The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » End of an era?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
800 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Just heard on the news here in Canada that Australia is banning ALL import of birds from around the world because of the Bird Flu! This will mean that magicians wanting to bring in their birds will not be able to.
I hate to think what will happen to magicians who use 'birds' in their act if this horrible epidemic hits North America!! Last night on the news they reported a new show in New York based around 'ducks' and they wonder how long the show will last if it hits North America. They just reported a dead bird in Britian!!
Something to think about!
Paul
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://www.paulromhanymagic.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Paul,

This goes under the title "Possible but not Probable", I believe. We have been here before. The only thing that changes is the communication among people. Unfortunately, people love drama. (Oops! Let me rephrase that: Fortunately people love drama. It gives magicians work!)

We will have more barriers to civilization but people who can't build bridges usually build walls.

I hate the fad panics too. I've lived through it over and over with birds, cattle, horses, seafood, cats and dogs. Most of us are still going to die in bed!

My wife is a doctor. She is allowed to keep her scalpels and medical instruments with her on a plane. They take away her fingernail clippers and bottle opener. Who are we fooling? This is form over substance.

Bird diseases are quick fixes. Unfortunately we will live with slow news people and even slower legislation. If this were about substance, the most dangerous critter to human health is a child! Nothing spreads more disease. Think they'll really ban them? Please say "No".

Majoring in the minors is the role of government! But that explains why the minor in the majors too!

It will be another source of irritation. But we are problem solvers.

As a birdman, I hate it too. Lucy and I just got back last month from New York and Canada. No birds!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- My daughter is a horse trainer. She is getting ready to go to New Zealand. I would enjoy an email from you about what to expect. She's leaving her magician Pappa behind. I think I should get to go too!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I know I spoke with Sue Anne Webster last year and she said Australia has always been tough on the import of any feather item. Even my stuff. I guess it comes from being so close to the orient where there is less control over these items.

I went through this before with the last bird flu scare. My feathers will be hard to get and probably raise in price. I just love how the panic immediately makes everyone ready to die by looking at bird.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Goofy rules will come and go.....just make adjustments.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
The reason Australia has always been strict about these things is because it has an ecosystem that evolved separated from the rest of the world. (and why they have strange species like the kangaroo and platypus). As a result, introducing new species that don't have natural predetors can be dangerous. Also, the introduction of new diseases can be devestating because native plants and animals don't have immunity to them. This is a problem between the Americas and the other continents as well, but Australia is particularly vulnerable because it has been isolated for so long. Look at a globe... Australia has been separated from the other continents for quite some time, while the other continents have had some type of inter-species contact for quite some time.

I think there was a Simpson's episode with this theme. Bart too his pet frog with him on a trip to Australia. They wouldn't let him take it into the country and he secretly released it. The country ended up infested with frogs!

In any case, I'm not sure that Australia's action will mean that other countries will follow.

Cris
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2005-10-22 09:33, Bob Sanders wrote:
My wife is a doctor. She is allowed to keep her scalpels and medical instruments with her on a plane. They take away her fingernail clippers and bottle opener. Who are we fooling? This is form over substance.

Historically, "form over substance" put into place immediately has always played much better than well-considered solutions worked out over time.

We can't stop the terrorists, but let's make everyone take off their shoes!

We can't help the stranded in New Orleans, but let's issue another memo (and have another news conference and get the President to fly over again in a plane)!

We can't stop a determined school shooter, but let's expel ordinary kids who draw pictures of guns! (They'd have to have expelled every boy in my HS class in 1963 - but not the girls, they all drew horses on everything.)

By the way, I sleep so much easier now that I know the guy sweeping floors at Wal-Mart has been tested for drug use - wouldn't want no stoner armed with a broom!
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ross,

Did you really graduate back in 1963? (Oops! I did too.)

Things were different. Adult responsibility was actually expected of adults!

How did we survive without all that governmental interference?

No seat belts were available except with NASCAR. But they were on TV!

We played football without a face guard. In the case of my favorite sport, rodeo, we didn’t get vests for bullriders until I was too old to ride. We drank Cokes from reusable bottles that had value. And we played games with winners and losers. It was considered reality. I’m not sure Walt Disney ever envisioned fantasy going as far as it has today.

Let’s put up a sign and pretend it gets the job done.

For magicians, does this mean that we can ask the talent buyer to direct deposit our checks and let’s just send a sign to put up that says, “Pretend you have enjoyed a good magic show”. Think how many “no substance” shows we could do a day! We’ll need rest. Our “no substance” birds will be disease free and we won’t even have to feed, house and protect them.

Government magic will be unique!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » End of an era?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL