The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Working on a wooden surface (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dherberg
View Profile
New user
The netherlands
19 Posts

Profile of dherberg
I like to do some table magic in my own restaurant.
But my tables don't have linnen on them, they are just plain thick oak tabletops.

How do the next tricks work on this surface:
Three shell game (SoS street shells)
Chop cup (wooden version)
Cups and Balls (also wooden)
three card monte

Or do you recommend that I use a close up pad
(I hate to do that because it people might consider the pad as a gimmick since I have to put it on the table only for the tricks)

thanks

Coen
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
The main problem with doing the above itemes (Except for the chop cup maybe) You need more room then is sometimes available at a table. For the shell game the wood surface will be fine. unless the balls you are using are hard rubber there should not be too much problem either. If you find you do need a softer surface then your best option would be to get somesort of table cover for each table.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There are moves for all these tricks where the table type won't matter.

However, if you use linen napkins have one over your shoulder.
Or, keep the C&B's in a cloth bag that can be used as a pad.

If the concern is that the balls will roll, then monkey fists balls have been mentioned elsewhere as having less roll.

If it's 3 card Monte w/ regular cards just give the cards a good bend.
dherberg
View Profile
New user
The netherlands
19 Posts

Profile of dherberg
Thank you for the help.

These are all things I'm thinking off.

But do you all work on cloth, pads etc. or are there more people working 'plain'tables

Coen
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you are working tables in a restaurant, you need things you can do that require no laydown at all. Otherwise, you spend a lot of time rearranging the table to suit your show.

Better to carry a small table than to mess with people's food and drinks. Some people get put off when you start moving their things around.

Don't get married to your tricks. Pick your tricks to fit your venue, not the other way around.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
I have been using a close up pad for over 20 years in the restaurants and have never had a problem with making room for it. Granted it is the small table hopper size. I too work in one venue with hard wood tables. The pad defines my show and adds focus to the act, not to mention making the magic on the table top easier. I have had many people actually move things for me to make room for the pad. At the risk of converting this string into a pad vs. no pad, I for one always have used one succesfully. Very rarely does anyone consider it a gimmick. It is my working surface and that is how I introduce it. By the way, I always ask if I can place it on the table, and never once had anyone say no.

David
dherberg
View Profile
New user
The netherlands
19 Posts

Profile of dherberg
Thanks

It's my own restaurant, and the tables are pretty big (a lot of room on it)
I also will do card and coin tricks and so, but I'm curious if I'm making it myself more difficult by trying to perform on a table instead of a pad

Coen
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Since it's your place and there are big tables go with a pad.
The pad is your stage and the focal point of the entertainment.
If asked, just mention that the pad is your stage and also protects the cards, other props from getting soiled or wet.
As a joke you could say that it's a fire resistant blanket to protect the wood table from the blazing performance they're about to see.

Wow! As the owner you could preset some of those tables, utensils, etc, for miracles.

Best,
dherberg
View Profile
New user
The netherlands
19 Posts

Profile of dherberg
Quote:
Wow! As the owner you could preset some of those tables, utensils, etc, for miracles.

Best,

I did this before with some coin tricks.
They popped up at the other side of the table, under the candle or so......

that's fun

Coen
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
PAD... don't need a big one... do chop cup and the pad I use is about 5-inches in diameter. You can use a mouse pad.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If it's your restaurant, go for a pad. In fact, if it's not your restaurant, go for a pad.

If you are doing a chop cup, you definitely need one.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
A pad makes the props quieter. Nothing is so jarring a coin dropped on a table, other than a Lassen Product dropped on cement.

Kirk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Working on a wooden surface (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL