The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield Flying (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Paul Hughes
View Profile
Regular user
UK
123 Posts

Profile of Paul Hughes
Back to the original posting - I sat on the front row when DC was over in the UK and not surprisingly saw absolutely nothing during Flying!

I've actually seen video of "the rig" - a friend of mine was looking into purchasing it off Johhny Gaughan for a TV show and had video footage of the rig being tested over Johhny's swimming pool.

A stunning piece of kit.

Incidentally - not sure if its the "Flying" rig but the Pendragons did an outdoor (at night) levitation on a Magic of Disney TV special filmed at Disneyland Paris - IIRC it had been raining just before the performance and on video you get a tell tale sheen on the wires.
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
246 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
What is Johhny Gaughan website and/or contact info? PM if you don't feel comfortable posting it.
johnnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of johnnymagic
David Copperfeild performed his last special here in memphis and I was able to be in the 3rd row while they filmed the the parts showing the audience. Needless to say Unfortunately the secrets were revealed to everyone there.
Out of all the magicians I know, you're one of 'em...

www.johnnymagicmemphis.com
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
What secrets? Flying? I thought he stopped...
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
magicmike96
View Profile
New user
PLAINFIELD, IL
98 Posts

Profile of magicmike96
I saw the website with the patent details but I didn't see any pictures that you said you saw. I said refer to this diagram but I never saw thos pics..? oh well. magic mike
( /) what if the
(0.o) hokey pokey
(><) really IS what its all about?!
/_[_
feel free to pm me. MIKE Smile
bmworldtour
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of bmworldtour
Clock - if I'm not wrong -I think he was refering to the sofa levitation that Coppeerfield does -
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
Allow me to laugh Smile Smile ... Even if you know this secret You wont see it anyway Smile Smile
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
Billed as Uncle Morty and Aunt Ida the sofa levitation? Yes in TORNADO OF FIRE, everyone was planted......

What makes me laugh is the upgraded for tv version of his opener that he calls ONE the camera can be fooled but everyone front or back or to the sides have seen how it was done for sure! Very clever camera work and timing ONE is like a mega evolution for "wedge" or Steinmeyer's The Elevator.

anyway back on topic, surely they've seen it...... because he doesn't use Blue Art in Tornado of Fire like he does on his live theater shows..... and even if he did use Blue Art as in the Flying: Live the Dream special, he planted spectators on the stage who could see how it was done anyway....
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Yes Face you are right, .010 probably wouldn't show for a close-up dollar bill float!
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
bmworldtour
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of bmworldtour
What kind of back drop did Copperfield use for flying in his live show? He didn't use the back drop from his television special did he?
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
You mean the silvery flowing thing (I think there was blue too, but that could be just lights...)? Yeah he did, at least back in '97 in Finland.
Sent from my Typewriter
bmworldtour
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of bmworldtour
Ok he used a mylar back drop for his live stage show?
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Dunno if its mylar but lets just say his TV and live backdrops looked the same to me. Since he did flying before the special, I think he used the live backdrop in the special. I know the "clouds" he had on stage were there for TV only.
Sent from my Typewriter
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
As for live, what I have been told is that it's done DEEP into the stage with very dim lighting... I dunno about the backdrop.
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
Dream-Concepts
View Profile
New user
UK
95 Posts

Profile of Dream-Concepts
Copperfield used a single piece fabric backdrop for touring performances of flying - NOT a mylar slash backdrop.

For technical reasons (not magical ones) all flying performances tend to be towards the back of the stage as that's the only place you can get the necessary space (the Gaughnan flying system requires approx 10ft DEPTH for example)
Our annual sale of Costumes & props is now on - view them at www.IllusionExchange.com
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
The backdrop that I saw live was the same as shown on the flying special.

It's a single piece with a mixture of being backlit at a shallow angle and frontlit at a shallow angle and then moved to produce waves of motion in all directions. (Very much a distraction patten)

And yes, when I saw it, it was towards the back and not as well lit as the rest of the show.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Where can you buy these types of backdrops...any sites?
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
When I saw him, I seem to remember a mylar backdrop, but maybe that is just my memory being corrupted by the TV special where he flew. Anywho, although I'm pretty sure they don't have mylar backdrops, http://www.rosebrand.com/home.cfm has just about any other backgrounds you can imagine.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
http://www.rosebrand.com/A_Com/showdetl.......p_ID=235

Does that sound right?

Oh and BTW...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/47882/davi......can_fly/

...just beautiful. I hope he does it again. But I guess, nowadays, if someone had a laser pointer...well... Smile
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I believe David uses Nu-lash as his backdrop. It is the same stuff that Sean Bogunia uses during his Ultimate Dancing hank.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield Flying (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL