings question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL