The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Poll: Does Restoration Hurt Collectible Value? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
I have been pondering this notion for some time and wanted to hear other opinions on this matter. Many great old props are highly collectible, but we all know that, even with the best care, age has its toll on these older props, especially the paint finish. Does refinishing or restoration work, even professionally done, impact on its collectibility and value? Or do collectors feel there is a certain "history" to aged props that should not be tampered with? Any opinions?
JordanMalfreed
View Profile
Regular user
California
116 Posts

Profile of JordanMalfreed
It all depends what the market thinks. If someone wants an unaltered original even if the alteration was made in the spirit of improvement, this buyer may choose to pass or give much less money for it. Though complex in specific application, I think the concept is fairly simple.

Regards,
Jordan
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
As someone who has been called on in the past to do restorations as well as recreations I believe the determination has to be made by the owner/collector as to what s/he wants, probably more than the market. If the CURRENT owner prefers to have all their collectible props look like Conradi, Roterbeg or Thayer just shipped them, well, it's their dime.

If looking for greater historical accuracy and/or eventual monetary return is more the thought, a minor cleaning and the barest of repair using authentic materials (no Phillips head screws in a Water Torture Cell, let's say) is in your best interest. This is the philosophy a majority of the "serious" collectors I have dealt with seem to adhere to.

For my part, I try to keep "new collectible" pieces in as good a condition as possible and do no more than necessary to true antiques to "place" them in the proper historical context. After I'm gone, the next guy gets to do what he wants with them!
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Poll: Does Restoration Hurt Collectible Value? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL