The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » PDF vs Book concerning EATCT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Ã…land, Finland
621 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
Is the language identical? I've understood that Erdnase is difficult to comprehend and as I'm thinking about purchasing it I wouldn't be that happy if I then suddenly realised that, oh, I have no idea what he's saying.. I like the PDF, so is the language identical and by the way, are there more than one version of it?

Perhaps I should add this because of my last question; I have seen one book when a guy is holding a card, another that looks like a bee deck (which I thought was the only one until 15 minutes ago) and then another one, on that one it said by Erdnase / Hoffman. Probably a stupid question but can't help that Smile
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
It's not a stupid question MagicKim, there are certainly a few versions out there but the text is mostly the same in each case. Differences are minimal at best.

The language in Erdnase is certainly different from the way most modern day English speaking writers write their stuff. It does require a bit more attention to detail than say reading a newspaper or a Stephen King book, but it is comprehendable. If English isn't your first language, some of the language may be tricky. I'd say buy it anyway, especially if it's not too expensive.
tjo'
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
To my knowledge there is only one Expert At The Card Table, though there are many different editions due to it's being in the public domain.

Anyone can reproduce the original text in any form they choose, which is why there are paperback edtions, PDF and HTML editions, and even facimile editions which look like the original 1092 hardbound version.

If someone tells you it is hard to read ask them for an example of something they found difficult to understand. It may be that the topic (such as stock shuffling) is COMPLEX and requires careful attention rather than that the text is difficult to understand due to the language. It is one of the best written books on card work you will ever read.
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Ã…land, Finland
621 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
It's very cheap so I'll definately buy it anyway =). I hope I'll find a good store with a low shipping fee as I live in Europe. Thank you.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Perhaps the Annotated Erdnase is the best idea.
I, for one, cannot get myself to get thru the book.
I drift off and start to become interested in other things.

But as I look up as I type and see Bill scolding me 2 posts up, I will take it to bed once again and give 'er a look-see.

Stock shuffling. I suppose I'll look for that.

Then again, it is 11:46PM. Perhaps that is part of the issue here.

I'll have a report in the morning.

p.s. And here I thought I was going to read about the eggbag.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
As Frank suggests, take a look at one of the annotated versions. Dai Vernon did one and, more recently, so did Darwin Ortiz -- neither of them slouches in the card department.
Adam Green
New York, NY
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2005-09-27 23:23, wsduncan wrote:

If someone tells you it is hard to read ask them for an example of something they found difficult to understand. It may be that the topic (such as stock shuffling) is COMPLEX and requires careful attention rather than that the text is difficult to understand due to the language. It is one of the best written books on card work you will ever read.

Oh, whoever wrote the book was a helluva writer, & had a way with words. Very erudite, witty, sophisticated - good stuff. Heck I'd have read a novel by this guy any day.
tjo'
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Ok, so I read a section on .. what was it... stock shuffling. whatever it was I admit that it was well written and gave me some great ideas for naturally and easily stacking the deck. much easier and more natural than any other way I've tried.

Thanks Bill!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » PDF vs Book concerning EATCT (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL