The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Soda Pop Heaven! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Can do the effect even if it had water in the can and did not foam at all.

The foaming has NOTHING to do with the effect..
LDM
View Profile
Loyal user
Upstate New York
278 Posts

Profile of LDM
Yeah, the foaming is just because he shook it up to hear the coin inside.
djc89
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of djc89
Yes, you can perform w/o foam, but it helps, no? ;D
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Okay- a great effect, but once again, it is caught in the Too Perfect Theory. At least in my opinion.
Anyone else think so?
NYillusionist
View Profile
New user
New York
24 Posts

Profile of NYillusionist
When you say "Too perfect theory," are you talking trick photography? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just a newbie on the board and haven't heard all of the lingo yet. Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Whew! If you use the search function, you will find TONS of threads on the "Too perfect theory" The opinions are divided on it..some swear by it, others think it is a bunch of hogwash. You will have to make up your own opinion.

Ammar has some thoughts on this on his easy to master money magic vids...his discussion is, I believe, in the section covering the bill in peanut effect.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I don't see how froth helps, imo. Its best when it doesn't fizz too much, which is good as coke cans don't, and if you practice it enough, you will find the perfect amount of weight and pressure you put on shaking the can to let them hear its inside etc
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2005-12-05 14:10, NYillusionist wrote:
When you say "Too perfect theory," are you talking trick photography? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just a newbie on the board and haven't heard all of the lingo yet. Smile

Simply put, the "too perfect" theory has to do with any trick which has a method that can be explained by "how else?". In other words, if the only solution a layman can come up with IS the correct method, no matter how clever or far fetched, then the method is "too perfect".

Methods which actually ARE too perfect often can be mitigated by presentations which subtley imply that the "obvious" method isn't the answer.

For example, you could easily put a coin into a bottle if you used a Snapple bottle, since the opening is so large. But if you used a method that made it appear that the coin was passing through the side of the bottle that would help prevent people from thinking of how it actually got in there because they "saw" it go through the side.

Kinda like slapping the coin on the bottom of the can...

Another aspect of Too Perfect Theory states that if the solution to a mystery is obvious, even if it's wrong, that you must do something address THAT in your presentation or the magic will be lost. For example, if you were using a thread to make something float and than something was metal, you had better make sure they konw the metal isn't magnetic or they will assume you used a magnet and dismiss the illusion.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Best example of too perfect theory- "cigarette through quarter."

If you cleanly show the cigarette going through a borrowed quarter on both sides, there's only one thing that could be happening. Cigarettes don't through borrowed quarters. Their assumption of how the trick is done is going to be the right assumption. So what do you do? Make the effect less perfect. Don't show the cigarette going through the other side. Just show it head on. They'll assume some sleight of hand, somehow, impossibly, created the illusion that cigarette was going through the coin. No, it's not perfect. But, in this case, better than too perfect.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of jezza
Quote:
On 2005-12-13 00:04, Platt wrote:
Best example of too perfect theory- "cigarette through quarter."

If you cleanly show the cigarette going through a borrowed quarter on both sides, there's only one thing that could be happening. Cigarettes don't through borrowed quarters. Their assumption of how the trick is done is going to be the right assumption. So what do you do? Make the effect less perfect. Don't show the cigarette going through the other side. Just show it head on. They'll assume some sleight of hand, somehow, impossibly, created the illusion that cigarette was going through the coin. No, it's not perfect. But, in this case, better than too perfect.

the best way to present this one is when you are doing it tell them you are creating the illusion that the cig goes thru card (ive done this and afterwards they are scratching their heads freaking out )
I don't present this as a magic trick as such but actually say its an illusion
trust me ive had people after ive done effect holding cig against coin at different angles trying to achieve it.
And they just cannot fathom what they thought they saw if you know what I mean

that's my way anyway
regards
Jeremy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Soda Pop Heaven! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL