The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Hat manipulation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
OK, I've been dabbling with hat manipulation for a while now, using two old bowler hats that I got from a charity shop.

I have to say, it's brilliant! It looks so cool, flipping and tossing the hats about, catching and rolling them.

Anyone else tried hat manipulation? I'm aiming to have a trial routine ready in a month or so - once I've got a 3rd hat!

Cheers

ML
Rodney Massey
View Profile
Loyal user
pickering, ontario
231 Posts

Profile of Rodney Massey
I've tried a few moves with one hat. But I love to see masters at work. I'm a magician but I juggle a bit for fun- nothing serious; but when I see hat manipulation on its own or as part of a bigger routine I'm fascinated! It looks awesome!
Rod
Lithix
View Profile
Regular user
Tempe, AZ
168 Posts

Profile of Lithix
Yeah - I really love the way it looks, but I've never gotten into it, due to hats being sooo expensive. Also, I have a really big head, so it takes a large hat to fit on it. Smile
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Yeah, the hats can be pricey - I just kept looking at charity shops until I found what I needed. Much cheaper!

For those interested, there is a great instructional video on Hat manipulation by Andy Head. There is also some stuff in Complete Juggler by Dave Finnigan and The Juggler's Manual of Manipulative Miscellanea by Reg Bacon.

Cheers

ML

Kris Kremo does a very good 3 hat routine.

Some interesting stuff on hat manipulation has recently been discussed in the newsgroup rec.juggling (great place for jugglers).

Go here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&am......juggling

This is the google archive of rec.juggling (Google archives all Usenet groups) and you can search for Hat manipulation/juggling. Loads of useful stuff - including a recent bit from Steven Ragatz (Cirque Du Soleil) on making your own hats!

Cheers

ML
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
About the most I do, is a few ways of "flipping" them on. I use my fedora, but I've always wanted a nice bowler to play with. I've seen a lot of great moves out there.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
ML
Sounds great, always liked Hat Manipulation.
I don't know whether I saw it first on the "Red Skelton Show" or a "WC Fields" movie when I was a kid, but it has always intrigued me. Thanks for the websites to look at.
Steve
zzz Smile
Hernan
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
126 Posts

Profile of Hernan
I bought my bowler from renegadejuggling.com it was $80.00 The owner thought I was crazy for buying it (price) and yet he had a garage full of them!

They had really big sizes. I mean real big. So if you have the cash ....
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
There is now a website dedicated to Hat Manipulation! Check out: http://www.trickswithhats.org

Enjoy

ML
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
I just visited the site and it is Smile very good, and it has links to other interesting sites. If you are interested in Chapeaugraphy, you gotta check it out.
Steve Smile
zzz
magicguy88
View Profile
New user
Chicagoland
73 Posts

Profile of magicguy88
I once did a silent film ala Chaplin where we connected a hat to the ceiling with a string. When I threw the hat it made a magical circle around my body and I caught it on my other side. It looked great for the film but I was wondering how I could do this in my stage show without having to do connections to the scenery. Are there any other tricks with a gaffed hat?

Ryan Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Hat manipulation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL