The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Card DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic123454321
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magic123454321
I am thinking of buying a card dvd I think the ed marlo legend and cardician one is the best. What would you recommend?
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Get a look at the DVD section, lot of posts regardings "favourites"

:bikes: Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Definitely go with Ed Marlo. The Legendary Cardician DVD set is my all time favourite, and they will be yours too. Trust me, there's nothing better to learn from the best. Highly Recommended!

Michael
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
Wooooaahhh!!! maybe you shouldnt buy the marlo set. How much about card magic do you know? this might do nothing more than make you feel discouraged. Take it from someone who knows. I bought Ed Marlo's Revolutionary Card Technique way too early, about 6 months after I started as a matter of a fact. What a mistake!!! Its just too much for a beginner. If you have some experience that is a different story, but I see 9 posts, so how about a little background so we can really help you out. I'll be the first in line Smile

peace,
the demon
Tim Sutton
View Profile
Elite user
Tim Sutton AIMC, London UK
461 Posts

Profile of Tim Sutton
There are many posts on the site giving advice to magicians who are just starting out. it's a good idea to start out buying some books before you go on to dvds - and you may not be ready for marlo for, what, five years? pick up volume one of card college, or the royal road to card magic, to give yourself a firm grounding.
theEpiphany
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of theEpiphany
I wouldnt recommend a Marlo set for starting out. Personally I'd recommend Books above DVDs but that's another argument all together. If you're just starting out in cards I'd recommend Royal Road to Card Magic Followed by Expert Card Technique AND/OR Card College. Card College is probably the best as it teaches the explanations and key points to remember while step by step taking you through each lesson.

Regards,

-D
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
If you want something from Penguin and you are a beginner, I would recomment starting with "Born to perform" by Oz Pearlman.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
magic123454321
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

I am an Intermidate. The reason I don't have lots of posts is because I just found this site and Ive been really busy. I already got Born to Perform and I got everything in it down except for the hot shot cut. Thanks for all your suggestions guys but Im still undecided. The marlo set is 60 dollars. It looks really good though. It said it will show me how to deal from the middle and second deal and things. I don't know how to. Is this for people who know how to second deal and deal from the middle or is it teaching them to?
acehigher
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of acehigher
He shows middle and centre dealing. You won't be able to do it by just watching the video. If you want to learn these things you have to sit infront of a mirror and experient, seeing someone else do it will guide and inspire you, but everyone deals and false deals differently. I recomend trying to teach yourself then seeing how other people do it.

I've seen the DVD a few times I think its great, I think its more of a card geek video (i am a geek). You get to see someone doing 7 purfect table faros, greek dealing, peg dealing if your into gambling and tricks at a table then you'll like it. If you wanna learn some more useful sleights so you can show your friends some tricks then get somin else and buy this another time.

I think I'd buy Bill Malones series, Micheal Ammar ETMCM, Daryls Encyclopedia first.

People say you should learn from books at first but I disagree. I found that the books were hard to read and hard to imagine and it was easier to learn slieghts by watching people doing them. Once you've got some sleights down you realise that videos aren't as good value as books and then you it is better to learn tricks from books.
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
The Marlo set you talk about is nice to have because it is footage of Ed. I do not consider these teaching tapes. If you want the false deals, get Allan Ackerman's Advanced Card Series. These is one tape/DVD on false deals. these is also another tape/dvd out there on Marlo called Seconds, Center, Bottoms just like the book. It was put out by Randy Wakeman. It does in fact describe some deals but again not a real teaching tape like some of the others out there.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
I'd recommend going through Card College before you take on Marlo. You need a solid foundation of technique, and Card College will give it to you better than any video series that is ever been published. Plus, it will fix a lot of mistakes that you picked up from Born to Perform, and perhaps other sources.
magic123454321
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Thanks for your help everyone. I tried second dealing once and all I did was just glide the top card back and then just took the second one from the top but when I did it for people(just for practice/friends and family) I didn't actually let them see the deck. I held it up. What they could see I was dealing normally but if they saw the deck from my angle then they would of saw it. A lot of people are talking about the Daryl dvds and card college books. I was thinking of getting million dollar card magic also. It's from Simon Lovell Im still not sure though. And the tricks on the marlo dvd-are they good tricks and tricks that intermidiates could do or are they professional tricks? What would be the best dvd or book of the ones I've mentioned?
Thanks
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
What would be the best dvd or book of the ones I've mentioned?

They're all excelent sources in their own way. But again, if you haven't gone through the Card College volumes, by all means do that first. There is plenty of great information about false deals and stacking in CC, and everything else will give you a solid foundation of technique to continue on with the other sources. The effects in Card College are virtually all strong, professional strength effects.
magic123454321
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'm going to go with card college books. Then after that simon lovell's million dollar card magic and then when Im more advanced I'll try cardician and the daryl dvds. I don't think I'll get those dvds by Allan Ackerman and Randy Wakeman about false deals and stuff. They look to advanced. Thanks for your help and replies everyone.
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
You won't regret it. Penguin has a great price on the Card College books. It's something like twenty six bucks each, with shipping included. Also, Café member Jeff Marsh's online business will beat or match the Penguin price: http://www.mjmmagic.com/
Sleightly_Done
View Profile
New user
Danville, KY
77 Posts

Profile of Sleightly_Done
Quote:
On 2005-10-12 20:04, magic123454321 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'm going to go with card college books. Then after that simon lovell's million dollar card magic and then when Im more advanced I'll try cardician and the daryl dvds. I don't think I'll get those dvds by Allan Ackerman and Randy Wakeman about false deals and stuff. They look to advanced. Thanks for your help and replies everyone.

I would suggest the Daryl DVDs immediately after Card College. Card College and the Daryl Encyclopedia of Card Sleights are absolutely perfect companions, and provide an excellent foundation for a card worker.
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
You should listen to jcards01 since he knew marlo. I have the legend and the cardician dvd's cuz I gotta great deal on them...i also have the tears book and card finesse 1 book which have some of the moves from the dvd's in them. I hope to get more marlo material. the ackerman dvds really are quite good.

dug
Deckless Wonder
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
You should listen to jcards01 since he knew marlo. I have the legend and the cardician dvd's cuz I gotta great deal on them...i also have the tears book and card finesse 1 book which have some of the moves from the dvd's in them. I hope to get more marlo material. the ackerman dvds really are quite good.

dug
Deckless Wonder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Card DVDs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL