The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » How do you keep the secrets of magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Daniel Nicholls
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Nicholls
Send them to a dealer.
Close your eyes. Open your senses.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I must say for myself personally swearing an oath to myself is rather corny. Magic secrets (are sadly) easily available to almost any one with a computer. I would show spmthing very basic, asentioned 21 card trick. If this person showed a geniune interest. I have been teaching for years. I would offer the lessons. As some one else stated, when $$$ is involved I think true intentions would come out. Secret seeker? Or geniune I terest
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
Haha I used the fries line on a waitress who actually made fries. She insisted on me doing FRAUD again and I said Im the magician you are a waitress and a cook, I don't tell you how to make fries! And she laughed and so did her co-workers, they loved it.
Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
I remember one time, when I was yonger (about 16 or so) and VERY shy, this form of questionning always used to kill me, but I remember once I did the balducci levitation for a small group of my little cousins friends when it was all the rage(all of whom were about 8) and of course they thought it was "WICKED" but I was faced with the same question, once, twice, three times...on and on they went.

Fortunately, and as only a group of 8 year olds could do, I had a deck of cards poking out of my pocket, and they were convinced this was the "gimmick"(?!?)

After a brief sigh of relief I let them believe what they wanted to believe, and they still went away smiling, but the thing that got me was their own interpretation of the secret: a group of 8 year olds running down the high street flapping a playing card in each hand trying to jump as high as they can, with a confused look on their face as they failed to "float"...

It probably sounds a bit mean on reflection, but you had to be there!

But that got me to the same conclusion as cheesewrestler, a great way "out" of these situations is to get zenons book "101 ways to win a tenner" or something similar and try a few bar bets (with or without £ - your call) and betchas, I find that worst case is they forget they asked how you did the trick (not the trick itself ;-) ) and just have fun with the betchas.
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
When Larry Jennings started out he saw 'Out of This World' and was told if he could figure out the method then he would be mentored... Can't recall the Magicians name at the mo..?

After about a month he eventually figured it out! This must have shown some determination and genuine interest on his part

Ta,

John
Sock Puppet Monkey
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Sock Puppet Monkey
Put it in print.
Tony45
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Tony45
The person asking the question and how its asked should dictate the response, if someone is nice about it and genuinely interested I used to show them the 21 card trick, which in all honesty I have forgotten myself, lol. Its no big deal and I have seen more than a few people doing it in bars and showing it to me ! After that if they ask for more I used to tell them to go get a book and learn some card moves and if theyre serious I will work with them. If someones being rude or a pest about it, I just used to look at them and say : You got $200 on you ? I have yet to see someone go digging for the cash. Im not giving up something that has taken me hours,days and years to learn to satisfy someones curiosity.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
DON'T ASK DON'T TELL IS LAW!

Actually, I say, "I wish I knew. I have no idea how this works, it just happens."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2007-09-29 20:51, Bill Palmer wrote:
My father was an amateur magician. He was really parsimonious with the secrets. He never told, at least not until I belonged to the IBM.

Even after his membership in the local club had lapsed, he felt very adamant about not revealing secrets.

One afternoon, he and my mother were at the Texas Renaissance Festival watching my show. I was doing the Linking Rings, and he heard the fellow behind him explaining how they worked to the lady he was with. So, Dad turned to the fellow and said, "You seem to know a lot about magic. Are you a magician?"

"Why, yes, I'm a magician. I belong to the IBM."

"Really! They must have changed a lot since I was a member. Back then, we weren't allowed to reveal secrets." The fellow shut his mouth.

That incident isn't rare at all. I keep hearing from audience members who were told how tricks worked by amateurs. The trouble is that the magic organizations are now full of duffers who just occupy seats and buy props. It's no wonder that the local meetings bore me out of my skull! I only hang out with those magicians who put a great deal of thought into their work, because it's mentally stimulating. I think magic so much better when it was more of an elite art.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Rehearse.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Morris
View Profile
New user
Anderson Indiana
7 Posts

Profile of Morris
I try not to give away anything, it has been my experience that even if you do teach someone an effect, they will forget it in a matter of days. but I do like what one fellow on this forum. quote them a price on a 30 min lesson (I would suggest no less than 25 dollars) to see if there is a genuine interest.
or just go old school on them and tell them to go to the library and check out a few books on magic if they are really interested in learning the art.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
I used to show people how tricks were done - it cheated them because they lost the wonder and the magic. I don't do it anymore though I will discuss things with other people with a genuine interest in magic (other hobbyists, pros at the magic society etc).

you might suggest they look at the free tricks on Jay Sankeys website - and say that if they like when they perform it for you you can help them polish it if necessary.
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of mindguru
Just keep them to yourself.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » How do you keep the secrets of magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL