The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Would Cruise Ships Employ Close Up Magicians? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Is it possible for close up magicians to get work on cruise ships? Or is it more for illusionists, and stand up acts?
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1213 Posts

Profile of APC
I guess you would need to ask the cruise line.
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
800 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Hi Flec
I have worked for ships for the past several years and have never heard of just a closeup magician being employed doing just close-up magic. In most cases you'll find that magicians do there regular shows on the ships (usually two different 45-50 minute acts) and do a close-up show on top of their regular work. I do a 40 minute close-up show just to sell my DVD's on the ships.
Rather than look at cruise ships, look at other 'water' gigs such as river boat cruises or one night cruises. I know here in Vancouver they have regular Xmas cruises which go our for a night ... dinner cruises ... this would be one place to look at.
All the best
paul
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://www.paulromhanymagic.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Some ships will require you to do more than just roving. You may also have to do the party games around the pool etc.

Not all but some boats like to get their money's worth so the more you can do the better.

Perhaps you may consider being a host who performs some magic. This can be a lot of fun and may get your foot in the door. Just remember if you are a host, smile a lot.
bubbleburst2004
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of bubbleburst2004
Quote:
On 2005-11-09 02:12, icentertainment wrote:

so the more you can do the better.

I think you'll actualy find, the more you do, the less you'll get paid.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
That is also very true. But you will have your foot in the door.

Hosts don't get paid as much as entertainers. But if you don't have any experience, it may be an... (and I repeat) It may be an option for you.
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
800 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Regarding cruise ships. There are two different views on whether you should go on as crusie staff and hope one day to become a Guest Entertainer or wait until you are ready to do ships then go on as a Guest Entertainer.

From my experience over the past six years working on ships, I would have to say wait until you are ready to go out as a Guest Entertainer. If you have worked hard at your craft and are good enough to work on ships then get yourself on as 'an act' ONLY. (I'm talking about Cruise ships here, not your local dinner cruises). I know of one young guy who works as "cruise staff" and wants to become a Guest Entertainer, but it's downright impossible for him to be taken seriously by the cruise director and Head Office because they just see him as one of the 'staff'. The only thing for him now is to get a good promo package together and send it to another cruise line ... of course he now knows the 'feel' of cruise ship life, so he has that background behind him when he is ready to try and make the transition.

I have worked on ships where the dancers were also cruise staff and they didn't like it because the passengers wouldn't take them seriously as 'professional dancers', which they trained for years to become.

Regarding your original question about close-up on cruise ships, the only people who really do 'close-up' full time are the 'bar' staff and waiters! You will find on most ships that over the many years of working as 'bar' staff a lot of them really love magic and use close-up to get 'tips'. I've seen them perform cups and balls, card tricks, coins and one of the most popular stunts is the 'napkin rose'. Most of it they pick up when they go to a magic shop so it's not 'finger flicking' magic but passengers get a kick out of it.

My own personal close-up show on cruise ships is a 40 minute 'formal' close-up show which is projected on to a large screen.

Good luck Flec and let us know how you get on.
Regards
Paul Romhany
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://www.paulromhanymagic.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you have another service to offer the ship then they will use the close up gladly. I personally do a hypnosis show which is quite popular. Then I can offer a comedy magic parlor set we would call it.

I started just hanging out in the bar when the right people were there and doing close up magic. This really made an impact on them so I gave promo discs and they got them to the right people. So I am asked to do close up now on occasion, but would rather double dip and get 2 salaries!

Comedy is right about the staff positions. In addition they are draining and demoralizing. You are the all powerfull magician handing out towels at the cabanna!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Would Cruise Ships Employ Close Up Magicians? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL