The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Handcuffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
MY absolute finest moment on stage was when a REAL FBI agent came up as the volunteer for the Thumb Cuffs...he bet me the cuffs that I couldn't get out of HIS that he carried as backup. hahaha. I stoped using my ungimmicked regulation pair for HIS from then on. The best moments came when he didn't 'get it' that I was out and pointing to the clock for him to count the 'minutes'...audience loved it...sadly over the years I lost those TCs durnit.

As to Steve's orig Q...doesn't matter a lick to the average audience as far as I'm concerned...thery never heard of gimmicked cuffs anyway for the most part....unless you do challenges...what's diff is right.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Xmosis,

Great thumb cuff story,I know because it's the same
one I told on the Allen Thick television show in
1980,when I performed my thumb cuff routine on it!!
I've told that story ,a true story of how I won the
thumb cuffs I still have and use hundreds of times,
from 1971 to the present! They have a registered
serial number.

Steve Baker,MR. ESCAPE
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
My story is TRUE as well MR ESCAPE. It was 1967. It happened because I used to ask, every show, if there were any FBI agents in the aud and this one surprised me by actually being there! Smile It hapened one other time as well in Alaska, early 70's but that guy wasn't obtuse and got the gag right away, he may have been ATF, don't remember. It was fun for me because I don't and didn't do a Challenge type act.
I would imagine there are plenty of actys with similar stories...fun stuff.
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
I've heard Steve Baker's Thumb Cuff story in the past. I know Steve gathered quite a collection of handcuffs and other restraints over the years through his challenge routine. He's got quite a collection of fascinating stories from his performing days. The cool thing about Steve, he was always doing TV so he has footage of tons of his stories.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Hey Dean, I've heard lots of Steve's stories as well as we speak on the phone several times a week. Steve told me the FBI thumbcuff story over six months ago. That's not to say that I doubt that a similar incident happened to Doug. More importantly, rumor has it that Steve has finally gotten started on his biography, so that the entire escape community can enjoy, and benefit from his years of experience. I for one can't wait until it's done so I can get my copy.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Well a lot of us have similar stories to tell, that's for sure. I started doing thumbs around 1964 or 65 and was told the 'FBI' routine in Tannen's and then from Mario around the same time give or take a year when he taught me the jacket while he was with Ringling. I asked for an FBI agent in every show from then on and was VERY surprised and a little intimidated when one actually appeared. The old adage 'ask and you shall recieve' came about.
There's no reason to doub't the story Tony any more than I would doubt Mr. Baker...after all he has been through in challenges, I'd be surprised if 'everything' hasn't happened to him at one time or another. Me, I just had a dumb little magic act...so the incident really stood out in my memory and remains a highlight. Believe It Or Not. Smile Smile
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello All

Houdini was not the first to escape police cuffs nor will he be the last, so the question here is to attempt to be as unique a performer as you can be and hopefully in the long run to entertain your audience in a way that they will remember not just what you did but ......You !

MICHAEL LEE
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I've really said all I can about an ancient memory that has nothing to do with my life today or anybody elses for that matter....not being a great and famous performer, but making my name in other arenas, it is merely a fond momment of a time that really didn't have too many. That's about as much of me I'll leave hanging out.

Thanks
Doug
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Each of us who have been in escapes any considerable time at all (for me, 34 years), have been challenged by police officers, security guards, etc., and have met the challenges, whether it was handcuffs, thumbcuffs or related shackles.

I'm sure that if a survey were taken, you would find that many performers have accepted a handcuff or thumbcuff challenge under circumstances that could be viewed as virtually identical. I am also sure that many of these incidents took place without the presence of newspaper reporters, photographers or videocams.

We are supposed to be here under the banner of helpfulness, trust and fellowship, not bitter competition and one-upmanship.

Can't we just get along and leave the tired "escape artist rivalry" at the door?

I really don't care who was the "first to do what, when" or who is claiming to be the "ultimo, world's champion, stronger-than-dirt, Escape King of the Universe" this week.

I just want to chill out and talk escapes in a friendly environment; there's no relaxation or fun in a battlefield.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Well said Steve, Thank you!
Best regards Tony Parisi
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Thanks from me too.
Back in 1972 I escaped from a set of TC's the property of an FBI officer. This took place in a crowded bar in Hereford UK (These FBI guys are everywhere!). My rewards were:

- A great response
- A pint of beer
- A great evening.
- A gift of a nice set of TC's in a leather case, complete with spare key pocket etc (Yes, I still have them).

Sorry, but it wasn't documentated. It was long before video cameras, of course, and it was in the days when we were less interested in who invented the wheel Smile

Riley

Who did invent the wheel, anyhow???
pollark
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of pollark
To heck with the wheel, who invented the axle???
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Ok Who Invented Inventing Things ? Don,
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Prof. Pat Pending

Steve
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Then who is Pat. Appld For
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

His silent partner.

Steve
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
They must be a big corporation by now. especially since they have a patent office.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Mistatement above...I had mentioned I didn't think I ever owned a pair of handcuffs...should have said never 'used' a pair as in thinking about those days I did have a board of antique iron used for display...only used that board for a couple of shows though and got tired of hauling it around and gave 'em away or traded 'em or some such. Wish I still had some of those old pieces. Would make nice Christmas gifts! Of course If I'm wishing, I wish I had my old Comics!!! Smile
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I wish I had my old comics to even had a Batman #17. I also wished I would of picked up the cuffs etc years ago now its buyer beware as a lot of re pops are around.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Old comics...now there's a good thread for "Not Very Magical, Still."

I think I'll continue that notion there...

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Handcuffs (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL