The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Thank you for reading this letter. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Marty
Here's a letter I emailed to Trevor Lewis that explains a little about my background:

My interest in magic parallels my interest in music. During the early to mid 60's I began to play the drums and practice magic simultaneously. As time went by, the music business eclipsed the magic part of my life, and I started playing the drums full time. I became a professional musician. There was more money and job opportunities in music, so that’s the direction I developed. But, often I did both–I can remember being the warm-up act for my own band!

I still play music, but magic has always been in the background. The community orchestra I’m in is a great joy to me, but I like to get out there and perform magic on occasion too. As you can see, I’m not new to magic or the entertainment field in general, but kids’ show magic is something, until recently, I didn’t know that much about. Oh, I had performed for children before, but I just did one trick after another, and knew nothing of the bits of business that make a show fun for kids (you have to remember this was during the 60's and 70's).

Gradually, over the last year or so, after talking to many active and retired performers, I’ve been able to put together a good, solid kids’ birthday show. Using dealers, Ebay, and purchasing directly from individuals, I’ve acquired some excellent magic. What I’ve been doing is finding new effects and reacquainting myself with the old standards. For example, this last summer my wife and I visited London for a month, and I bought quite a few kid show effects from Bill Davenport and Martin at International Magic (Tricks like Freddie Frog’s Party, Humpty Dumpty Paper Tear, Visible Magic Painting, and Who’s Who At The Zoo––all made by (or for) Davenport’s). It was nice to deal with the folks at both magic shops, and I bought some great tricks not available in the States. Also, we were able to get reservation at The Magic Circle, and we had a very enjoyable evening. We saw a lot of excellent magic performed at The Magic Circle, as well as getting a tour of its museum and visiting with other magic enthusiasts. There were four close-up performers and four stage magicians doing a variety of new and old magic standards. Even my wife, Susan, who I believe, was a little skeptical as to whether she would enjoy an entire evening (three hours) of magic was thoroughly impressed, and she was fooled too! As a matter of fact, so was I, and both of us wondered afterwards; "how did he do the one where he guessed the exact word the spectator was thinking of?" However it was done, it was only one of many unusual and thought provoking-effects presented that night. During our stay in London, we saw a total of ten magicians, the eight at The Magic Circle, and two kid show performers doing their shows outside at street fairs. Although we visited many sights in London and the surrounding area, the magicians we saw will always be a memorable part of our wonderful English vacation.

But, mainly it’s been people like yourself who have helped me get back into the magic business–it hasn’t been the tricks I’ve purchased. Through encouragement and advice I’ve started to perform for an audience again–an audience of children at that! It was a bit nerve racking at first, but I know it will get easier. I love the way the kids respond to magic (sometimes it goes according to plan, sometimes it doesn’t). Because of the tips, bits of business, and routines you and others have provided, I’ve been able to have a very smooth show, and it puts a lot less stress on me. After all, magic should be fun and enjoyable–right?!

I don’t know if you saw the list of my show effects on the last email, so if you didn’t, here it is again. Any ideas, information, or critiques you have will be greatly appreciated, but don’t feel like you have to respond. I know you must be busy.

Here’s the show:

Introduction (5 mins):

1. Rules––here I state how I want the kids to behave––remain seated, set up straight and tall, and watch a listen quietly and carefully.

2. Clapping/laughing gags.

3. Warm-up trick––The Color Changing Shoelaces (this is David Ginn’s routine).

4. RUE cards––I had three 5"x 8" cardboard cards made up with each card having a R, U or E printed on them. The R and U are printed in black, but the E is printed red. When you have the audience repeat after you, it comes out "R-U-red E" or "Are you ready?" I then go into Bob Markwood’’s "I can't hear you" bit from Poof, You're a Frog.

Magic to Music (4 to 6 minutes of music with silent magic--I use old Venture's tunes for the music):

1. Crystal Cabinet––clear production box with hinged flap. I produce a couple bunches of spring flowers. I also do a funny bit with a Spring Wand.

2. No Tear Happy Birthday Banner––this is like a torn and restored newspaper except it's done with letters of the alphabet, and I produce a birthday banner at the end.

3. D'Alene––production of several bright red lights from an empty bag––I pretend to eat each one.

4. Vanishing Coke Bottle--done silently to music kids seem to like it.

5. Appearing, giant, foam tooth.

6. Square Circle––production of sponge hot dogs, two 30 foot silk streamers (which I get tangled up in) and a 36" colorful silk to end the silent part of the act.

Audience Participation (the bulk of the show––25-30 mins):

1. Tricky Bottles––old Abbott's version––I say the 7/11 brand of soda is one I found in England.

2. Time to Eat––production of a 10 ft. straw from a McDonald's bag.

3. Easiest Trick in the World––actually this is the Enchanted Coathanger––four silks, each a different color are made to fall off a coathanger one at a time (I use a Mark Leverage idea). A lot of by-play dressing the assistant up as a magician, using wands, etc.

4. The Vanishing Bandana––this is the part of the show where I supposedly show the audience how a trick is done. I perform the routine exactly like the instructions/tape.

5. Deja Zoo––ditto like Sammy Smith's directions.

6. Chuck, The Clown––I bought this in England. It's actually called something else, but the effect is that a black & white drawing of a clown becomes brightly colored by magic. I dress the kid up as an artist, with hat, vest and magic wand, etc.

7. Birthday Ending––I use David Ginn's Snake Can for this final effect. The birthday child is given large sunglasses to wear, a large toothbrush to brush his teeth, a large comb to comb his hair, etc, and four snakes pop out of a can of candy. The last snake has a 36" happy birthday silk attached to it, and that ends the show.

Well that's it. Again, thank you so much for you advise, and your video has been a real inspiration to me.

Marty Nordlof–-A.k.a. Marty the Magic Man
Eureka California, USA.

Thanks to all of you at The Magic Café for reading this letter.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Welcome aboard, Marty.
You'll find plenty of kid-show postings here because, after all, we're just kids at heart!
Smile
(Okay, some of us kids are older than others!)
Rod Lages
View Profile
Loyal user
Brasilia, Brazil
250 Posts

Profile of Rod Lages
Hi Marty,
Welcome to The Magic Café! Looking forward to your posts!

Enjoy,
Rod Lages
"Confusion isn't Magic" - Dai Vernon
explorer
View Profile
New user
California
49 Posts

Profile of explorer
Thanks for your post Marty. I always enjoy learning what others do in their performances.
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Hi Marty Smile Smile Smile
After a well developed and detailed resume I can only say that, I have already learned something by reading it. Welcome to the family and have a cup of strong Turkish coffee on my bill.

Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Welcome Marty. I can't wait to read your posts. What a great introduction letter you've given us. You must be tired after writing it though, so just sit back, relax and enjoy the Café. Have a refreshing pick me up on my bill. Smile Smile

Dave
Where the magic begins
Marty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Marty
Thanks for all the kind remarks, and I'm already enjoying the information provided by this forum (especially for kids' show performers). Marty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Thank you for reading this letter. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL