The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Hook Up for Manual Dancing Hank (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I would like to set up a manual dancing hank hook up using assistants for stage or in a theatre setting. Can anyone help me on this matter? Or is there a resource for this topic? All I have is the Adams Dancing Hank manuscript. I would like to incorporate my complete set of Bogunia Dancing Hank (UDH,IH,AS)System with this. Right now, I can't afford his PTS.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Lou,
What do you need to know? The Blackstone and Calvert methods are both in print. Mike Ching wrote a good book on the floating effects.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I want the hank to fly towards the audience in a triangle and return to me. Is this possible? I plan to use a motorized reel controlled by my assistant.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
I believe that Sean Bogonia ( however you spell his name) has a new one out that does that and more
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
David Seebach taught David Copperfield how to do his as he did for years in his annual spook show. I know John Bundy has played with it also.

I guess the main problem would be the prethreading of all the area and using a large enough eyelet to let the hank go through. Just a couple of thoughts.

Obviously, you would have to switch hook up for the normal dancing hank. Maybe even just switch the hank for a thin white silk.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Or multiple hanks can be used. The first shooting across the audience doesn't have to be the same one returning.

I mean even with UDH and IH2.0 I end up using three different white silks posing as the same ONE silk. The first I pull from pocket and tie a knot at the tip, drop into a box and begin UDH (second silk). Eventually I switch UDH with IH2.0 (third silk) to finish off the routine.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I recently purchased an old video and booklet of Ralph Adams performing his classic Dancing Hank routine. It's a two person, off-stage hookup, but some of the animations are just gorgeous.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
I haven't heard of Ralph's Dancing hank, where can I look this up?

Magicjoe
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I saw Ralph Adams do this at Sea World and at conventions. His little baby hank finish is great.

What you are looking for is a video and book that were sold together giving all of Ralph Adam's magic. It is all very simple, practical and effective.

I think Stevens Magic or Denny and Lee may still have them.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
That's exactly what I purchased recently from Martinka's! It's really amazing how much magic has changed over time, but Ralph really was a master.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Aloha Lou;

The Ralph Addams routine is highly visual and very pleasing. If I read correctly and understand you have 1 assistant only there is a version of it Ralph allowed me to include in NEW ANIMATIONS that is mechanical and does basically the same act with only 1 operator (Jonathan Pendragon used to run the rig for Addams when he was younger). You can order the Dancing Hank book from Dennys/Viking/Magic Warehouse and others. All these rigs are included.

You might also try the MANDRAKE version wich I believe inspired Ralphs version. It is a little simpler to run and still very effective. You can do a lot with it and mechanics are kept to an absolute minimum.

There are several other ideas that are even simpler and may be used to enhance devices like Seans. "Mixed method" routining is very common nowadays, using different hank gimmicks to do things impossible with just one.

If you use a "Spine" hank you can actually begin the animations down in the audience. The trick is to practice to achieve the "look" of the line-operated Hank, not too hard to do.

Good Luck

-MikeC
fanwun
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of fanwun
Christopher Brent's Flying Silk hook up might also help.

http://themagicwarehouse.com/stage3.html#ma2436

Sha
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
I like Christopher's idea a lot. It may not be a long routine but it is intriguing and will set many magi off the mark. It is inexpensive to set up, and yes requires only the magician. I beleive he sells it in manuscript form and it is a good investment for anyone into floating!

I often meet Chris at WORLD MAGIC SEMINAR as he is demonstrator for COLLECTORS WORKSHOP. (Chris I sincerely hope this is the right info!) He is a very friendly and pleasant young guy to chat with.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Hook Up for Manual Dancing Hank (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL