The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Will applause scare your bunny? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I have my bunny now trained to like the load chamber. He does enjoy being petted by other people. Nice temperment. But I haven't used him in a show yet. I am concerned that the applause with frighten or startle him. I certainly don't want to taumatise him the first show. Can anyone offer some advise on this? Thanks!

Mark
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
I don't think it is anything major to worry about...mine was never startled by applause...and besides...even if it is...it is kindof like a kid and fireworks...they get used to it after a few times.
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2005-11-07 19:04, mdspark wrote:
I have my bunny now trained to like the load chamber...he does enjoy being petted by other people..nice temperment. But I havent used him in a show yet..I am conserned that the applause with frighten or startle him...I certainly don't want to taumatise him the first show...can anyone offer some advise on this? Thanks!

Mark

Hi Mark--here is a tip on how to get the bunny use to noise and applause.
Put the bunny in a top hat and place it in front of your TV set, then, put on the children programs.I usually let the bunny stay for a couple hours a day, Eventually it will get used to the children clapping and making all sorts of noise.
Try it, and you'll see instant improvement.
Richard Lyn.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Hi Richard, nice to hear from you again. That sounds like a really good idea.

Mark, if you are concerned about it, I would do something like Richard said to see how the bunny will react, before you actually do a show with it. That way, you would have more piece of mind. Having said that, some bunnies I have owned are more nerveous than others, but it has never been a real problem for any of my rabbits. Just make sure you hold the bunny properly and with a firm grip in case it tries to get away while on stage. Even calm rabbits can get spooked and suddenly try to leap from your arms. In a magic show setting you never can tell when something could happen suddenly that could scare your rabbit.

Regan
Mister Mystery
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Thank you guys so much for the great advise! That really helps a lot. I will certainly put it into action. You guys have really set my mind at ease.

Thank You,

Mark
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Your rabbit WILL NOT be upset by children clapping.
There is nothing you need to do.

Bob
Stevenleeaugust
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Stevenleeaugust
Quote:

.....Put the bunny in a top hat and place it in front of your TV set, then, put on the children programs.I usually let the bunny stay for a couple hours a day, .....

poor bunny...
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Bob, thanks for that bit of insight. Very interesting, I just figured even the tamest bunny would likely be startled at least that first time.

Mark
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I don't think it could hurt to condition him to sudden noises, etc. Using the television seems like a good idea to me as the amount of exposure can been controlled. Getting him used to a sitting in a top hat is a bonus, I guess. Smile
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
I have used my two bunnies in a lot of shows, and I have to say that there isn't much to startle them... Maybe I am lucky... Maybe it is the fact that I have two kids of my own, and they enjoy plying with them... Humm, could that be the secret?

Louis Jutras
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Possible. Smile
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Netherland Dwarfs bunnies are jittery critters by nature. Some more so than others.

I had a female Netherland that was more 'jumpy' than any male Netherland I have ever owned. She was more "hateful" too. Still, I used her all the time on stage and she did fine.

I imagine the larger breeds would be more calm than the Netherland Dwarfs.
Mister Mystery
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2005-11-09 18:09, magicalaurie wrote:
I don't think it could hurt to condition him to sudden noises, etc. Using the television seems like a good idea to me as the amount of exposure can been controlled. Getting him used to a sitting in a top hat is a bonus, I guess. Smile

Not from the rabbit's point of view.

Bob
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Quote:
On 2005-11-10 21:20, Regan wrote:
Netherland Dwarfs bunnies are jittery critters by nature. Some more so than others.

I had a female Netherland that was more 'jumpy' than any male Netherland I have ever owned. She was more "hateful" too. Still, I used her all the time on stage and she did fine.

I imagine the larger breeds would be more calm than the Netherland Dwarfs.

Regan, mine is a Netherlands Dwarf and doesn't seem jumpy per se, he does have an out going personality but kind of a mind of his own sometimes...if he doesn't want to be held, he lets you know by squirming. That is why I was a bit concerned...if upon production, he decides he doesn't want to be held lol.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Mark,
The 'squirming' seems to be a normal reaction. I have owned 7 Netherlands and all of them would try to get away at times while being held. Just make sure you have a proper hold on the rabbit when you pick it up abd keep a firm grip at all times.
Mister Mystery
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I don't think it would be harmful for the rabbit to be sensitized in a safe, controlled environment- his home- to situations he will be exposed to during performance in unfamiliar settings.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I agree Magicalaurie. In fact I think it could be helpful. It may not be neccessary in all cases, but like you said, what could be the harm?

Regan
Mister Mystery
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou, Regan.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
A lot of very helpful advice from all of you. Any other comments are always welcome!

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Will applause scare your bunny? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL