The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Money$$$ (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Giuseppe
View Profile
New user
Atlanta
70 Posts

Profile of Giuseppe
Does performing for little kids pay well? I have been thinking about starting to do shows for kids but I don't know how much to charge. I am turning 16 in a year and I am saving for a car --would doing shows help?

Thanks.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Firstly make sure you are doing it for the right reason. You can't be successful doing this if you don't enjoy it and love kids. If you are only doing it for the money you will find it very difficult. Like anything if you love it and perform with a passion there is good money to be made.

Just one party each weekend can cover your costs. Even if it does not provide you enough to buy a car right away you have to start somewhere. If you can perform a good show and have the marketing skills to sell it there is no reason why you can not earn just as much in 1 weekend doing kids shows as a regular job pays all week, or more.

As far as what to charge goes I can not answer that, it depends on your area. Basicially you want charge as much as you can while still offering good value for money. If you are new to any market it is always good to charge a lower price to start with. Once you start having to turn people away because you are fully booked you can increase your fee.
Smile
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Giuseppe,
Yes, it can pay well -- but I don't recommend it for you or anyone else who thinks it would help bring in a few extra bucks!
A lot of people think that doing kids' shows is an easy way to pick up some spare cash.
In fact, doing kids' shows WELL is about the hardest thing you will ever do in magic.
And, if you aren't doing it well, why are you doing it at all?
Smile
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I think Andrew's reply about sums it up to perfection. Peter's reply gives you the stark truth as it REALLY IS! I have to admit I came into it as I was fed up with music and the poor pay and other people's smoke endured 4 hours every night. It took off beyond our wildest dreams - and next year, well 25 years! There are however (and this is a contentious issue but there again I'm a contentious person) people everywhere who meddle and dabble in kid's entertainment. Many do not pay tax, just advertise in papers on mobile numbers etc. and will let down a customer at the drop of a hat or if they do turn up then do something horrific (how about the guy near us who pulled a string of razor blades out of his mouth at a Playgroup Christmas Party!) Typical other businesses they try are double glazing, wedding videos, buying and selling cars from home - you know the sort! Some also declare themselves 'Agents' (God help us). We have brought up a family and bought houses on kid's entertainment - and pay a hefty tax bill every January, and well, have to admits guys, have 'corrected' one or two of these types over the years. I even think PB would agree with the advice given here!! (?) Smile
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I have to agree with Ace Parties here. you do find a lot of people go into magic simply because they think it's an easy buck and then are unreliable and drop out. You can also find that there are those in magic for quite a while doing shows that are unrelaible.
I have one such person near me. last year to my knowledge he let 5 birthday parties down on the day (they rang me in a panic)Also I had a call from a corporate client who said this person had let them down 3 times (I would not have give them 3 chances) I can Honestly say that in the 22 years that I have performed for Money (12 full time 10 partime) I have never Missed a show or Started my performance late!
(apart from when the booker requests)
Phillip Smile
ruiefe
View Profile
Regular user
Lisbon
131 Posts

Profile of ruiefe
Altough you have been given really good advice here I would add something:
Kids can be very bad to performers whose toughts when performing go to the model of the car to buy instead of the show itself...
Smile
They have a terrific skill - they feel when you are not there for them
Rui Fernandes
Rui Fernandes
"Carpe diem" - Horatius
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Not quite clear here Ruiefe. Are you wanting a car to do children's parties or wanting parties to just buy a car? Or wanting parties to buy a car to do more parties?? Smile
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
yeah I made the assumption that you alreday have a way to get around to your parties. Silly Billy in who performs in Manhattan for his kids show can walk or take the subway.
For most of us your can't go far without a car.
Smile
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
ruiefe
View Profile
Regular user
Lisbon
131 Posts

Profile of ruiefe
Oops!
I think I hit the language barrier! It hurts! Smile
What I wanted to say: if you do a show thinking about what to do with the money and not thinking about what you are doing, kids can sense (?) this. If you do it only for the money, kids will know.
That what I wanted to say (in a playful manner, I thought) Smile
Rui Fernandes
Rui Fernandes
"Carpe diem" - Horatius
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I have to agree with Peter and the rest of the post. Birthday performers can make alot of money. But you should be a GREAT perfomer. Doing 5 shows on a saturday for kids can kill you. But if you have a great show and enjoy kids it is the best. You can make over $100,000.00. I do alot of up sells such as pinatas and party favor bags etc. Which by selling the extra things to the parent; you look professional and you are making it "HASSELL FREE FOR THE PARENT". Smile
Giuseppe
View Profile
New user
Atlanta
70 Posts

Profile of Giuseppe
Thanx you guys Don't get me wrong first i started magic when i was young because it was fun and i loved the reactions it is still the same for me now
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
one birthday party show 10 years ago turned into an average of 10 shows a week in the hotel industry for me not to mention - more b.day shows. Price wise i say make a fixed price of say $100 dollars and stick to it. NEVER go down. Offer charity shows at half price or even for free if it is a non profit company or a party for the disabled. There is so much potential in kids parties and you can always offer more or less. Lately I have been going to birthday parties with as little as a close up bag full of small items (good for you if you don't have that car yet) but I don't mind offering everything from cake to gifts if I feel it nescessary and charge extra of course.
good luck
windrunner
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of windrunner
You may be young but that doesn't me that you can't get a good price for a birthday party. You sell your ability not your age. If your show is good and you handle yourself professional, ask for a professional price. If you want to make real money with birthday parties get Ken Scott's package, but plan on working. Most people fail because the they don't do the work to get the shows. Ken's stuff shows you how to get the shows. My show starts at $250 and goes up with extras and milage. Most of the time a get $300 to $350 for the package. I have got as high as $600, but I was there for over two hours. I guess the point is, that you can make around a $1000 on a good weekend if you do the work through week to make the shows happen.
Bryan Blankenship
"the alter ego of"
VanDoren the Magician
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
You're doing it for the wrong reasons. So don't.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Windrunner, he was young when he posted this IN 2002 !!!

He is now 24 years old! LOL!
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Windrunner, he was young when he posted this IN 2002 !!!

He is now 24 years old! LOL!

And alas - no longer part of TMC it seems. I wonder if he ever got that car.
Nick Astle
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Nick Astle
Quote:
On 2011-09-05 23:39, charliecheckers wrote:
And alas - no longer part of TMC it seems. I wonder if he ever got that car.

Now that's a good question. I couldn't stop laughing when I read that.
windrunner
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of windrunner
That' funny!!! I didn't read the date. If that is the biggest mistake that I made that day, I had a good day. LOL Thanks for making me aware that some of these post are old. I haven't been reading the date. Maybe I should start.
Bryan Blankenship
"the alter ego of"
VanDoren the Magician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Money$$$ (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL