The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » 160Q QUALATEX vs 260Q QUALATEX (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
I am new to balloons.
What is the difference between the 160Q and 260Q ?

Which is the better for balloon sculpting ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Warren
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
About an inch in diameter.

To be honest, it seems like you could do to read some good books on the subject of balloon modelling and familiarise yourself with the art.

Asking questions is all well and good, but doesn't give you the 'full' education.

This is meant to be constructive - not a criticism of your question, by the way.

Best of,

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation x 2
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Warren:

The 160 is 1 inch in diameter by 60 inches long - when inflated. The 260 is 2 inches in diameter by 60 inches long - when inflated. The "Q" at the end stands for "Qualatex" which is the manufacturer of the balloons. There are other manufacturers, but I'd say Qualatex is the biggest and best.

The 260 balloon is much more common than the 160. You'll finds lots of information on the 260 balloon (books, videos, DVDs), but relatively little information on the 160 - they are mostly used for "miniatures". They are also nearly impossible to inflate by mouth.

Ron
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Warren,

I also use the 260Q's. As Ron mentioned, these are the most commonly used balloons for modeling.

I agree with Dave in that good books are most important in your quest to become a balloon guy. Check T. Myers Magic from Texas. ( http://tmyers.com/ ). He specializes in balloons and has everything you would need to get started. You will at least be able to see what is available and then try and shop closer to home.

The first books I got on the subject came from a Barnes and Noble bookstore (you can also check Amazon.com or one of the large bookstores in your area). It was called "Balloon Animals" by Aaron Hsu-Flanders. I then got the follow-up book called, you guessed it, "More Balloon Animals" by the same author. It is a nice, beginner book that includes step by step photos to get you up to speed with basic shapes, twists, etc... and includes a small palm pump (looks a lot like a turkey baster bulb) and about a dozen or so balloons to get you started.

You can go to a local "party supply store" and get hand pumps and bags of balloons to start with. These will be cheap, imported, balloons and more of them will pop than do the ones from Qualitex, but hey, your still having fun.

Make sure you use a pump and don't try blowing them up by mouth to start. You'll probably pass out! I've been making balloon animals for years and still can't do it.

Good luck. I know you will have fun learning and will bring a smile to a lot of people in the process. Just make sure there are a lot of children around when you start because your going to have soooo many balloon figures around that you'll need a way to get rid of them. Smile
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I personally prefer the 160's for my restaurant work. I can do anything with a 160 that I can do with a 260...but on a slightly smaller scale that fits better on the restaurant table. The 160's are less likely to pop and cause a startled guest to spill a spoonful of soup into their lap or tip a glass. Even when they do pop, the 160's are far more likely to remain in one or two large pieces...protecting nearby salads, entrees and coiffes.

I prefer the 260's and larger for parties, street and stage performances.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Carl Skenes
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Carl Skenes
Warren,

The 260's have a thicker wall than the 160's, making them more durable. Because of this, they also hold their air quite a bit longer than the thinner-walled 160's. If you mouth inflate 260's, then 160's shouldn't pose a problem.

I use both 160's and 260's, as well as many other sizes and shapes of balloons, in my sculptures. If you're going with the status quo and want to stick with twisting balloon doggies and swords, then go with the 260's. On the otherhand, you could think outside of the box and experiment with all the different types of balloons. Be creative. Be an artist.
millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
Thanks for your information, it is much appreciated.

I spent some time looking around the Qualtex web site(www.qualatex.com), but was unable to find the information you guys have given me.

Thanks
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Warren,

I also looked at the Qualatex site, and your right! Nothing there for a beginner. That is why all the other resources (T. Myers Magic, Barnes and Noble, Amazon, local party stores, etc...) were listed. Go back and reread the posts and you'll be able to find a wealth of information to help get you started.

Mark.
millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
Thanks Mark.
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
mtso2000
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of mtso2000
For different reason I use both. Foe example, for the teddy bear I use the 160 and for swords I like 260.
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
On BHQ, look for the information about a lady in CA named Jeanine. (NO, I don't think that she is the one Soul Coughing sings about.) http://www.balloonhq.com/dbindex/complete.php?id=1378 . Click on her portfolio for lots of pics of her stuff, and info on booklets.

She has a number of items out on creations with 160s. The first one I made from the Vol 2.5, Bracelets, received applause from the entire group watching me, and heard the comment, "Now THAT is ART!". Needless to say, I like her stuff.

Some other benefits of 160s, aside from what have been mentioned:

Price...
More twists per balloon (due to less air displaced by each twist.)
Greater ability for detail
Counter-intuitively, the size makes them impressive. If they've seen many balloons before, they've seen the ubiquitous 260. IF you add detail, the 160 can SHINE!

I still tend to use more 260s, but 160s have become a part of my apron in the past few months.

Another resource: http://www.mbd2.com . Books, vids, balloons, articles and a great forum.
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » 160Q QUALATEX vs 260Q QUALATEX (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL