The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Coin Magic Advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicgirl
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magicgirl
Hi All,
I'm just getting into coin magic and in the next couple of weeks, I really want to devote my time to learning a few basic moves. I have Modern Coin Magic and I also have David Roth's first three coin videos. Basically what I am asking is what one move you would recommend a beginner to learn in the following categories:

Palming Method
Switch/Pass Method
Vanish Method

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Magicgirl
secondbaseman
View Profile
Loyal user
Amsterdam
225 Posts

Profile of secondbaseman
I am not a coin guy but I do know that the classic palm finger palm and thumb palm are 3 of the most used palms

hope it helps

Niels
pasteboard wizard
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of pasteboard wizard
Read the Bobo book, great stuff in it. Its explained pretty well, and the first couple of chapters will lay down a foundation for you. Welcome to the world of coins. Smile
magicgirl
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magicgirl
Ok... maybe if I tell exactly why I want to focus on just a few movements in the next two weeks it will help.

A very well known magician will be appearing in town this month and is doing a show followed by a lecture. Also, before the show he is offering a paid workshop that lasts for about an hour where he will work one on one with the participants on whatever they want - coins, cards, you name it. So, I want to be prepared with a few moves I have been practicing routinely rather than a whole list of stuff I don't know very well.

So maybe I should put it this way: if you were going to work with someone one-on-one with *beginner* coin moves, what would be the basics you would want to cover with them in that hour AND that you would want them to already at least be able to perform to some extent so you could help them refine their technique.

Magicgirl
erik
View Profile
New user
Bucks County, PA
90 Posts

Profile of erik
This sounds like a great opportunity, and I am jealous! Smile

When I renewed my interest magic (only rather recently), I think I made a mistake focusing too much on just the sleights - clearly, the sleights are the foundation that you will build you tricks on, but it helps to learn the sleights in context as well.

Perhaps, rather than focusing on 'raw' sleights, you might want to practice a couple routines that use the sleights. That way, the mentor can help you on all the aspects of the tricks. Of course, there is so much more to doing a trick well, other than just the secret move(s) that make it work...

The materials you have are excellent: Bobo and the Roth videos. Maybe you could pick a couple of the tricks from the Roth series that you particularly like.

Please let us know how it goes, there is _nothing_ like help from a master!

:spinningcoin:
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
That does sound like a great opportunity.

Just one technique per category might limit you needlessly -- you can probably get a start on a few more in this amount of time.

For palming:
Master the classic palm and finger palm. You'll get a lot of mileage out of these.

Switch/Pass:
The Bobo switch is a favourite of mine. Give it a shot. Also, the utility switch. These will both come in handy. You might also want to get a start on the varieties of the click pass, if you get the time before the lecture.

Vanishes:
Try the standard vanish and the simple vanish. Also, if you're meeting a master, I would highly recommend learning "A coin vanish" (usually called the "retention vanish") and getting him to have a look at how you do it. It's a great vanish when done properly. The French drop might also come in handy.

Keep working with Bobo -- you can never stop learning from that book.

At one point someone had posted a "Study Guide to Bobo" on the net. I can't remember who it was or what site the guide was on, but if you can find it, it's something worth looking at as you continue your Bobo work.

I hope you enjoy meeting this coin magician -- make sure you give us an update!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
The Bobo switch is one of the most versatile sleights you can learn; it can be used, of course, for dozens of things (and in dozens of routines), not just coins.
stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
Collinsville, Mississippi
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
You might try focusing on a routine like Coins Across, which can envolve all three coin sleights you mentioned. At least one of your coin magic references should have a good routine for you to start with.
And practice the sleights in context with the routine as erik advised.

Steve
tglund
View Profile
Regular user
Broomfield, CO, USA
115 Posts

Profile of tglund
For palming I would recommend the thumb palm, finger palm and the classic palm. for most effects these three should have you well covered.

For switches I will concurr with others and recommend the bobo switch.
magicgirl
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magicgirl
Well, I would really like to thank everyone for their advice. I am going to probably concentrate on the classic palm, finger palm, bobo switch, utility switch and the retention vanish. Also as suggested, I am going to work on Coins Across. I have the Michael Ammar coin tapes 1-3 and tape 1 has a version of this trick. I might consider another trick but that will depend on my progress. Incidentally, Michael Ammar is the magician giving this workshop. I will be sure to report back on how everything goes, and once again, thank you for your advice.
erik
View Profile
New user
Bucks County, PA
90 Posts

Profile of erik
This may or may not be the one Magicbarry mentioned, but it here is one study guide to Bobo:

http://www.zyworld.com/coinpurse/Articles90.htm

enjoy,

-erik
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Quote:
On 2002-11-07 08:41, erik wrote:
This may or may not be the one Magicbarry mentioned, but it here is one study guide to Bobo:

http://www.zyworld.com/coinpurse/Articles90.htm

enjoy,

-erik

That's the one. Thanks, Erik.
Magicrma
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
101 Posts

Profile of Magicrma
It really is hard to recommend a coin sleight for a specific person. Your hand size and personal movements makes you unique. Try to work on moves that will give you the ability
to vanish a coin(Vernon drop),
exchange a coin (Bobo switch) and
retain a coin unknown to your audience(Classic palm).
With these sleights you will be armed with the tools needed for a number of coin effects. Study and use what looks natural and relaxed for you.
Smile
MagicRMA
"The art of Illusion is at least 95% applied psychology" Henning Nelms (Magic & Showmanship)
<BR>
<BR>MagicRMA
<BR>Majicrma@msn.com
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I am new to magic, but I have been concentrating the last few months on basic coin technique. Since the Classic palm is so diffacult to master, I recommend concentrating on that first.
goto http://coinvanish.com and click on the "Foundations" section. It helped me greatly with my palm (I learned wrong, but was corrected by this site) The first coin routine I learned was a "2 in the hand, 1 in the pocket routine" It is educational to employ the palms in different ways to improve the basic routine. Good luck!!
Magic is fun!!!
deuces
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario
63 Posts

Profile of deuces
Ahh thanks!! I too remember seeing that article but forgot where it was. I've been learning card magic for a while and would now like to expand into coins. Off to check the link!
"Hockey eh?"
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
Magicgirl,
I really like Michael Ammar's "Complete introduction to coin magic" (Video, DVD) and would highly recomend it to someone just starting coin magic.

It teaches slights and then routines that use the slight as opposed to just raw slights. In my opinion the best method to learn anything is to apply it.

Best of luck with your coins, they are my favorite magic "prop"

Smile
Tony Chapparo
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Lots of good advice here, Magicgirl.

Do what is you!

Cheers!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Coin Magic Advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL