The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ideas needed for more classics to master... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
I love the classics that seem like "real" magic. Never been a big fan of gadgets and such. When you produce a dove out of a pan or a rabbit out of a hat, even though it's cool, it just seems like it should be obvious to the audience that there's a trapdoor or a pouch or something.

But when you produce lemons out of three cups when there is seemingly no possible way they could have gotten in there, it's amazing. When the zombie ball is done WELL, and a metal sphere seems to hang in mid air a few feet from the audience and there seems to be no way there could be strings, it's amazing. They seem almost like true sorcery. These are the two main tricks I'm practicing right now.

What are some other classics that are like this? That take skill to perform well, don't involve a suspicious "gadget," but are high on the "sorcery" factor.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Chop Cup, Sponge Balls, Linking Rings...Are just the tip of the iceberg!
:bluebikes: Smile Smile

<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
Yeah, sponge balls, not so much. Same with chop cup. Too similar to cups and balls which is my favorite. But linking rings are definitely next on my agenda.
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
U.F. Grants version of Out of This World, a simple cut and restored rope routine or The Professor's Nightmare, everyone loves seeing the linking rings and the vanish and reappearance of a silk via TT.
You have to give it away to keep it.
Chris Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
242 Posts

Profile of Chris Miller
You could try multiplying billiard balls, or a chink-a-chink type assembly with coins/dice/bottlecaps/etc. I also think some of the TT vanishes of a silk are classic.

Chris
Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
Rope is on my list, but it just seems a little short of amazing to me except of course for the Professor's Nightmare. Have to learn that one. Not a big fan of silk. Still too much like the aformentioned "gadgets" in that there is something inherently suspicious about it.
Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
Rope is on my list, but it just seems a little short of amazing to me except of course for the Professor's Nightmare. Have to learn that one. Not a big fan of silk. Still too much like the aformentioned "gadgets" in that there is something inherently suspicious about it.
Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
Miser's Dream - done with streams of coins coming from the most unlikely of places. "That's just too many coins for him to be concealing in his hands!"

It definitely takes skill to do convincingly, and it takes a good imagination to come up with an entertaining presentation.

- Steve
Sean
View Profile
Loyal user
No Cal
205 Posts

Profile of Sean
How about spending $25 for a copy of Tarbell 1? (Or $200 for the entire set?) Or less than that for Bobo or Royal Road. All of those books contain dozens of classics that I think fulfill your requirements.
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
I'm amazed that my favorite classic, The Egg Bag, wasn't even mentioned.
Like Patton said, "How fleeting fame"....
Ted (Leondo)
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Producing cards from bare hands.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Chop cup, when done properly is a jaw dropper. The specs will always be sure there is 'something' and they will often try to look under the cup. Take a look at Don Alan's routine on That's Incredible. At one point Kathy Lee bends over and looks under the cup. Don Allen, performer that he was, encouraged that. If you watch closely when the cup was 'clean' he tipped it back, flashing the inside. Kathy Lee fell for it and looked inside. He just looked at her like "Satisfied?"

Bobo's was a good idea. I suggest Peregrinating Halves and Gadabout Coins.

Zombie is another. Like Linking Rings, it takes a ton of practice to get it right.

Dancing Cane is yet another.

Oh yeah, thimbles.
dreid007
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of dreid007
Nothing is new everything is just a modified version of something old
dreid
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ideas needed for more classics to master... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL