The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Contracts...workorders...invoices..which do you use? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic_streak
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
196 Posts

Profile of Magic_streak
Hello everyone!

I didn't know where to put this but decided to put it here as probably various kinds of magicians visit this section of the forum.

So, what is your "standard procedure" when you get a cold call from a new client for your show? What do you do after sending them your profile and gotten verbal confirmation to the show? There are several ways I have thought of but have yet to decide which is more suitable for different situations.

1) Send a contract which has to be signed and written. The contract states every detail of the show including what will be performed and how long will it take. It includes technical requirements and fees and mode of payment and time. This can be called as a workorder as well.

However, for small private parties and birthdays, some parents may not want to go through this hassle just to book a magic show. What do you guys do then?

2) Give a verbal agreement and perform your show without elaborating much about what you want to show beforehand. Just say your show is suitable for a family crowd or a corporate crowd if it is a corporate show and perform the stuff accordingly. I am assuming the crowd likes the show and the show is well prepared and suited to the audience. You then go back home and mail/fax/email them the invoice and advice them on the mode of payment.

The problem with this is sometimes people may tend to forget to pay you/delay payment/payment got lost in the mail. How do you counter this then? Or do you avoid it completely.

Do share how you go about doing the business of magic~! Thank you so much.
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
582 Posts

Profile of Tony S
To avoid problems, always use a contract or performance agreement. For smaller shows it doesn't have to be too detailed, but should definitely contain all information about the time and place of the show, the type of show you will perform, and payment details.

Tony
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Bravo tony
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
I agree. I call it a Confirmation Letter. Some people get scared by the word "contract."

I mail them two copies. One for them to keep and one to sign and send back to me. I also enclose a stamped envelope for their convenience.

Your customers will appreciate the letter. It reassures them that you are professional and that you are actually going to turn up! It also eliminates any possible confusion over the time or fee.

If it is a last minute booking, I email or fax it, but I still require them to send me a signed copy back.

Best,
James
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
I always fill in the blanks on my contract template and convert it to a PDF file. I then email to them with the instructions to print 2 copies and sign both. Return both copies with the Deposit specified in the contract. The show is not booked until I receive the Deposit. I even send the contract when they are still thinking as once they decide to book they simply return the contract and deposit. I will usually tell them I have penciled it in for them for 7 days so they can make a decision. If someone else comes along wanting the same date, I notify them and give them 48 hours to perform or I release the date. It works form. Cash Flow now and Cash Flow later. Levels out the ups and downs.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
I called it a reservation agreement. Same as James, I sent a self addressed stamed envelope. All they do is sign it and send it back. All it does is keeps them from cancelling with out paying.

I told them "I will send you a reservation agreement. When you receive it just sign it and send it back. Once I receive it I will lock that day in for you."

This inspires them to do it. They also had to send me %50 with the agreement. That is what really kept them from cancelling.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Magic_streak
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
196 Posts

Profile of Magic_streak
Do you guys do this even in small private parties where parents may find this a hassle and would rather pay you full in cash on the spot?

And for bigger companies, what do you do after the show and they require an invoice to process so they can send you the cheque in two weeks time? How do you ask them for payment?
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
When I send them the contract it is already covered. 50% with contract and balance due after the show. Never have a problem with the check making its appearance. Corporate takes care of that in house if you simply layout the ground rules for them.

I don't do Birthday Parties so I can't say as to how to handle that. You could just offer them the opportunity to pay up front as that gives them one less thing to think about on the day of the party. If you register for Paypal they can even use their credit card or debit card to pay your fee. Simply send them an invoice for the amount of the show and your done. They don't even have to have a Paypal account to pay you with a credit card.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Contracts...workorders...invoices..which do you use? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL