The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Basic card routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
How do I build a basic card routine For parties.I have many ideas.How many card tricks per table and can a person do only card trick?What do you think about packet trick?I want a card routine to get my feet wet to see if I want to make a living at it.I know the routine will as I learn.I have a lot of videos and dvd.Thank you for any help.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
On 2005-10-11 23:45, bluemagic wrote:
How do I build a basic card routine What do you think about packet trick?I want a card routine to get my feet wet to see if I want to make a living at it.

Your kidding, right?
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Ohhhhhh no,here comes the rain ...
My friend ,at first glance its seems you are trying to run before you can walk ..

Daryl's statement is trying to impart some wisdom upon you .

Run , don't walk and buy Jim Pace's or Kirk Charles' book on restaurant magic.

Don't even think about trying to make money at this until you have read one of those book in detail.

You will come to understand that restaurant magic is more about keeping the customer happy than amazed.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
Thank for idea of buying the book on restaurant work and as for mr daryl no I'm not kidding.If it's not me someone else well ask the question because there is no one to ask.Where I live there no magic shop near by and no magician to ask or help.
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
Mr daryl should be more understanding of other, not a close mind and open mouth.I thought this was a place to ask question and looking for help.
cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of cosermann
Bluemagic,

You say you have a lot of videos and DVD's. What about books? There is a LOT of magic theory to learn from books; much of which isn't on any DVD or video. The video media are a good supplement, in my opinion, for visual learners, to demonstrate timing, etc., but please don't ignore good books. There are MANY good book recommendations to be found here at the Café. I'd suggest acquiring a few well chosen ones (based on recommendations on this forum) for study and give your magic some time to grow.

It also looks like you've only recently joined the Café. Look around. Use the search engine before asking questions. You'll often find your questions have been asked before and answered in depth. For someone in your position with no magic shop or mentor nearby, this forum will be priceless.

Here are a few threads to start with:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&125
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&53
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41

That should give you enough to digest for a while. Take care.
Regards,
Eric
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Bluemagic,

I'm sorry if my comment offended you, that was not my intention. If you browse through the various posts here at the Café you will see this question has been asked in one form or another many times and the answers are always the same.

There is a long long road between learning basic card routines and entertaining for a living. It's your personality that will be marketable, not the tricks you do, and personality (presentation) is something that will develop with experience. The best advice I could give you (for what it's worth) is to read the books, develop routines your happy and comfortable with, show them to family and friends to see if their enjoyable and then see if you can find work in a local restaurant. Once you have gained this type of experience then you can start to decide if you want to continue on a more permanent level. Good luck to you.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-10-12 12:33, bluemagic wrote:
Mr daryl should be more understanding of other, not a close mind and open mouth.

Now lets not get nasty!
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
Well if your table hopping I go by the rule that you should only do one pick a card trick and if you MUST do more use the same card because spectators often mix old cards with the one they just picked, second, you must try to have a flow; for example if you do an ace location follow it with an ace trick, you have the aces there already and you don't have to look through and find them. Flow is very important in my routines because I don't want to lose their focus with dead time between tricks, another bit of advice, I know we aren't supposed to confuse but make the routines short and fast paced leaving them wanting more and no way to work backwards, it works for me.
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
Daryl and other my goal is have a basic routine that I can work on.Show to friends and familys.When ask to do a party I have something to show.The magic shop thatI did go to, Gregory Wilson Would show up and would show what he's working on plus other top card man would show up also.When I was at the shop I would do card trick for people looking at magic trick,I found out that I enjoy performing.This webb site is so big a person don't know where to start.Maybe I didn't ask the question but I need to start some where.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How about instead of making mean comments to Daryl you learn to use the search function here at the Café. Then you can see that this advice has been given here ad nausium.

Oh and you probably won't like it when you read it either, but at least you won't have to lash out at other members.

Good Luck
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of glatner
I've been doing magic for five years, (1/3 of my life)and for 3 years very seriously (as in reading my tarbel's every single day). Only last month did I ever do my first show. as for resteraunts, (i.e. a weekly or monthly gig) I've never even considered asking. If I don't have a routine that I already know down pat, I wouldn't even consider trying make a livivng out of it.

Regards,

Gabe
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
It was just a question and I don't what to make a living at it.I was talking about a card routine that I can show family and friends plus make a little money.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-10-11 23:45, bluemagic wrote:
I want a card routine to get my feet wet to see if I want to make a living at it.

Nuff said
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
Yes I agree. the end.please don't post any more.
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
Just beating a dead horse.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Basic card routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL