The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » T&R newspaper.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
I recently started using a method for single sheet, tabloid sized t&r paper from the Learned Pig Project. The only presentation I can come up with is that I don't use "Real" magic, I create illusions and now I'm going to create the illusion that I'm ripping up this paper but (in the end)you can see that it never happened. It was all illusion. Anyone have any ideas of different presentation without violating any copyrights?

Sammy the Kid
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
Presentation is something extremely hard to copyright and enforce...presentation is stolen all the time. You should not have to worry a WHOLE lot about that...

As for presentation...I think it looks darn good done to music...but that is just me...it is not what you are looking for though...you are asking about patter...so I will shut up now.
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-08-14 02:20, Sammy the Kid wrote:...I'm going to create the illusion that I'm ripping up this paper but (in the end)you can see that it never happened. It was all illusion. ...

A very similar presentation was used for exactly that trick in 'The Recruit', a recent movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0292506/
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
Dangit! I knew all of Life's answers can be found in the movies!I need to watch more TV! I'm telling my wife Jonathan said so Smile ! I don't remember ever having seen The Recruit, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. It might have sunk in from somewhere else, but it's still a usable routine for me. Music doesn't really work for the close-up version I do but might be something for my stageparlor routine.

Thanks,
Sammy the Kid
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That was also the same basic patter that Gene Anderson used in his version of the newspaper tear. Doug Henning used part of that himself.

Why won't music work for the close-up version? Bring a minidisc player or an iPod along with you. Don't limit your thinking.

I heard that patter done so many times that I came up with one that was a lot better for me.

I started with "Some of you will think you actually see the newspaper being torn (RIP) Some will think you HEAR the sound of newpaper tearing (RRRIIIIPPP!) There's a good reason for that. I actually tear the newspaper. That's why you can see separate pieces.

And the routine went on from there.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
As always Bill knows all, and has a simple answer for the solution.
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
I figured out a twist to use on the "Illusion of Tearing". As I reveal the restored paper and state that I never tore the paper at all, either a big hole torn from the center or a corner piece ripped away falls to the floor. "Okay.... maybe I ripped it a little." It played pretty good on some friends tonight. Any thoughts?

Sammy the Kid
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Eleazar Goodenough has added a nice bit to the end of his Ultimate Newspaper Tear ( in his book "Tear-Able Magic" on my web site). During the tearing of the newspaper, he "accidentally" drops an odd shaped torn piece to the floor. Then when he shakes out the restored paper, the audience (especially if they are kids!)is quick to note the odd shaped torn section on one corner of the newspaper and the torn piece still lying on the floor. He picks up the piece to show that it exactly fits in the corner section. But wait... there's more! He gives it a flick and the torn piece merges with the rest of the restored newspaper. He rubs the corner to show that it is solidly restored, then casually drops the entire restored newspaper into the hands of the nearest spectator before going on with his next effect.
Eleazar just celebrated his 8th birthday in July. If he invents any more stuff like this, I'm going to the old Wizards' Home and hide out.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-08-14 13:08, KyletheGreat wrote:
Presentation is something extremely hard to copyright and enforce...presentation is stolen all the time. You should not have to worry a WHOLE lot about that...

I think I should point out that certain aspects of presentation are very easy to copyright and enforce. One of them is the script. Harry Anderson had a playlet that he wrote that had his best routines in it. He copyrighted it under the same set of rules used for a play. And the copyright also covered his written stage directions and any excerpting from the playlet.

Enforcing these may not be as difficult as you think. For example, if someone sees you do a routine that another performer has written, and then they tell the other performer, you may not find that performer's reaction to be pleasant. It's always better to ask.

Copying other people's presentations can also cost you work. I have a lot of original material. One afternoon, I got a call from a friend of mine who is a booking agent. She told me that a local magician had sent her a videotape with several of my routines on it. She told him to come back when he had an act of his own.

Then she called me.

Then I called him.

Then he apologized.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Steve Vaughn of http://www.magicbroadcast.com Internet Magic Radio will be reviewing Eleazar Goodenough's book, "Tear-Able Magic; Paper Magic for Wizards" on Saturday, Sept 24th, 9:45 EDT, 8:45 CDT, 7:45 MDT, 6:45 PDT. Among the items to be reviewed will be Eleazar's Ultimate Newspaper Tear.

Steve's written review of the book will appear on Magic Talk - http://www.magictalk.com

We have no idea of what Steve will say in his review, but we are grateful to him for reviewing this 8 year old author's first magic book on his show.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » T&R newspaper.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL