The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What size sponge balls do you use? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

love2laugh
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of love2laugh
For sponge ball magic mine are 2" yet I'm thinking about going bigger.

For cups and balls mine are 0.75" and am quite happy.

~L2L
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Cups and balls: about 5/8 inch
sponge ball routine: 1 inch

it's not the size, it's what you do with them.

Unless you have GOOD patter for the sponge balls, you are likely better off to use the sponge rabbits.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Cups and Balls - 1" to 1 and 1/8". I used to prefer 3/4" and 7/8" but as I worked and practiced I found the slightly larger size began to come more naturally to me, and I like the look of the bigger balls when they sit on the cup.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
7/8 the for regular cups or 1 1/4 for street cups.

1 1/2 for sponge balls.
Chris
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use 1 1/2" super soft spongeballs because they handle great and they're easier to fit into a small child's hand. I've seen Steve Hart use 3" spongeballs - looks great, but they're too big for me to handle smoothly.
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
I use 2" sponge balls. The 3D sponge bunnies are great as well.

For cups and balls I use 7/8".

Use what feels best.

Take care,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
I use the 2" sponge balls. They handle well and you can fit them in other people's hands with ease. I prefer sponge bunnies instead of balls though. (easier patter)

-Shalin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Depends on the size of your hand. Forget dimentions and go for look Everyone is correct with their size suggestions. You should use the largest possible ball for the hand you have. In magic in general you want the largest possible load out of the smallest possible place. This holds for illusions as well as sponges. Just find the biggest sponges you are comfortable with and use them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Bob Swadling has an interesting shell game set, which will be posted on my web site soon. It is machined from fairly heavy aluminum -- looks like the wooden sets that Rink made years ago. The pea is a yellow sponge ball. The weight of the shell allows you to put a larger ball under one of the shells and have it lie flat on the table for an interesting climax to the shell game.

This is good if you are presenting the shells as a demonstration of a magic trick, but I don't think it would be good if you were doing a hustling kind of presentation.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
I also use 1 1/2" super soft spongeballs for a small in the spectators hands routine.
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Quote:
On 2005-07-30 19:02, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

it's not the size, it's what you do with them.

She only told you that so you wouldn't have your feeling hurt! <--(only a joke HA HA)

Mine are 2" Super Soft because I was told the bigger the better!!!!

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I like 2" but I currently switched to 1.5"
for a few reasons.

I buy them by the bag-o-50
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I recently switched over to the smaller inch sized balls......

The mail reason for doing so is to maximize the amount of room in the pocket, and minimize the bulge the larger balls make.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
I have 1.5 inch super soft, I really like them, but I find they are hard to find
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
I recently decided to learn some sponge ball routines, and I bought 2" balls and a booklet, the Magic City Library of Magic Vol #9 on Sponge Balls. The 2" balls were the only size available where I bought them (and the booklet). I thought this was ironic as the author, Leo Behnke, says, right at the beginning of Chapter 1:

"I also believe, however, that you shouldn't work with polyfoam balls that are over 1" in diameter for the basic magic. Keep the larger balls as surprises at the ends of he routines for magical changes from samll balls into large ones. In working with larger balls during a basic routine you do demonstrate to a layman, over and over, that you have to squeeze the balls to even handle them, and from there it is just a short jump to the correct conclusion of mashing the balls together."

Thoughts?
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
I use two inch sponge balls in my parlor show and for birthday parties. I use the sponge rabbits in the resturants for table hopping.
the_houdini_jester
View Profile
Loyal user
Charlottesville, Virginia
264 Posts

Profile of the_houdini_jester
I'm using 2 inch inch size sponge balls(Gosh Brand). I'm trying two find some 1 inch baseballs for Cups and Balls. Right now I'm using 7/8, I flat out hate them.

Alex
All the Magic things I don't have are like the foods I've never had. One day I'll have some but I will never have all.
Tawkin2ya
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Tawkin2ya
Check out this video done with Jumbo Sponge Balls, it is absolutley HILARIOUS! I've also just started playing around with "Billy McCombs' McCombical Stage Sponges".
Ray
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What size sponge balls do you use? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL