The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » History of Cannibal Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

marcjh
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
139 Posts

Profile of marcjh
I have been working on the Cannibal Cards for some time. Much to my good fortune, I recently picked up a copy of Kabala that had a section dedicated to this plot!!! In it, the editor mentioned that the original plot by Lin Searles was a marketed item. Was this a manuscript or something with gaffed cards? What was the difference between Searles’ original version and say the one that Michael Ammar shows on the ETMC card series?

P.S. Who edited Kabala? It says it was published by Louis Tannen. Was Tannen the editor?
Luther
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Luther
When Wesley James discovered the original Ascanio Spread from a magician in Spain, he put together the first Cannibal card routine using the Ascanio. It was based on the GAFFED Lin Searles effect. the "Ascanio Spread" used in later versions, and the move we have come to associate with the name "ascanio spread", was done with the cards held vertically and is technically Roger Smith's "KS Move". It uses the same mechanics however the cards are held in a vertical grip, in the original version James used the cards were held in a grip similar to a Hindu shuffle.

Kabala was edited by Jon Racherbaumer I believe.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Lin Searles released his "Cannibal Cards" in the early '60s. The effect was accomplished with the use of gaffed cards and a few cardmen began a search for methods that avoided gaffs. In the mid '50s Alex Elmsley had devised an effect called "Repulsive Aces" and Roy Walton recognized that this effect was ready-made
for the task...just substitute the aces for the "ravenous kings". Over the years Mr. Elmsley's solution has become the basis for many of the neo-modern methods to the "Cannibal Cards" plot. The original "Repulsive Aces" effect can be found in "The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley" Vol. I, (pp 229-233) by Stephen Minch. There is a version of "Cannibal Cards" in Giobbi's C.C. Vol. III if I'm not mistaken. Smile

<<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
van
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of van
There is a very funny routine in Steven Minch's "Creations of a Magical Madman"
It is a little complicated but great for a single performance.
Later Ya'll

Van
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
J.J. Sanvert in his DVD The Best of J.J. Sanvert also has a very great Cannibal Card Routine

and it ends with climax
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
marcjh
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
139 Posts

Profile of marcjh
I was looking through the Kabbala and I see that it was indeed edited by Jon Racherbaumer.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
FYI, don't forget the version Racherbaumer published by Matt Corin (with a bit of my thinking as well)... AND... I believe the original Lin Searles version is STILL available at http://www.owenmagic.com
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » History of Cannibal Cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL