The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » When can some one change it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I ask you guys this question because it mostly pertains to card effects.
When can someone chang the name of an effect?
I am writing my Scripts as suggested by Eugene Burger in "Mastering the Art of Magic"
But I was wondering if you are basically doing the phases as the DVD or book thought but you are changeing he Presentaion and patter. When can you change the name of YOUR EFFECT? Not to market but just to personalize?

Im looking for the Townsends, the Barry's, Bakers's, the Eternal Order's of this site. The guys wo have developed there own persona. I think you guys will understand what I am asking.
Ignore me...
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ignore me...
Why not just change it for yourself? Just by way of example, "Cardwarp" was retitled "The Inquisition" by Burger when he changed the patter.The idea of retaining the name "Cardwarp for a storyline wherein a victim is tortured in the name of Catholicism is a good argument for doing so, don't you think? Burger is one of the more extreme examples of retitling due to patter, with his different Gypsy thread routines and such.

What is your concern? That others won't understand that you have changed it? There was someone who retitled Brother Hamman's "Signed Card," with a brilliant piece of poetry named "Acid Queens." If you are worried that other magicians won't recognise it when you talk with them, you can talk with them about where it comes from, but retaining an original title for your lay audiences may just create confusion when there is a great dichotomy between story and title.

And imagine how confused audiences will be when you launch into your Cthulhu and the Old Ones patter, when the original title was "Hippity Hop Rabbits." *laugh*
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
You can change the name of your tricks anyway you like. If it makes more sense to you to call your interpretation of the Ambitious Card "The Cursed Card, that always comes back", then by all means do so.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Nobody has to know the name of the trick so why even give it a name?
If you feel you must then name it whatever you want.
I can see if you're keeping some sort of trick journal and name it for your own reference.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
No its just the opposite of that. I don't name the effects to most laymen I just wouldnt want to do anything wrong. You know what I mean. I have always performed but never really gave notes to the origins I would want to offend anyone if one day it got around and some one was like oh that's not a new trick that's just this trick so forth and so on. Just trying to cover my own arse if anything would ever come up..
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-10-28 14:04, paisa23 wrote:...When can you change the name of YOUR EFFECT? Not to market but just to personalize?...

My perspective has the item as named and published by its inventor. Period. One is expected to perform the thing in a way that suits oneself. If you write up and offer your script, give it any title you want (the script) and let it fly.

How do I refer to pieces I perform? By names given by audiences. People say the darnedest things, some of them special or even poetic. Can't hurt to listen to one's audiences. The way muggles describe a thing can yield good working titles and ones that speak to the presentation as opposed to spoiling the surprises. Much better to hear one asked for the "Apollo Soyuz trick" than "the trick where you make a Russian coin and my quarter change places in my hand". Smile

This from the guy who calls his coins across: "my coins across", and ALMOST published it in lecture notes in 1987 as "Winged Silver 87-88" as that was when I expected to be showing the thing around.

No I don't have a name for my handling of the twenty one cent trick that uses tweezers. It was called "the trick with the little tweezers" by muggles.

Anyway that's my perspective. The c-s transpo I do is pretty much one phase of the item in the Fred Kaps notes, and yes I am looking to get a sun/moon coin made up to try the second phase too. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » When can some one change it? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL