The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Roll (Walk) help needed? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Menthol
View Profile
New user
*Cough*Delaware*Cough*
33 Posts

Profile of Menthol
Sorry for the double post, I just timed myself. only 37 in a minute. I got till febuary, so hopefully I can get a little faster. I know for a fact I roll dollars a lot slower then halfs....so I think I'll stick with my barbers, unless some one knows of a thinner coin. Please don't say a dime. Smile
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Menthol--did you see the rule I left out? You re limited to American coins in circulation. Good luck getting a clear definition on that one.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Menthol
View Profile
New user
*Cough*Delaware*Cough*
33 Posts

Profile of Menthol
Yes I did see that Curtis, for a second I started sweating...I thought you ment the one about going around the pinky Smile Hopefully it won't limits my use of barbers, Technically any coin is in circulation as long as you spend it right? I'm going to email them about it, Hopefully they'll be fine with it. I wonder how the judges judge at the time of record breaking. Best outta three tries? Ugh, I'm just going to email them. I'll let everyone know when I find out.
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
Hm.. interesting... I'm doing it wrong over the years wrongly as well... Arooo!

Man... is there really a "standard" for this...?
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Well, I'm not alone in that. Am I the only guy who uses a mag half and a PK magnet?

After all, you could spend the mag half, so it's still in circulation. I hear some are. Smile
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Magius
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magius
Hahaha, I wonder if it's real. I don't believe it, I can do 50, and I'm just a regular teenager with a life...

Practice with both hands, and while palming coins. In some situations, useful as a subtelty. The upside down one can actually be used with kaps... pretty nice.
Neophyte.
llsouder
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of llsouder
Quote:
On 2005-10-18 18:22, Jordini wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-10-18 17:14, Curtis Kam wrote:

I've been doing this wrong all these years. I've been cheating, and skipping the roll over my fourth finger. However, since that's not allowed, and the coin is supposed to "make a revolution around the HAND" as opposed to the first three fingers, which mine does, I must have been raised by wolves, or something.

So how do all of you guys get the coin to roll around the litle finger?

You just need a very long thumb so you can catch it as it falls off the pinky......I guess. I'm not sure, because apparently I have been cheating as well.

Thank you, I must have short thumbs too! I've been trying to do a coin walk for close to 30 years and I could never get the coin back up from my pinky. I would see a guy do a slick walk and start practicing again but it always hurt my hands.
(I gotta try skipping the last finger... NOW! My co workers will soon be cursing you as they hear coins falling in my cube Smile)
Menthol
View Profile
New user
*Cough*Delaware*Cough*
33 Posts

Profile of Menthol
I asked them a ton of stuff, and here is pretty much the reply I got. Hopefullly this will help anyone else looking to enter.

> Does this mean I can't use Barber Half's? They don't mint them
> anymore, but If I spend it, its technically in circulation right?

No, you cannot use Barber Halves. While you may be able to circulate
them, they are no longer minted, so they are not in /current/
circulation, as specified by the rules.

> How is the actual Guinness contest judged? I was guessing best outta
> three times?

To get the Guinness standards, you can contact them through their

> The contest ends on the 28th, is there a limit to the number of
> entries I can submit, and when will the winner(s) be announced?

The winner will be announced when the judges reach their
final decision.

>If I were to send you a DVD, would you take Plus R or Minus R ?

You can enter as many times as you wish, preferably on DVD+R (we can
take DVD-R, as well), but only the fastest of your entries will be
considered.

Is anyone else planning on entering, or am I alone on this one?
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I could do the walk down like clock work on my left hand but not my right or the walk up. And then those guys like KAINOA who can do both hands and then alternating and AARRGGHH!!!!
Its frustrating and incredible at the same time
Menthol
View Profile
New user
*Cough*Delaware*Cough*
33 Posts

Profile of Menthol
I asked them about doing both hands at once also, they said they'd only count the hand with the highest rolls...Kinda sucks. Kainoa still amazes me every time I see him. He's the reason I learned with both hands, I seen him do it and got so angry that I couldn't I just practiced until I could. It didn't take long, 12 hours straight and I could do the walk down, a little after I could walk up. Read my post above for how I learned. Matter of fact here is a quick study guide:
1. abandon your life.
2. give up everything else you are currently doing.
3. eat, sleep, and drink coin rolls. (tasty)
4. **** other people off with the steeple chase discrepency.
5. Die happy, and add some very fluid productions, and a wonderful utility move to every trick you already do.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
(CHING!!!!!) that is the worst sound, my wife hates it but it happens everytime I drop a coin.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Practice on your bed, that way the coin won't make that horrible sound, and you don't have to go far to recover the coin.

As far as this whole thing goes, I think it's stupid, from a magic point of view. Sure you can say "I can roll coins faster than you" but that's about it. I was watching "Tyas" or "Oz with no hair" as I like to call him, on that video, and he was fast, but not smooth. I knew a guy in high school who had the smoothest coin roll I have ever seen. It did not look like he was rolling the coin, it looked like the coin was moving by itself around his hand. I think that is what we should try to achive, not speed.

SIDE NOTE: Can anyone do the "skip" move? I saw Johnny Ace Palmer do it in his lecture. He was talking about the coin and how it could "walk" or "run" (coin roll faster) and then he said "or jump" (I think it was jump I could be wrong) and he skipped it over his middle two fingers, straight from hims index finger to his pinky. I couldn't do this for a while but I practiced and now I can. It's fun but I never really use it.
Menthol
View Profile
New user
*Cough*Delaware*Cough*
33 Posts

Profile of Menthol
Sure this thing is stupid...But what other type of recognition can you get from rolling coins? Just think, updating a Resume with a World record! The goal of the record is not smoothness, IMO It can't be if your going for speed. I'd gladly sacrifice smoothness for speed if I could get 60 rolls in a minute. Anyone can be smooth with practice, but as far as that goes, in this contest it will hurt more then help. If you like the "skip" move, and can do it, check out Kainoa's steeplechase discrepancy, It has many of uses...It's one of my favorite utilities, and I guess you can tell, just about every post I have says something about it. Smile
Magius
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magius
Hey... well, I'm trying, but it's best to dash hopes soon. How fast is your walk?
Neophyte.
Menthol
View Profile
New user
*Cough*Delaware*Cough*
33 Posts

Profile of Menthol
I've only gotten to time myself twice, I need to make a point to do it a lot more Smile The first I was at 37 and the other 36...I'm going to the coin store tomorrow to find something that rolls nice, still in circulation. I can already tell I'm going to get hand cramps from all the practicing that's going to take place. If anything, I'm going to go for both hands.
Magius
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magius
Doesn't matter both hands or not, not for the record anyway. Of course, very useful as a subtlety. The upside down one can be used with kaps too, pretty nice.

You notice the past holders all used Dollars? That doesn't make sense to me, Half Dollars are faster, and for smaller hands, quarters. I'm about even at both, but Halves are heavier, so I use those (to keep them on my thumb when resetting position)
Neophyte.
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
Ha, just got a promotion email from the magic store saying that it will fly you to compete with others.

I myself tried once, and like many I'm skipping the pinky. I got 37-38 but I guess I'm not eligible anyway =) (I've watched the video there, the guy was shaking his hand for the back-to-thumb, so I'm not sure if he is skipping his pinky as well...)

Frankly I have no intention to join this competition, but it's fun to see how fast can people go.

And Magius, I'm using Walking Liberty and I agree with you. In a physics sense a dollar has a larger Moment of Inertia so it takes more energy to rotate it and stop it. So with the same amount of energy a half dollar rotates faster... ok, enough for physics...
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
Wrenn
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Wrenn
Quote:
On 2005-10-19 20:33, Jordini wrote:

SIDE NOTE: Can anyone do the "skip" move? I saw Johnny Ace Palmer do it in his lecture. He was talking about the coin and how it could "walk" or "run" (coin roll faster) and then he said "or jump" (I think it was jump I could be wrong) and he skipped it over his middle two fingers, straight from hims index finger to his pinky. I couldn't do this for a while but I practiced and now I can. It's fun but I never really use it.

I do a lot of these variations, they are fun. Place the coin on the index finger, pull down on either edge with the middle finger and thumb, then release suddenly with the thumb and the coin flies. Control is the hard part. You can make it jump both directions or from one hand to the other.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Roll (Walk) help needed? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL