The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best of Slydini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wattomagic
View Profile
New user
Sydney Australia
68 Posts

Profile of wattomagic
Hi, I would like to purchase this book. Does anyone know where I can find a table of contents of the book? Is paper balls over the head described in it?

Thanks Chris
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I had Best of Slydini, by Karl Fulves, a long time ago, but sold the 2 books.
As far as I can remember Paper Balls Over The Head was in it.
One book was with pictures only, the other with text.
Not sure from where you can obtain them.
But, if it's just Paper Balls Over The Head you are looking for, you can purchase The Annotated Magic of Slydini from L&L Publishing.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
PBOTH is chap 11 of the Best of Slydini.

Other effects described in the book : Coin classics, Helicopter Card, Cigarette production, Paper Balls in the Box

But the key part of the book is about Slydini's lapping and misdirection concepts in the context of close-up magic at the table, and the effects showcase how they ar eused in practice.

Excellent value. Every page is pure gold. I bought this book 12 years ago and I refer to it all the time. ALL THE TIME. The only aspect I dislike is the fact that the pictures are separate from the text. Although this is supposed to be a feature, for me it doesn't work.

I think you most definitely won't regret the purchase.

If you're looking only for PBOTH, you could get the Stars of Magic (also Robbins), which is cheaper and contains a lot of other excellent effects.

I would get both Smile

PBOTH is also described on a Tony Clark video (TC was a Slydini student) and is included in the recently released DVD called 'As I remember', a video compilation of Slydini performances and explanations of some of his key effects by some of his students. I have not yet received my copy of this, so I won't comment on it.

PBOTH requires a 'timing' knack that you can only acquire through performing it. I believe that video instruction can be a big help.

Good luck
Daniel
wattomagic
View Profile
New user
Sydney Australia
68 Posts

Profile of wattomagic
Thanks you. Bought the book last week and am very happy with it.

Chris
Jeffrey Cowan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
130 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Cowan
Chris: after you have studied the Fulves book, you may want to get the annotated Magic of Slydini that came out a few years ago. It contains some tips and finesse points that were not in the Fulves book as I recall. Some of the tips I remembered as points that Tony shared when I took lessons with him.

Good luck. There is great material before you.
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
Been thinking about Slydini quite a bit recently due to the release of the "As I Recall" DVDs.
Back in the mid to late '70's I was in high school. Slydini's books were my bibles at the time. The close up act I did in those days was a hodge podge of stuff, but the core of it were three Slydini routines. They were his cigarette production set to music and his miracle torn and restored cigarette, his coins through the table, and his Purse of Aladdin sponge balls.
As my grandfather always used to say of my act in a heavy Yiddish accent..."The cigarettes, the coins, and the sponge balls...everything else is real ****! You want to know what I mean by ****? REAL ****!"
What can I say? The man had excellent magical taste!
L. Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
How can "dreck" be spelled with only four stars?
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
You're right about that! Two things, though.
1) My grandfather used the four letter expletive that starts with an "s" and ends with a "t" in that classic quote.
2) I actually typed in the dreaded "s" word, but the board automatically puts up stars instead. I know this must help you to sleep better at night, as it does me.
L. Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best of Slydini (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL