The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Request: - Blind Luck & Pure Skill (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
Blind Luck & Pure Skill Video by Dan Paulus

I would appreciate a "hands-on" review of this effect. If you have either performed the effect or simply own the DVD, I'd appreciate hearing your comments and rating.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some knowledgeable feedback.

Ron
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
I don't think I have posted a review of anything before but I will give it a try.

From the DVD case: Blind Luck. A spectator freely chooses one of two decks, red or blue (not a force.) Whichever deck he chooses will be the deck he will use, the other deck will be placed aside. From his chosen deck the spectator reverses any card sight unseen. The deck that was placed aside is now spread on the table by the spectator. Amazingly, the exact same card is reversed in the deck! Now the kicker! - The two cards are turned over to show that not only do they match, but each card has the back design from the opposite deck! No sleights, no trick decks, no extra cards! Everything seems to work in the spectator's hands! Blind Luck has fooled and impressed some very knowledgeable magicians!

Pure Skill. One spectator names any number between one and fifty-two. A second spectator chooses a card from a red deck. Using a blue deck, the magician shuffles only once and skillfully gets the chosen card to the chosen number! Any number may be named! As in Blind Luck no trick deck of any kind is used!

Bonus! - The Zarro(sic) Shuffle. Expert tips and instuction for a sleight that in Dan's opinion is the greatest false fhuffle of all time!

My thoughts: I really like Blind Luck. I watched the performance part a few times and didn't have a clue as to the method (I do admit that I am fooled easily). It plays very well as an opener for me but could be a mentalism effect, if played right, by those who don't object to playing cards for mentalism effects. It plays just as it reads but to clarify: The deck chosen is placed behind the spectator's back or beneath a table, a card is picked from the middle of the deck and reversed. It matches the reversed card in the deck not chosen. It is not difficult to do (almost self-working) and you end clean as a whistle. You can use either deck afterwards to go onto your next effect. And, yes, the decks are all normal cards. According to Mr. Paulus's comments on the DVD he has been doing this effect since he was 16 years old. This effect is also offered on Mr. Paulus's video Up My Sleeve however, I believe that video is no longer available.

Pure Skill is one take on the any card at any number type of effect. It is also easy to do and I think a fooler but I have not tried it out "live". IMO it would make a good opener or, to me, a good encore type of effect and plays, also, as it reads above. I do have a story to tell about this effect. A few days after watching the DVD I was flipping through Garcia & Schindler's book Magic with Cards that has been on my bookshelf for years. I was looking for an easy trick for my 8 year old daughter, who likes card tricks, to do. I stumbled upon an effect called An Absolute Miracle that is the same effect and virtually the same method as Pure Skill . There are no credits on the DVD (or in the book) so I do not know the orgins of this method to this effect.

The "Bonus" is really just a short segment of Mr. Paulus teaching the Zarrow Shuffle. No real tips, just a short instruction on how to do the shuffle.

Final Thoughts: I do not purchase many DVDs (prefering books instead) nor am I a big fan of DVDs with only a one or two effects. But for some reason this caught my eye and I am having lots of fun with Blind Luck. It can be ordered directly from http://www.danscomedymagic.com or from your favorite dealer.

Courtney

PS: (BTW, off topic for a second, if you're looking for a trick where your child or spouse or anyone else can participate, try I'll Leave The Room from Magic with Cards. My daughter and I have been having lots of fun with it.)

PSS: This is posted in Trick & Effects section but should be moved to the Video/DVD section.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I purchase this one on VHS tape and really liked it. I wish I had a working VCR now so I could really learn it, as it is an excellent effect
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Request: - Blind Luck & Pure Skill (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL