The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "Perfect" Faro shuffle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quote:
On 2009-02-26 13:42, FILL--IPINESS wrote:
Quote:

A perfect Faro is different from a faro.

Is it ?

to me it sounds like redundancy , like if the double lift was called "The perfect double lift" or if the second deal was called "the perfect second deal"

FILL

I disagree. In generic terms, a faro is a type of shuffle where the cards are woven together in a particular manner. If each stack of the weave contains exactly half of the cards AND the weave is perfectly interlaced it is said to be a perfect faro. As mentioned earlier, a straddle faro does not meet either condition for a perfect faro yet it is still a faro shuffle.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2009-02-26 13:49, Steven Keyl wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-26 13:42, FILL--IPINESS wrote:
Quote:

A perfect Faro is different from a faro.

Is it ?

to me it sounds like redundancy , like if the double lift was called "The perfect double lift" or if the second deal was called "the perfect second deal"

FILL

I disagree. In generic terms, a faro is a type of shuffle where the cards are woven together in a particular manner. If each stack of the weave contains exactly half of the cards AND the weave is perfectly interlaced it is said to be a perfect faro. As mentioned earlier, a straddle faro does not meet either condition for a perfect faro yet it is still a faro shuffle.

Precisely, and let's not forget Marlo's incomplete Faro. A Faro shuffle yes... aperfect faro shuffle?.. of course not. I think the thread is dead.

Fish
FILL--IPINESS
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of FILL--IPINESS
I understand your point but to me the term 'Faro Shuffle' , only , is better suitable for the called "Perfect Faro Shuffle" , or what could be called the "Standard Faro Shuffle"

The other variations like the ones mentioned are also faro shuffle but since they're not the standard people will always refer to them with their specific name to identify them.

If you do a straddle faro to a group of magicians and say : "Look at my faro shuffle" , the ones that don't know about the straddle faro will either think you are joking or that you are crazy , and the ones who know about the straddle faro will correct you and tell you that it is a "Straddle Faro" not a faro shuffle

So , my point is that the term 'Faro shuffle' is already used in general to refer to the standard faro......I see no reason to call it "The Perfect Faro Shuffle" and while the other variations are also faro shuffles those are the ones that should be called with their specific names for better identification ( Straddle , Incomplete , whateva )

FILL
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
With that logic you cannot call it a faro shuffle if it is not perfect. (If 2 of the cards are not correctly interwoven, for example). So then what name should be given to that type of shuffle?

A related issue is that replete through the magic literature are references to faro shuffles that need not be perfect. For example, let's say you need to execute a faro that weaves only the top 10 cards perfectly. If the rest are not perfectly woven it makes no difference to the outcome of the effect. This is still called a faro shuffle by every magic author I have read.

But to each their own. It certainly won't upset me if you don't use the term perfect faro.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Jupiter47
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Jupiter47
Just thought I'd throw in that Alex Elmsley has some great work on what to do if you cut one card too many or one card too less on both the in and out Faro without breaking and re-estimating. VERY useful to anyone who's Faro isn't literally 100% perfect
Enzo
View Profile
Loyal user
CA
243 Posts

Profile of Enzo
Just a question regarding the faro. I noticed that doing faros tends to wear down my cards pretty quickly at the corners (from pressing them together all the time). Is this normal? I have some plastic cards which of course do not have that problem (and by the way make a faro really easy), but it feels a little like cheating to use them. Smile

By the way, Silverking, thanks for clearing up the "how long does it take" issue. Like others here, I too found that it was relatively easy to interweave the cards perfectly, but getting a 26/26 cut quickly every time is a real b***.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Quote:
On 2009-02-26 22:24, Jupiter47 wrote:
Just thought I'd throw in that Alex Elmsley has some great work on what to do if you cut one card too many or one card too less on both the in and out Faro without breaking and re-estimating. VERY useful to anyone who's Faro isn't literally 100% perfect

You wouldn't happen to have a more specific reference for that? It would be great luck if it happened to be somewhere in a book I own. Smile

Quote:
On 2009-02-27 04:47, Enzo wrote:
Just a question regarding the faro. I noticed that doing faros tends to wear down my cards pretty quickly at the corners (from pressing them together all the time). Is this normal? I have some plastic cards which of course do not have that problem (and by the way make a faro really easy), but it feels a little like cheating to use them. Smile

I don't think that is normal, no. Perhaps you are using a bit too much pressure. I don't know how long you have been doing Faros, but I first started relaxing more after having been able to Faro for quite some time.

Cards are also cut from a large sheet with the cutting blade going in one direction. Modern playing cards Faro easiest towards you when they are new. (Starting from the top of the deck as opposed to the bottom).

See this thread for an excellent explanation and cure: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=2

You can also smoothen the edges of a new deck ever so slightly with an ultra fine emery file or paper (like they sell in hobby stores, a lot finer than a nail file) to take the roughness of the cut away. That helps a little, but be very very gentle and run the file in one direction only as to not split the paper fibers.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Enzo
View Profile
Loyal user
CA
243 Posts

Profile of Enzo
Thanks for the comments, Noobini. I was aware of the thread and I was indeed using the cheapest bikes (it's very hard to get the more expensive/better ones over here). I just ordered some packs of "Master edition" bikes and some bees. Would love to try Richard Turner's traditionally cut gold seal bikes, but a minimum order of three dozen and $42 (!) shipping for a total of $222 is way outside of my budget. (You wouldn't happen to know where to get them in Europe, would you?).
lejon
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of lejon
Quote:
On 2005-12-27 02:35, wsduncan wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-12-26 23:18, silverking wrote:
Learning a perfect faro off a DVD in a day is a pipe dream.
This will take years to perfect....I chuckle when I see people claim they picked up a perfect faro in an hour or two.

You can LEARN a faro shuffle in an hour or two. Perfecting ANYTHING takes more than that...

I would strongly recommend that you study Mr. Close's work on the Faro shuffle. He has a number of techniques for when you miss on the cut to 26, or the weave isn't perfect, that allow you to adjust "under fire" and continue with the effect. Working pros know how to deal when something goes wrong, and Close is as professional as they come.

And many good faro effects don't require a cut at 26, or a perfect weave all the way through the pack, so the idea that you have to master a "perfect faro" to make use the technique, is false.

actually if I follow your logic, you can learn a faro in 5 minutes. just need to read the document.

but theres NO way you pull out a faro in 30 min........

but then again, to me, being able to do a technique is to be able to do it at every single attempt...... every single one. if you cant do everytime, then you cant do it....
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Quote:
On 2009-02-27 10:07, Enzo wrote:
Thanks for the comments, Noobini. I was aware of the thread and I was indeed using the cheapest bikes (it's very hard to get the more expensive/better ones over here). I just ordered some packs of "Master edition" bikes and some bees. Would love to try Richard Turner's traditionally cut gold seal bikes, but a minimum order of three dozen and $42 (!) shipping for a total of $222 is way outside of my budget. (You wouldn't happen to know where to get them in Europe, would you?).

There are many magic dealers who carry the Richard Turner cards in individual packets, probably some in Europe as well (and online stores in Europe like http://www.cards4magic.co.uk or Penguinmagic), but it's not going to be anywhere near as good a deal as if getting the $222 shipment from Richard Turner himself. I managed to do it myself even though I don't have a job or anything now. Just had to eat boring cheap food for a couple of weeks. It's worth it in my opinion. The actual cost of each deck came to half of what the regular ones cost here.

Still, it is perfectly doable to faro with regular cards. Just a little bit tougher with a brand new deck. You should do fine with the ones you have ordered.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2009-02-26 14:38, FILL--IPINESS wrote:
I understand your point but to me the term 'Faro Shuffle' , only , is better suitable for the called "Perfect Faro Shuffle" , or what could be called the "Standard Faro Shuffle"

The other variations like the ones mentioned are also faro shuffle but since they're not the standard people will always refer to them with their specific name to identify them.

If you do a straddle faro to a group of magicians and say : "Look at my faro shuffle" , the ones that don't know about the straddle faro will either think you are joking or that you are crazy , and the ones who know about the straddle faro will correct you and tell you that it is a "Straddle Faro" not a faro shuffle

So , my point is that the term 'Faro shuffle' is already used in general to refer to the standard faro......I see no reason to call it "The Perfect Faro Shuffle" and while the other variations are also faro shuffles those are the ones that should be called with their specific names for better identification ( Straddle , Incomplete , whateva )

FILL

Okay, I hear what you are sayingand with all due respect you are incorrect. The term perfect has nothing to do with how well its done. Perfect refers to the fact that a perfect cut has been made( 26 and 26) and they have been interwoven card for card throughout the pack. That is a perfect Faro. Straddle Faros Incomplete Faros Or just plain old Faros for shuffling where you don't care about the weave being perfect- these are all faro shuffles. but they are not perfect faros.
renfrini
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of renfrini
Paul Gertner's unshuffling the faro shuffle featuring "unshuffled" had me doing perfect faro shuffles in about an hour. Of course the deck is in new deck order and finding the center is just a matter of memorization.
Jupiter47
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Jupiter47
Quote:
On 2009-02-27 06:40, The Amazing Noobini wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-26 22:24, Jupiter47 wrote:

You wouldn't happen to have a more specific reference for that? It would be great luck if it happened to be somewhere in a book I own. Smile

Quote:
On 2009-02-27 04:47, Enzo wrote:

I don't think that is normal, no. Perhaps you are using a bit too much pressure. I don't know how long you have been doing Faros, but I first started relaxing more after having been able to Faro for quite some time.

Cards are also cut from a large sheet with the cutting blade going in one direction. Modern playing cards Faro easiest towards you when they are new. (Starting from the top of the deck as opposed to the bottom).

See this thread for an excellent explanation and cure: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=2

You can also smoothen the edges of a new deck ever so slightly with an ultra fine emery file or paper (like they sell in hobby stores, a lot finer than a nail file) to take the roughness of the cut away. That helps a little, but be very very gentle and run the file in one direction only as to not split the paper fibers.

It is one of the opening pages in his Faro section of his Vol 2 His Collected Works. Very useful information it is, if you don't have the book and wish to know I PM me and I am happy to give you the details Smile
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2009-02-28 19:08, renfrini wrote:
Paul Gertner's unshuffling the faro shuffle featuring "unshuffled" had me doing perfect faro shuffles in about an hour. Of course the deck is in new deck order and finding the center is just a matter of memorization.

That post will help you establish your credibility on the Café.

You're an exceptional card man, massively skilled.

An hour you say!???................
Enzo
View Profile
Loyal user
CA
243 Posts

Profile of Enzo
Quote:
Quote:
Of course the deck is in new deck order and finding the center is just a matter of memorization.

That post will help you establish your credibility on the Café.

You're an exceptional card man, massively skilled.

An hour you say!???................

If you read well, the explanation is in his post. He doesn't cut the cards, but he "finds the center". Also, he doesn't claim to hit every faro. He was "doing perfect faros".

I also got perfect intertwining once or twice within the first hour (with new cards it's not that difficult), but by then I was still a long way from being able to do it every time. Let alone cutting the cards 26/26 without looking.
Furniture
View Profile
Elite user
London
415 Posts

Profile of Furniture
I have been practicing the perfect faro for quite a while. Recently I managed to get consistently perfect faros, but you have to rely on the condition of your card to guarantee a success.

I recommend everybody interested in the perfect faro, to check the effect described by Tamariz in Mnemonica, a real piece of magic that makes use of the mathematics of the faro shuffle. 8 perfect faro shuffle make the deck go back to the original order. You can check this post if you are interested http://furnituremysterytour.blogspot.com......fle.html

Take care and work on your faros!
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Why post these types of things on YouTube? What could possibly be the benefit of this?

Gianni
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "Perfect" Faro shuffle (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL