The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » How much do you practice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Several threads, one in particular, have in the course of the topic touched on proficiency of an enterainers ablitity to perform the tricks/effects they are offering their audiences in their shows....

This made me curious:

There are tons of working entertainers here...Magicians, Jugglers, Clowns, Mentalists...on and on.

So, how much time do you spend perfecting your Art? I'm curious about this for several reasons...A nice average, a mean, of how much time is spent would be a good baseline for the beginners amoung us; it's always motivational when someone hears how much time performer "A" is spening versus themselves (which may hopefully give them drive to put in some more time); and finally...I'm just a nosy s.o.b. and these kind of things interest me.

I'll get the ball rolling, so to speak.

Magic: 10 hours a week minimum (Right now Sleights and Cups and Balls)
Juggling: 25+ hours a week (as it is my mainstay, this is deserved...Working on 5b currently)
Ventriloquism: Roughly 10 hours a week, sometimes more, sometimes less (I practice this a lot while driving...Singing along with the radio with no lip movement)
Writing: 3-4 hours a week...I do a lot of 'thinking' as opposed to actually writing.

So, how's bout you? What is your practice schedule like?

Prof. Piper
:juggle:

P.S. I realize I've listed a LOT of hours here. Keep in mind I work in a chain of Magic shops...When it's slow I get to practice (juggling and Magic) to my hearts content...Also, I'm an insomniac...I refuse to waste the hours I can't sleep by sitting around doing nothing...Happy posting!
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I get in as much of it as I can possibly do, considering that sometimes when I come home from work my butt AND my mind is dragging the floor. Then there is my wife's needs, and the kids need this and that....sometime's life just gets in the way, but yes, I honestly DO try to get in several hours a week.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Explore new ideas and routines, about 7 hrs. a week.
Rehearse and work with routines I already know, about 2-4 hrs. on weekends.
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Daffy...

I hear ya loud and clear on that bud...It's hard to rehearse when you have the job/family to contend with...Although I'm fortunate and can actually concentrate on my show while at work (working in a magic shop helps!!), we're deluged at home too...We have 8 Malamute/Huskey mixes that we rescued that demand a LOT of time...

I think the fact that effort is put into it is commendable enough!

Jaz...

Thanks for the input...I know a lot of entertainers (especially around here) that really don't work on material that they think they have down-pat...and it shows when you see them perform, sadly.

Sincerely,

Prof. Piper
:juggle:
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I single out one trick/routine that I need to learn and focus all energy on learning it to a point where it is a natural reaction without conscious effort. At that point it becomes like riding a bike, I will always know how too do it solid every time, even after ten years without performance.

When I first played darts I was rubbish at it, after much development of my throwing style I would hit treble twenties on a regular basis. Thus the same was true with my shuffle and pass and so on.

So the answer is I practise in very short but intense bursts whenever the need arises.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » How much do you practice? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL