The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Kundalini Rising (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

iwebexp
View Profile
New user
Ardmore, Oklahoma
25 Posts

Profile of iwebexp
I am in need of a clean exit. Once performed I always get busted on the gimmick. How can I dispose of quickly and without being caught?
Russ
View Profile
Regular user
Muskogee, Oklahoma
124 Posts

Profile of Russ
Who are you preforming for?

You will find that if you are preforming for friends an family, this is the most difficult group. The same goes for high school students if your a student yourself. And they don't mind badgering you to inspect things. The best thing to do for this group is non-gimicked stuff like cards and coins ring and string etc. Also learn the trick inside and out. Learn it so well that you can do it in your sleep. You may be trying to do stuff that is beyond your capablities. Do easy stuff like:

Card Warp
Twisting the Aces
followed with Doc Daley's Last Trick
etc.

While strangers aren't as likely to demand to inspect everything.

One thing to remember is that the trick isn't the magic, "you are the magic". Make your magic entertaining for the ones you are preforming for and don't come across as a smart ass.

Hopefully you have some reading material that explains these concepts. If not I am sure someone can recomend some.

Russ
"All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten" by Robert Fulghum
secondbaseman
View Profile
Loyal user
Amsterdam
225 Posts

Profile of secondbaseman
iwebexp I can help you with the kundali rising so if you need the help please pm me

greetings niels
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
What is special about this effect?

I'm not familiar with it. I know that it's a selected card with a rising card end, I think?

But what makes it special compared to a devano rising deck or other impromptu rising card tricks??
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Apprentice,
what makes Kundalini Rising special is, that it allows you to perform a very clean rising card effect with a borrowed deck. The card rises while the deck is in the card case. The card can even rise, while the spectator holds the case in his own hands!(this handling needs good spectator control) Before and after the effect the cards and the case may be freely examined, because they are in no way gimmicked.
Since it's not expensive, I think it's worth checking out, if you're interested in this kind of effect.

Uli
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Russ...
With all due respect, Daley's Last Trick, Card Warp and Twisting the Aces are *not* "easy" tricks.

They take a lot of work and practice to pull off correctly. They are easier than some of the knucklebusters out there...but mastering (not just learning) the Elmsley Count and even the DL can take a long, long time. (See some of the other threads on these topics scattered throughout this board.)
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
Steve,

Your make a good point about mastering something being different than learning. Too many magicians have glossed over basic sleight of hand in favor of the newest "fourteen packet, one-handed false sybil cut with the heel pressure half pass and flying double to the spectator's shirt pocket" juggling move. (sorry for the sarcasm, but I am definitely of the natural handling school of magic)

If I could emphasize one thing to card magicians just starting out, it would be to pursue the goal of making the basic sleights absolutely indetectable and natural.

Thanks,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Richard:
I was watching the Canadian documentary on Dai Vernon last night...and it quoted him on a point which I think is incredibly right on target.

In my opinion (and his), too many magicians today perform flourishes with the objective being to say something to the effect of, "look at this neat move; I did something you couldn't catch." Vernon was paraphrased as saying while you can do that, it's better to be able to incorporate the effect into something that becomes truly magical.

I am truly in awe of the people who can perform a full range of flourishes. I can't begin to measure up to their technical ability. But I do believe that magic is more than flourishes; that the ability to draw people in and leave them enchanted, as well as amazed, is the true value of what we do.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Russ
View Profile
Regular user
Muskogee, Oklahoma
124 Posts

Profile of Russ
Quote:
On 2002-10-26 09:45, stevepr104 wrote:
Russ...
With all due respect, Daley's Last Trick, Card Warp and Twisting the Aces are *not* "easy" tricks.

They take a lot of work and practice to pull off correctly. They are easier than some of the knucklebusters out there...but mastering (not just learning) the Elmsley Count and even the DL can take a long, long time. (See some of the other threads on these topics scattered throughout this board.)

You are correct. Card Warp, Twisting the Aces, and Doc Daley'a Last Trick isn't easy to do. If one is going to do magic one needs to acquire at least a basic level of proficiency. IMO these are on the low end of difficulty scale.
Card Warp requires no sleights only presentation. Twisting the Aces requires a Buckle, Elmsley Count, and a Double Turn Over and of course presentation. Doc Daley's Last Trick requires a couple of Double Turn Overs and presentation. I don't really think this is out of the range for a beginner to learn.

Eugene Burger said in one of his books, that in order to do effective card magic, one needs to be able to force a card, control it to the top, and be able to palm it off. For some reason he isn't fond of the DL. I think Harry Lorayne said that one needs is a good control, a DL, and a palm. All of which requires practice and rehearsal.

iwebexp, said:
"I am in need of a clean exit. Once performed I always get busted on the gimmick. How can I dispose of quickly and without being caught?"

I can only guess as to what the problem is. Most likely iwebexp isn't doing the required practice and rehearsal to do what heshe is trying to do.

Russ
"All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten" by Robert Fulghum
Tolga Ozuygur
View Profile
New user
Istanbul / Turkey
60 Posts

Profile of Tolga Ozuygur
I may also recommend to do ungaffed,
untricked staff among your friends. I do not do the Kundalini rising but my mentor Tora gets the gimmick like a bracelet in a wink of an eye. Nobody sees it and he uses again and again.
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
iwebexp
View Profile
New user
Ardmore, Oklahoma
25 Posts

Profile of iwebexp
Yes, that is my problem, getting the gimmick back in a wink. I either drop and then loose it (which is clean, because no one catches that, but cost more to replace) or while trying to get the "bracelet" back, they see I am trying to do something and then notice.

I do the twisting aces and card warp and many others, I do pretty good at sleight of hand. But just getting the gimmick off this one is killing me. I can get it on and perform the trick no problem, just cleaning up.
secondbaseman
View Profile
Loyal user
Amsterdam
225 Posts

Profile of secondbaseman
There is a very nice way of getting the bracelet back on youre wrist.
when you get half of the deck and you take it out of the cover and give the cover ore card box how ever you wan to call it. to the spectator ore drop it onto the table. 99% of the time people want to see in the box wile they are doing that get the deck with the bracelet on in a biddle grip sqeeuze the deck and put youre 4 fingers of youre left hand underneath it turn the deck around and the bracelet is know around youre fingers. wait fore a good time to role it back to youre wrist

hope this helps

Niels
iwebexp
View Profile
New user
Ardmore, Oklahoma
25 Posts

Profile of iwebexp
Secondbaseman,

Great tip. I practiced until I figured exactly how it works for me, and I have performed it now and has worked great so far. Thank you very much for your help. I dont know why I was having such a problem with that. But the answer just eluded me Smile
secondbaseman
View Profile
Loyal user
Amsterdam
225 Posts

Profile of secondbaseman
Hey youre welcome thats wy we are here fore helping each other enjoy

greetings Niels
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Kundalini Rising (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL