The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Ultimate Marked Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
427 Posts

Profile of boinko
Quote:
On 2010-12-31 13:53, Failed Magician wrote:
Does McCabe's system require us to do the markings by ourselves?

Yes -- and that's the great thing. Pete's book goes into an insane level of detail about the proper placement for the markings. It's superb. The first deck takes a bit, but after that it's -- literally -- a matter of 15 minutes or so (even less) to mark a complete deck of bikes. Plus, as I say, Pete includes some killer effects (and ideas) in the PDF.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
One time I've tried to mark it myself with a red Sharpie but the color looks off and can be spotted quickly from far away. Maybe it was only because I knew what I was looking for.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Quote:
On 2011-01-10 23:00, Failed Magician wrote:
One time I've tried to mark it myself with a red Sharpie but the color looks off and can be spotted quickly from far away. Maybe it was only because I knew what I was looking for.

By using a red marker...you are trying to do what is called "block-out" work.

If you want to do "cut-out" work, you can sue a razor to scrape or "cut-out" areas of the card. This is easier to do...but, both can easily be detected by using the gamblers riffle test or if light hits the card from an angle.

Enjoy and good luck !
Long Island,

New York
Jack Baines
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Jack Baines
Quote:
On 2011-01-10 23:00, Failed Magician wrote:

Apparently the red sharpie does not quite match the red back bicycle cards, but the blue sharipie ink is apparently a perfect match for the blue backed cards.

I've used it with bicycle backed ESP decks and its never been spotted.
Johnny4781
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Johnny4781
Hi Guys,

I have a few marked decks, but as I get older, my eyes are continuing to struggle with clearly seeing the markings... does McCabe's system use LARGER markings??

Thanks loads, Guys!!
Johnny
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Johnny,

To a certain extent, that's up to you. The exact size of the markings is a compromise between visibility and invisibility. If you follow the McCabe method *exactly* I think you will find the markings to be inconspicuous.

On the other hand, having to make them yourself does train your mind, your eye, and your mind's eye to find the markings in a way that may make a self-marked deck easier to use than a purchased-marked deck.

Hope this makes sense!

Woland
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

A self marked deck will also be more deceptive if you come up with your own marking pattern.

Ths is because people will be looking for "what they know", but, if you ue your own marking patterns finding them will be much more difficult...even for knowledgeable people.

Of course, the gamblers riffle test will be able to detect all cut-out or block-out work marks made with a razor (cut-out) or with a magic marker (block-out) work.

Remembering 13 marking patterns is easy...just make some flash cards (like school) and you should nail the memorization quickly.
Long Island,

New York
Johnny4781
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Johnny4781
Dear Woland & Expertmagician,
Thank you for response & input!! It sounds like it should resolve my problem.... keep in mind that, at this point, I don't 'completely' understand what's involved, but I think I know more than I knew before ... this brings one more question to mind - what are the differences between the McCabe system & the "juice" markings I've heard about? And with my close-up, blurred vision, which system would you recommend?

Thanks so much, Guys!
Johnny
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Johnny,

Mr. McCabe's system is closer to Mr. Ted Lesley's, the UMD, and I think Mr. Wild's than it is to "juicing." I honestly can't say which one "you" will find more usable. (I don't use a "juiced" deck.) I would suggest you make up one of each and gain direct experience . . . .

Hope this helps.

Woland
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Juice is VERY different than the marked cards discussed in this thread. You are correct about reading Juice by "unfocusing" your eyes...this does not mean squinting or crossing your eyes. It WILL take practice to read Juice marks and the pre-marked Juice decks are not a good idea to buy....you will find that they are either too obvious because the marks are too intense or the marks are too subtle for beginners to read.

Juice marks ar VERY deceptive and work better on some back designs than others. In addition, different marking patterns need to be used based upon the cards you are using.

Personally, think Juice is OVERKILL for most magicians unless they work for a VERY knowledgeable audience.
Long Island,

New York
Johnny4781
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Johnny4781
Hello again Woland & Expertmagician,

Thank you once again for your input & I will experiment & see what works best for me!! If you get any more ideas to share with me, please feel free to submit them here & I will check back every now & then.

Thanks loads, Guys!!
Johnny
eddie2m
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of eddie2m
Can anyone give me a source for purchasing poker sized card boxes that are completely blank?.
No printing at all! I appreciate any info.
Thanks Eddie
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Why not open a box and turn it inside out ? I did not try it....But, it may work if you just want to print on one side.
Long Island,

New York
ciel
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of ciel
Eddie2m try the Card collection in the Uk ,they always had them on their list.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2005, PapaG wrote:
Anyone have experience of the Fournier marked deck that is marketed?
No direct experience of the Fournier but I like what I see and will be getting one.

I have the DMC marked deck and I absoluteley love it. I have blown people away with my mind reading stunts. This deck is available from Davenports and is reviewed on youtube.
Use the FORCE Luke.
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Blank playing card source: Amazon bricks of 250 and 500. standard card stock and inecpensivr

+1 on DMC Deck
RiBo
View Profile
New user
Orando, FL
78 Posts

Profile of RiBo
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2015, mtgoldstein wrote:
Blank playing card source: Amazon bricks of 250 and 500. standard card stock and inecpensivr

+1 on DMC Deck

I've considered trying the DMC deck before, but the DMC markings look so obvious to me, I worry that they will be similarly obvious to an audience. How do they play to spectators? In close up? Do they just leap out to me because I've been using readers for so long?
Trentonmatthew
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Trentonmatthew
I had the same experience using a red sharpie on a pack of red bikes. I’m curious if anyone has found a pen that is a perfect match?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Ultimate Marked Deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL