The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Where is Jeff Busby? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
He COULD produce some "good stuff"! I'll check my file of "egg bag material". I'm quite sure that he published a very good booklet about the Sterling/Mardo bag.

I bought one of his "Fifty dollar egg bags" at a Ring Swap Meet in Seattle, about 20 years ago, for Five bucks. After a few thousand shows it still looks "new".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I agree that as Dick said above Busby could produce some "good stuff." The world of magic will forever be in his debt for his trick "Into the Fourth Dimension... and Beyond," and we have Roy Walton to thank for distilling the convolutions of that trick and paring it down to the stunning miracle we now know as "Card Warp." And Bob McAllister took "Card Warp" a step further and released his version with a card and a dollar bill to create "Green Warp," which was published in _Richard's Almanac_.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
Speaking of Bob McAllister, he was a good friend and mentor of mine back in the early 60's when I knew him in Norfolk, Virginia where he worked for a local TV station. I am still trying to find out who is the person who said that he obtained the rights to Bob's tricks from hs family. There is a lot of great stuff that Bob came up with that could be collected and released in one book. And if good copies of his performances on "Wonderama" and other shows could be found, an accompanying DVD would be a great bonus. Bob did release an instructional VHS tape of some of his magic that is available at places like amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Magic-VHS-......er+magic
----- Sonny Narvaez
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes! Bob McAllister, IIRC, was BOZO on a Norfolk TV station in the early days. I met him when he was still in high school. He drove the "old geezers" in Ring 103 nuts with his off beat and very funny approach to magic. "They" were all hung up on change bags, "production" boxes, "tubes etc.

If anyone knows anything regarding "rights" to McAllister's material, it might be Chuck Windley. Chuck is still in Norfolk. I don't think he is "in" the Café, but, he does get on face book.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Busby's Sefalaljia Cabinet sold at the recent Potter & Potter auction for $1,500. He's still selling well in the After Life:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/......&rows=20
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I bought a set of Busby hallmarked Paul Fox Cups while at Denny & Lee with Dick for his lecture/booksigning event last September. They're VERY nice cups, and rare. I agree with Richard Kaufman's remarks, above, and I will say this, which I believe is a true statement, and one for all of us to consider:

This "World of Magic" that we all live in is a LOT smaller on the inside looking out than on the outside looking in. If you lose your good reputation..... that bad word travels FAST.

I know several magicians who have created bad reputations for themselves......and that's something that none of us want. You EARN your reputation, and it can go QUICKLY. Jeff Busby's reputation was severely tarnished with his "Braue Notebooks" FIASCO........per my earlier post in this thread........and it went downhill from there.......
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2015, Anatole wrote:
It's like the difference between P.T. Selbit's "Sawing a Woman in Two" and all the vastly superior versions that came after it,

Oh really?

So, it's like the difference between a completely original groundbreaking new idea and the tweaks and imitations that it inspired?
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2016, cheesewrestler wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2015, Anatole wrote:
It's like the difference between P.T. Selbit's "Sawing a Woman in Two" and all the vastly superior versions that came after it,

Oh really?

So, it's like the difference between a completely original groundbreaking new idea and the tweaks and imitations that it inspired?

Not the tweaks and imitations it inspired, but improvements.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I think groundbreaking new ideas in magic are often (sometimes unjustly) overshadowed by improvements that follow, such as:
1) The original Sawing a Woman in Two by P.T. Selbit, although revolutionary at the time, was later overshadowed by Horace Goldin's improvement, which in turn was overshadowed by the Buzz Saw illusion and the Thin-Sawing when they came out. No lay person in today's world would have been entertained by Selbit's presentation. I'm not even sure they would have been fooled by it.
2) There was a dove production that was taught in the original Chavez Course that I think has been completely overshadowed by Channing Pollock's streamlined methods.
3) Passe Passe Bottles was a great trick in its time, but I think it has become somewhat overshadowed by The Multiplying Bottles
4) R.C. Buff's "Acrobatic Cane" has become completely overshadowed by Lewis Ganson's "Floating and Dancing Cane"that evolved from it.

It does behoove us, however, to remember what Sir Isaac Newton said when someone compared his extraordinary achievements in physics and mathematics: “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.”

And as has sometimes been said in the magic literature: "Many a good magic trick has been ruined by 'improvements.'"

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Hear, hear! Well put Sonny! Some effects have indeed been improved, and others have not.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Where is Jeff Busby? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL