The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » ICBM (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Joe Cabral has done it yet again..A first class gathering of the magi at the ICBM from the 10-13th. Outstanding convention.

I would list highlights, but there were so many. Losander blew us away at the Sat evening show. A very unexpected technique with his floating table. Surprised us all!

David Parr is a wonderful performer and great thinker. If you ever get a chance to see him either perform or lecture, do so!

There were so many other fine, fine lectures and performances.

By the way David, please keep the additions to you lecture ( the Armenian Noise effect and the Tent Revival effect) exclusive to ICBM!

Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
psyclops
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
93 Posts

Profile of psyclops
Any news about Mary Tomich's hard-bound version of The Altar Flame? Still no chnages at The Museum.
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
She didn't mention it and I didn't think to ask. She had very few items with her.
Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
psyclops
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
93 Posts

Profile of psyclops
I guess she still has to release the last issue. Perhaps she will surprise us before the end of the year. A christmas gift to myself I suppose! Actually, I could find a way to splurge on the Basom Jones Magick hardback as well. Too bad a ll 4 volumes have not been published... yet.

-- Tony
Viano
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Viano
I can only second the comments of Trinity. It was great!!!!!

re Mary Tomich
She reported difficulties with her printer. It was not possible to resolve these in time for the Gathering. They should be worked out shortly after she returns.

As to her having few items; she actually had many items, but Brother Walt bought them as she was unpacking them. Several items never actually touched the table before he bought them.

Rich
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Tony, thank you for your kind assessment of my work. I hope everyone enjoyed the lectures and performances as much as you did!

Dawn and I had a great time at the gathering. It was nice to see so many old friends, and to make some new friends. There is no other event like it in the world, and that makes it important. Here's wishing it continues for another fourteen years.
Dan Mindo
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
125 Posts

Profile of Dan Mindo
I would really like to hear from people on this forum that attended the ICBM. For those of us who have never attended this event, it would be helpful to know what you thought of it. If it is a great event, then favorable comments here would probably draw more people at next years gathering. This is one of the only convention's focused on Bizzare Magick, it seems a pity that it has come and gone with such little fanfare.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Dan,

I unfortunately I haven't made it to the ICBM Gathering yet. I am, though, planning on coming next year. I already have a tentative okay from my better half and my employer. So, as much as I'd like to help with you're question, I can't until next year. With that in mind, are there any tentative dates as of yet?

Thanks,
Mark
What would Wavy do?
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Although I have missed a couple of Joe Cabral's Gathering conventions, I hope I can attend in 2006. Cabral usually tries for the second weekend in November, but the actual date depends on several factors.

The Gathering is held in Cromwell, Connecticut, which is about 15 miles from Hartford. You fly into Hartford, but must then use surface transportation to get to Cromwell. Cabral will have current information on his website when it becomes available:

http://www.icbmmagick.com/
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Thanks Bill.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
rr
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of rr
Dan,

If it’s favorable comments that you’d like to hear, let me toss in my two cents.

The ICBM Gathering was an intimate gathering of extremely like-minded individuals that featured fantastic lectures, unparalleled opportunity to personally connect, a wonderful environment to vet material new and old alike and, above all else, an atmosphere of extreme warmth and comradery.

I had the pleasure of attending for the first time this year and the overwhelming feeling that I took away, beyond all of the wonderful technical and business discussions, was a decidedly familial one. You won’t find a more supportive, encouraging and positive group – ironic considering that the group is often considered “bizarre” and “dark”.

If you want to go to an event that features productive collaboration rather than senseless cut-throat competition, this is the one. Authentic wonder abounds at this event – the jaded need not apply.

-Roderick
-----------------------
www.roderickrussell.com
-----------------------
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Greetings,

I've attended The Annual Gatherings of the Magi since the 5th one. I look forward to this every year. When I started going it was a one day event. When Docc Hilford stopped the Weerd Weekends, Joe Cabral and the ICBM picked up the slack and turned it into a 3 day event.

Attendees are treated to a number of lectures, many by top name performers. In the past we've had Eugene Burger, Max Maven, Jeff McBride, Charles Pecor, Jay Scott Berry, Craig Dickson, David Parr, Losander and many more. There is also a works in progress show. People are encouraged to show effects that they are working on and afterwards, throughout the Gathering, constructive criticism is offered. There is also a close up show, and an evening show with dinner.

There is also plenty of down time between events for people to grab a bite to eat and just get together and talk shop. Then there is the hospitality suite at the end of the evening where everyone gathers. Food and drink are plentiful and it's basically like one big cocktail party with everyone talking shop or whatever happens to be on your mind.

There is definately a family feel to the convention. Those who have attended in the past have walked away knowing that they have not attending your normal magic convention. Nope, it's not just a convention.....it's The Gathering, a supportive event with everyone there to help each other out and advance the art of bizarre magick.

Hope to see some of you next year. I know I'll be there.

Live well, Die well,
EVILDAN.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Oh, and then there are the unplanned events that attendees volunteer to do. For example, one performer from the West Coast, who shall remain nameless unless he chooses to reveal his name on this public forum, gave a workshop on marketing oneself. It was something that originally was going to be presented for those interested in the hospitality suite, but grew to a two and a half hour lecture that just zipped by. Many felt it was the highlight of this year's Gathering and that this alone was worth the price of admission.

EVILDAN.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Dan:

We met at the Phoenix Gathering. I attended 10 or 11 of the ICBM Gatherings (I can't keep count anymore). All I can say is GO!!!

This is by far my favorite of the Bizarre Magick and related Gatherings I have attended (and I've been to Weerd Weekend, Mystery School, the Phoenix Gathering and the Edinburgh Gathering, which is my 2nd favorite). My wife looks forward to this and she hates magic conventions. As EvilDan says, this is like one big party where everyone gets a chance to share their ideas. Yea, there are organized events and lectures, but I think the most important aspects are the conversations and interactions which take place in the hospitality suite and rooms.

Magickally,
Dave Birtwell
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
And all treat each other as equals. True camaraderie.

Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
Dan Mindo
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
125 Posts

Profile of Dan Mindo
Thanks everyone. Your comments were very helpful. I really wanted to go this year but it was on the same weekend that my daughter turned four years old. I have attended Mystery School, Mysterium and The Phoenix Gathering. All were wonderful events. David Parr told me that I would really enjoy this convention but he might have had a different experience (being a featured performer there) than someone who was just a regular attendee. Well it seems from the comments here, that is not the case.

If anyone has a detailed review of this years ICBM that they would post here it would be great. Thanks again.
Brian J. Hatcher
View Profile
New user
Charleston WV
52 Posts

Profile of Brian J. Hatcher
This year is my second ICBM Gathering. I would recommend the Gathering to any magician. You know, when I started out in magic, I had this goofy idea that magicians were nice to each other and wanted to see each other do well. A trip to my local magic club showed me differently. But a trip to Cromwell CT showed me that camaraderie and a nurturing spirit among magicians was not only possible, but existed to a level I had never thought possible. Forgive me if I seem a bit over-emotional, but the ICBM is the closest thing I have to a magickal home.
Maior Cogitatio Magiam Maiorem Facit
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Joe Cabral who is the main engine in putting on the Gathering will not have access to a computer for a while. He heard about the good words said about the Gathering and wanted to thank everyone.

He also wanted to let people know that next year's Gathering will run Nov 16 - 19, 2006. More info can be found here: http://www.icbmmagick.com/events.php

EVILDAN.
by EVILDAN....
PM me for more info.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » ICBM (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL