The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Noting down routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BobGreaves
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
152 Posts

Profile of BobGreaves
I wanted to note down details of moves, pointers to some routines (coins as it happens) for future reference. I felt that if I didn't practise a routine for a while some I would forget some parts.
But I have found it a very long and laborious process, unless I used some form of diagramming technique. (I have used various techniques in work, such as work-study, process flow, etc). However to invent a diagramming technique from scratch to convey: which hand, shape of hand, direction of movement, sleight, etc. to be even more time consuming.
My question is this: does anyone else make notes? and, if so, what format do they take?
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
It would be better to shoot a video of yourself performing the routine. That way you could also watch out for your angles and lessen flashing and also to see if you're improving.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I have a similar problem and note some routines in a display book with plastic pockets.
Not as you do to remember the routines I do, but usually when I'm leaning a routine from a dvd or a perfomance off the web.

I don't draw hand positions, it's more a short hand or bare bones kind of thing, but sometimes it can become very involved.
And sometimes I have to go back because my notes don't make sense.
You notice subtleties which you might overlook.
Unless you have tried it you can't believe now hard it must be to write a book.

It is very time consuming but it means that I can sit at the table and run through the routine, and not be sitting on the floor looking at the t.v.

Also the act of writing the thing out helps to fix it in my mind.

I've tried watching a tape and dictating the discription and that's easier.

Another thing I have found is that I fit what I'm reading to what is in my head and usually the handling becomes more personal.

Hope this helps.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Believe it or not, I have had the same problem with CARDS. some things are notoriously difficult to delineate.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I begin by working on an idea for a routine without taking notes.
I'll explore some of my resources for possible sleights and short routines that may fit in with the longer routine I want to do.

Once I have a routine pretty much where I want it, I'll write down some information in pencil so I can erase.
Notes include:
Title, Effect and Working.
If part of the routine includes something from a book or video, I'll make a footnote of it for future reference. That's the easy part.
For instance. If one routine opens with a variation of Roth's coin production from a bagless purse frame. I don't write the whole effect but may make a note of the resource and any variations I may use.
The patter (if any), is usually a side or mental note and later included in the 'Working' part of the notes, as are other notes on misdirection or variations.
If the middle or end part of the routine is not from a resource, I'll write down needed details on a separate area of the notes..

When I feel I'm done with everything I'll flesh everything out on the computer.

I can be a long process or short one depending on the routine.
Short notes may be like
-Do Roth's "The Flurry" from Expert Coin Magic. Have coin apparently go to pocket and steal an EP.
-Do a "Sylvester Pitch" to show one coin, then "Touch Change One" spellbound move from Coin Magic changing silver to copper.
- Do EG2EG, to silver.
- Finish w/ Hardbottle's "Retention Pass to EG1" for two coins, from Coins on Edge.
Show hands empty via EG Display.

Don't know if this helps much but I tried.
Good Luck,
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I've been documenting my routines for years. I just can't always remember every move or sequence or the script. In many cases the notes are quite detailed and in others there are code words to help refresh my memory. I find that very helpful in some card effects such as where doing ATFUS with the break under the correct number of cards is vital . For rope and ring routines and pure rope routines a short hand summary of the procedures helps a great deal. Having the script written down also saves a lot of time so you don't have to reinvent the wheel. I actually used some of these notes when I was writing my book on coin magic which I will not plug in this post. Smile For example, I have the cups and balls and linking ring routines written down with script and sequences. It's amazing how easy it is to forget things you've done over and over.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
I use shorthand to write my notes and descriptions in notebooks.

Each routine, move, gimmick, or idea is titled and dated. Very rarely do I include a sketch.
BobGreaves
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
152 Posts

Profile of BobGreaves
The only method I have tried to date is to use a stylised hand (left, right, fist, open, palm up, palm down etc) with coins marked with reference on the coin (CP, FP) and arrows with direction and description of move (shuttle, etc).
It works slightly (no pun) but is not really sufficient.
I am still playing with the idea of a notation system, not meaning it to be fully descriptive, but serving as a memory/vision jogger. Muscicians have notation methods and although the music on the page gives direction to the work it is still open to interpretation and variation.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
While I haven't read it myself(yet), I'm told that the new book The Ostrich Factor by Gerald Edmundson tackled the problem discussed on this thread head on......this book may be useful to you.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Where can it be gotten from?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Contact the author through his website http://www.geraldedmundson.com/

On the homepage, click on the text that says, "Fellow Magicians CLICK HERE"
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Here's a small example of a few lines from one of my many notebooks outlining the beginning of one of my VCA routines:

1.RHFP-CSC, LHFP-C (ram/sub)

2.LH pro C via INN to FT & disp C. RHFT takes LHFT-C to disp & TS R2L to rev 2C from RHFP (CS/C) & con C to LHFP (ramsub)...yada-yada-yada

translation:

1.The right hand finger palms a coin and a shelled coin and the left hand finger palms a coin (concealing coins with Ramsey subtlety)

2.The left hand produces its coin via Insta-nertia to its finger tips and displays the coin. The right hand finger tips then take the coin from the left hand finger tips to display it then Transwitches the coin from right to left to reveal the 2 coins from the RHFP position (the other coin and the shelled coin) and conceals the Transwitched coin in left hand finger palm using Ramsey subtlety ...yada-yada

As you can see the abbreviated text makes for a much easier way to read and write with speed and less space. This is of course my way of doing it and since I've been writing down sleights and routines in this manner for about 13 years it's practically second nature. Illustrations are kept simple and concise. It's also a breeze when it's YOU who are writing what you already know instead of reading someone elses notes about someone elses routine.

BTW, Insta-nertia and Transwitch are 2 sleights of my own creation and didn't need to be explained in the example as I already know how to do them. They are however explained in another notebook of sleights using the same coded principle with simple illustrations and cross references. Patter and presentation tips are cross referenced in yet another notebook on loose leaf that can be pulled out for study and practice or re-learning and teaching. It may sound complicated but it's so easy when you first start doing it and just stay consistent. I'm sure there are better ways for others but this works well for me.

Coming up with your own will be fun if you've got the inclination and need to abbreviate extensive notes. The key is to create your abbreviations with consistency in mind and keep a key for codes as a reference.

I know of a least 2 others that notate in this manner and we all swear by it as a very quick way to 'jot' things down and refer to them with ease and precision.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Its easy for me , I only have 3 routines and I do them over and oer and over...?
kozmo
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Quote:
On 2005-11-26 09:50, Larry Barnowsky wrote:
I've been documenting my routines for years. I just can't always remember every move or sequence or the script. In many cases the notes are quite detailed and in others there are code words to help refresh my memory. I find that very helpful in some card effects such as where doing ATFUS with the break under the correct number of cards is vital . For rope and ring routines and pure rope routines a short hand summary of the procedures helps a great deal. Having the script written down also saves a lot of time so you don't have to reinvent the wheel. I actually used some of these notes when I was writing my book on coin magic which I will not plug in this post. Smile For example, I have the cups and balls and linking ring routines written down with script and sequences. It's amazing how easy it is to forget things you've done over and over.

I agree with that. I've gotten used to some very extensive write-ups of my own stuff But I kind of enjoy just doing that. I think it deepens my knowledge on my stuff if I put it down in words. I always learned better from written words than from DVD or video. It is difficult to explain.
Coins, cups and balls and even cards are a lot more easier to put into words than rope or rubberbands though for me.

When I was studying anatomy all of us would complain of the use of latin, the first few weeks. I learned that if you want to address certain parts of the body and certain movements you had to learn a universal language. So latin was necessary.
I think it is the same with writing down magic. But because nobody really cares some descriptions are still vague. The "front of the hand", "base of the fingers" or "parallel to the thumb" can be very confusing.

Learn to develope your own language for your write downs and stick to those terms!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2005-11-26 16:40, Godhandz wrote:
Contact the author through his website http://www.geraldedmundson.com/

On the homepage, click on the text that says, "Fellow Magicians CLICK HERE"

Everyone should own this book.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Noting down routines (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL