The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Coins (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I had been working on a routine. I love the cups and balls, but I also dislike over conventionality. I felt a coin routine would fit well, no gaffs. I start 3 ahead quarters, final load of fifty cent pieces, then final kickers of giant coins. I have it all worked out, I feel it is very magical, but I can't stop the jingle of the hidden coins. Is there a way out of this sans lining the cups with felt. I had considered leather cups. What do you think would work?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
I had considered leather cups. What do you think would work?

Playing cards..for the covers that is.

Mike
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I'm afraid I don't understand. Do you mean lining the cups with cards? or wrapping the coins? I have the coins nested in the stack twice in the routine for different effects, and as I tip them you hear the chink. also In one I load the coin in the stack as I stack so I can hear the coin slide in place. I may just have misunderstood you altogether. Thanks for the quick reply
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
As an aside I don't want the cups to completely cover the giant coins I like the look of the kicker being seemingly impossible. but I cant use shot glass size cups or cards wrapped like coins, because they are too small. I think.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Josh, use playing cards as the covers...to replace the cups.

Mike
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
OH. I'm going to give that some work. That would leave the cups for a regular routine. Thanks
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Mr. Gallo, That worked great. All the moves and effects I was using could be translated to flat cards, even the stacking sequence.
Thanks again.
By the way, is there a resource where I might be able to get more ideas for this effect?
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
Quote:
On 2005-10-25 18:53, mike gallo wrote:
Josh, use playing cards as the covers...to replace the cups.

Mike

that makes the card thru card and wand thru card as an opening sequence a bit tuffer. Smile
Deckless Wonder
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
By the way, is there a resource where I might be able to get more ideas for this effect?

Josh, In one of the close-up calvacades written by Jerry Mentzer...there is a routine by Ray Mertz using jumbo cards and coins...back in the 60's, my Dad and another local magician by the name of Billie Dunn had work on this using regular cards...I have a routine based on the latter with some ideas from the mertz routine as well as a routine by Mike Rogers called the 3 seashell game (I think that's the title)...at any rate, my routine will be in an upcoming book that Paul Cummins and myself are doing.

Mike
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Teh best resource to come up with ideas is your own brian... often with the help of another's in a session... it is always good to have someone else to work out ideas with mano a mano.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I just performed the basic cards and coin routine I have developed (With enormous help from Mr. Gallo) last night with the little magic group that has just started recently. I feel good about it. I need polish, but I don't take a shine well. Time and practice, it's all about time and practice.
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
I don't have my own Brian, Pete.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I was trying to create my routine through practice a little tonight, I have been having good luck with the cards, but I thought I might try something more uniform. I started thinking about giant coins as a cover..... but had the same "Talking" problem. Then it struck me: Use bills, dollar bills as covers. A little fold to opposite corners, and I had it! nothing really groundbreaking or new, but I feel good about it, so I felt I aught to let anyone who may care know.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
While you might not think it is anything ground breaking, I think it is great. For the reason that you thought of it, and covering the coins with bills make a lot more sense than playing cards...

Feeling good about your magic is a great thing!
Ignore me...
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ignore me...
I loved seeing Ray Mertz work, and eventually started using business cards and quarters or halves, with dollars for semifinal loads. The thing that seems to blow folks away is that, as the FINAL loads, a jumbo coin will fit under three fanned business cards, so after producing the second jumbo coin, one closes up the fan of three cards and drops them between the jumbo coins, and there is a HUGE size discreprancy. *laugh*

As a further suggestion for those interested, remember that one can also use shimmed coins and cards to do chop-type effects, coin changes and the like. I have done work with the basic ideas behind the "Three Coin Con" and other tricks, and working without tricky covers and props, while still eliminating anything which looks like a move, is pretty neat.

I'm glad to have met Ray while he was still around. Thanks, Ray!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Coins (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL