The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Larry Jennings is "Amazing" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Elmsley4
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Elmsley4
My first exposure to Larry Jennings was doing Ray Kosby's oil & water and someone showed me the Jennings ending that I liked a lot. My second exposure (knowingly anyway) came when I got "Lake Tahoe Card Magic" by Louis Falanga and I did "The close-up illusion" and it's AMAZING. I love it! I want to get anything Jennings now! So tell me, is the rest of his stuff amazing as well, or did I just see his best? Smile Yes, this is a question more to incite conversation than of seriousness. What do you guess recommend?

-J
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of PapaG
If you haven't got the Classic Magic Of Larry Jennings then your library is incomplete.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
I have the 'Classic Magic of Larry Jennings', the Jennings issue of Richard's Almanac, 'Magic with Cards and Coins' and 'The Cardwright'.
I have to say that I like all of it but my favourite is 'Classic Magic'. There's so many good routines in that book, but maybe I'm just biased.
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
I beleive there is a new edition of Up in Smoke out now that was written by Bill Goodwin. It has Jenning's effects on it, but I don't have it, so I cannot give you much of a detailed review. For those that may have Up In Smoke, care to give us some feedback?
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2005-08-16 09:58, Jaybs wrote:
I beleive there is a new edition of Up in Smoke out now that was written by Bill Goodwin. It has Jenning's effects on it, but I don't have it, so I cannot give you much of a detailed review. For those that may have Up In Smoke, care to give us some feedback?

http://www.larryjennings.com
and then click on Up In Smoke
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Does anyone have 'neo-classics' by larry jennings? that is one booklet that I don't own. I'd be curious what people think of this. I know it has a trick where a deck transforms mid-air into an orange...

definitely a very under-used classic.
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
Peo,

I actually saw what was in Up In Smoke already, but I was looking for reviews.
thecardman
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
218 Posts

Profile of thecardman
I'd buy ANYTHING with Larry Jennings name on it. Up In Smoke is a fantastic publication and one that everyone that takes their close up seriously should own.

Another one that you should get is Jennings '67 by Richard Kaufman. Again, a great book with phenominal material in it.

And finally, if you can get hold of the Paris Super Sessions from a few years ago then take them with both hands and don't let go! Just make sure you pay for them first!!! Smile This was Jennings at his most relaxed when performing and it shows, as he is obviously really enjoying himself.

Good luck with it all!

Best wishes

Peter
:)
My new manuscript, "The Difficult Second Album", is now available at www.thecardman.co.uk
magicpro212
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of magicpro212
His are ideas are great and so is his book. I just can't stand to watch his vids he bores me to death.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I second the Paris tapes....Slow Motion Aces is great....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2005-08-16 16:26, thecardman wrote:
And finally, if you can get hold of the Paris Super Sessions from a few years ago then take them with both hands and don't let go! Just make sure you pay for them first!!! Smile This was Jennings at his most relaxed when performing and it shows, as he is obviously really enjoying himself.

Yes, I paid well over a hundred dollars a few years ago for the Paris session video with the Chop Cup routine. I was lucky enough to be able to spend some one-on-one hours with Jennings about 30 years ago. What a session!

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
jb201
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of jb201
I have everything I can find of his magic, and yes the rest of his stuff is amazing. In the Paris tapes he demonstrates the jiggle pass and you wont believe your eyes! If you can find these tapes get them. Jenning'67 is the first volume of a trilogy, we're still waiting on the other two "Mr.Jennings Takes It Easy and Mr.Jennings Takes It Tough". Neo-classic is o.k. it's lessons in card presentation. The booklet has three tricks:The Card in Orange, Spectator Finds the Aces and Cards Across.
mario_wong
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
43 Posts

Profile of mario_wong
Quote:
On 2005-08-16 20:22, joseph wrote:

I love Larry Jenning's stuff so much!

I was fooled so badly by his Invisible Palm in one of the Las Vaga Magic videos. I watch it again again and again with slow motion and still have no idea how it is possible! That is real magic to me!

His handling of cards is so elegant to watch, but he is kind of sick in Thought of Card and Classic Magic.

I wonder where could I order the Paris Tape, because so much people say that this one recorded his peak time!
Favorite Magicians:
Daryl
Larry Jennings
Allan Ackerman
Micheal Ammar
Bill Marlone
Lennart Green
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Quote:
On 2005-08-17 02:28, mario_wong wrote:

I wonder where could I order the Paris Tape, because so much ppl say that this one recorded his peak time!

Maybe we are lucky and it gets rereleased on DVD one day. When Up in Smoke can be reprinted, then I guess the tapes can also be remastered.

I Love Jennings KJV Oil and Water, His Cannibal Kings effect are hillarious and one of the best versions, Card up spectators sleeve in an one on one situation and of course Invisible Palm - well what a treat - it just blows people away.

I'm devoted.
thecardman
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
218 Posts

Profile of thecardman
Quote:
On 2005-08-16 20:22, joseph wrote:

Sshhhhhh! Don't tell them about that effect! It's WAY too good!

Best wishes

thecardman
:)
My new manuscript, "The Difficult Second Album", is now available at www.thecardman.co.uk
jb201
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of jb201
Mario, LL publishing has volume 1, I got the Paris tapes from Murphy magic supplies they have them, but they don't ship sales to individuals. What I did is my local magic dealer orders wholesale items from Murphy and they ordered the tapes for me, good luck.
DarrenHopkins
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, OH
7 Posts

Profile of DarrenHopkins
Quote:

I Love Jennings KJV Oil and Water, His Cannibal Kings effect are hillarious and one of the best versions, Card up spectators sleeve in an one on one situation and of course Invisible Palm - well what a treat - it just blows people away.

I'm devoted.

Speaking of Cannibal Kings, does this effect (Jennings Version) exist in print form?
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
The next Jennings book, "Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy," will be published later this year. All photos taken and synched with the text. Just need to do layout.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Larry Jennings is "Amazing" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL