The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bad kids show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tjmagic
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
32 Posts

Profile of tjmagic
Ross,

Thanks for kind remarks. I have enjoyed your DVD and gained valuable knowledge from what you shared on it. It's nice to know that every once in a while we're not alone in our experiences.

Smile
Tim Mannix
<BR>www.funamazingmagic.com
<BR>
<BR>"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." -- Lazarus Long
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
Hello Tim:
Bad kids? There is no such thing as a bad audience, just a bad performer. Who ever said this does not do enough kids shows and home birthday parties! No matter how good you are, sooner or later, you are going to get them.
Bad venues? It is amazing that some parents have no idea what a Magician's Show requires to perform properly and I find that I often do not get a good performing situation. However, experience will teach you what do do and how to deal with this.
To Tim. I have seen your videos and you are a very good performer. You do your show the best you can and carry on, but when things get out of hand, I just go to my last routine and end my show. There is a limit to what I will put up with. If it is any comfort, when you get a good show with a good audience, it makes you appreciate it even more. Cheers! Yours truly, Vincent!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Why should a parent know what a magic show requires?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2020, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
Why should a parent know what a magic show requires?

True.

I would take the initiative and email the clients a week before the party with a Tip Sheet on "How we can make this a Memorable and Successful Magic Show".
The email could contain a PDF document and/or a link to your Website which has a list of things that will make the show go smoothly, including sample seating plans (illustrations showing typical living room set ups). If you can get them to send you photos from their phone showing the room you will be performing in (with the dimensions of the room, if it's not clear from the photos) then you know what to expect and can make suggestions for where you will need to set up your performing area with your table and how to arrange seating for children. Your list of 'Tips for a Memorable and Successful Show' should include everything else you require. If you need a few minutes of set-up time in private ,let them know that ahead of time, so they don't expect you to just walk in and set up your show while surrounded by the kids. Obviously if you have a "packs small, plays big" type of suitcase show that is pretty much set up and ready to go as soon as you open up your case that takes away a lot of the pressure of needing extra set-up time when you arrive on site, but if your show has more large props and tables that need some set-up time, let the client know you will need that time with no one else in the room while you prep for the show.

Here's a great article by Dan McLean on "Advancing Your Show" , about how to contact your clients in advance to let them know the requirements you have for your show. This is aimed primarily at performers working theatrical venues, but the ideas can be adapted to those working birthday party shows in private homes.

https://magicroadie.danmcleanjr.com/advancing-your-shows/

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bad kids show (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL