The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Scaling in an act? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
I wasn't sure where exactly to post this, but what do you think about scaling/card throwing in an act, and how would you introduce it, I thought perhaps a continuation of an ACR?
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I don't think card scaling would work very well in a busking act, because the setup time to gather all of the thrown cards would be too great between sets. Smile

Actually, I love scaling cards. And I have seen and learned from some of the best in person; McBride and Rick Smith Jr. And as a magician, who can stick a card in plasterboard at 20 feet (My wife gets really ticked when I do it at home...) I seriously think you would have a tough time impressing spectators enough to make it worthwhile.

It is fine for showing off for magicians. But I just think there are a lot more exciting things for lay spectators.

And if you didn't pick up the cards, the police and local business folks would make it hard for you to come back to that spot for a repeat appearance.

Important rule for the Busker: Be a good citizen, and don't make anyone mad at you. Smile

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Nothing is impossible on the street, maybe as a knife throwing act! It means bringing targets with you. Whitch maybe more than you would like to deal with.
And always clean up after your self.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I like the target idea. "Not just heaving a card forth, oh no! Marksmanship I tell you, marksmanship. Started out with just a big circle, got so good I had to add the middle rings later to make it interesting." Plenty fun to be had here. Large target would be quite the eye catcher too. What do you make the target out of? I dunno. Throw old cards with your info on them. Offer something, I don't care what, just something. Let those watching know about the offer on cards. Should help with the clean up/gee I wish I could get my name and info out to the public, problem.
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
I lie kthat idea, an intersting way of getting your business card out
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You could have a lot of fun with this. Use a spectator from the audience as the target. Just before you throw the first card, put safety goggles on him. Then keep adding protective gear until he is really bundled up.

This has remarkable comedy possibilities.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
MM something to bear in mind when I can spend more money on an act, at the moment Im thinking Full medieval plate armour Smile
CardThrower
View Profile
New user
Cleveland, OH
18 Posts

Profile of CardThrower
Wow, I havent been on this site in almost two years. I use card scaling in my act everyday. Use it for a whole bunch of different reasons. You can use it throw a card away when you guess wrong, or you can try and do some kind of card stunt, and have there selected card end up in an apple or a watermellon, by throwing it into it. You can also use it if you learn to be accurate to give your business card out by throwing them or if its a kid show at the end of the performance give someone a chance to win $1000 if they can throw further than you. Those are just a few things that I do all the time. Hope all is well in the magic community of card scalers.

Rick
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
Wow is that the Rick Smith :-o? Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not sure about the last one, I doubt I can throw a card quite as far as you!
Another Rik
Glenn Alloway
View Profile
Regular user
Edmonton AB Canada
103 Posts

Profile of Glenn Alloway
I like Bill's idea with the safety equipment. I have done this once before where I cut a Carrot in half. My favorite part is when you put an oven mitt on the spectators hand, then hand them the vegtable to hold. They have no idea what's up, but they start getting nervous. Always good for a laugh.
"This is madness and yet there is method in it." ~Shakespeare
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Scaling in an act? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL