The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Are church folk really this naive? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Well, those organizations would be welcome to call me only for a last minute booking. If they have several on their list due to kept deposits, that means that THEY are a bad risk for an advance booking. If I were to know that there is a/are group/s that cancel a lot, I'd put THEM on a list.

HI,
I can understand where you are comming from, However, the entertainers on this list have acumilated over many many years (before I was a member) and the groups arrange charity/local community events unlike many organisations we do not try and get are entertainers ext for free. Occaionaly and by no means often an event has to be cancelled from clear lack of support always at least 1 month before. as I have said earlier we would not use anyone agian who kept a deposit. most of the people who belong to this group have great influence in the town and as there are similar groups in most towns we meet and talk ext so you can see how things might go. It matters not about wether anoyying our group matters , the point is most people will consider you unjustified in keeping their deposit even if they are totaly in the wrong. personally I think it is better to take the loss rather than falling out with a client or group.
Phillip
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Lutefisk... it was what was really meant when the first person said, "love the sinner, hate the sin." Has nothing to do with Morality.

I love the fish. I just don't love what the world has done to the fish.

or whatever you call it after its transformation.

RevJohn
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
Billy Riggs billed himself as the first Disillusionist (I think that's what he said!) when he came to our church. He set the tone as a performer with some manipulations and standard stuff. The he went on to do some pretty good mental magic to "prove" that psychics were fake by stating he did it by trickery. He followed with an excellent sermon on a true miracle, the resurrection of Jesus.

Greater Gosple Magic, by Laflin goes to some lengths to to help a performer present himself in the best light for churches. Instead of saying magic, say "Puzzles for the Eyes". I announce before hand I will be using simple tricks to illustrate Gosple truths. It is unfortunate that some church members don't understand the purpose of a Gosple Magician's performance and judge on the "trigger words".

Rev John, you have reiterated the key concept of how God looks at us and how Christians are to view mankind. That is: "Love the person, but hate the sin." However, materialists and the philosophy of modernism reject the concept of God, sin, right or wrong, absolute truth, etc., so it is a non-issue to them. Since they also condemn religion (Christianity for me) and call us irrational, bigots, and worse, it seems as if they say we are committing the materialist's version of sin--which they say doesn't exist.
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I think your marketing needs to be directed to your target audience, if your focusing on church programs then you need a dedicated page or site for such programs. You deal with the ideal of deception & psychic demonstrations every day, this target audience is only familiar with it on limited basis.
Think about it, if a parent was purchasing a childrens book on line & that site also on their home page advertised adult publications, would they be very likely to buy from there, some would many would not. Your situation is no differant.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2005-12-16 15:28, tboehnlein wrote:
Think about it, if a parent was purchasing a childrens book on line & that site also on their home page advertised adult publications, would they be very likely to buy from there, some would many would not. Your situation is no differant.

Stop that! You're making sense! And moreover, you're suggesting a solution!

That's not what we're doing in this thread!
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Yeah that horrible ACLU! Read this to find out how they are single handedly destroying our country http://www.commondreams.org/views05/1206-23.htm
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
That article was simply an unofficial ad for the ACLU, in the guise of an editorial.

The ACLU is not as bad as some may say, but on the other hand, their record is well known and can be studied by anyone who will take the time to do so.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Their record is well-known because they have the Constitution on their side.

If the absolutism of that document (and a far-reaching approach to its interpretation) is often annoying and hard to understand, surely you can understand this: the majority has no protection for its freedoms unless the smallest minorities also have full and equal protection - including protection FROM the majority.

Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2005-12-17 18:46, rossmacrae wrote:

If the absolutism of that document (and a far-reaching approach to its interpretation) is often annoying and hard to understand, surely you can understand this: the majority has no protection for its freedoms unless the smallest minorities also have full and equal protection - including protection FROM the majority.

It's comforting to know that there are still amoung us those who understand the purpose of this much maligned agency. The civil rights given us by our constitution are far too easy to loose without the constant vilgilence of those willing to fight to protect them. Be it on the battlefield or in the courtroom.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Mr.Wizard
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Mr.Wizard
Quote:
On 2005-12-17 19:18, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-12-17 18:46, rossmacrae wrote:

It's comforting to know that there are still amoung us those who understand the purpose of this much maligned agency. The civil rights given us by our constitution are far too easy to loose without the constant vilgilence of those willing to fight to protect them. Be it on the battlefield or in the courtroom.

First, this is now so off topic I would think its removal is near.

Second, leftist clap-trap is just that. The ACLU has NEVER defended a persons second ammendment rights in ANY case. Yet they defend the rights of NAMBLA. What right is it when you want to have sex with underage boys?

I can post a great deal more, but this is not the place for it. Unless the context is now naive people who think the ACLU is a good thing are....
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Regarding the claim immediately above:

A simple and succinct explanation straight from ACLU: "The case [in which they defended NAMBLA] is based on a shocking murder. But the lawsuit says the crime is the responsibility not of those who committed the murder, but of someone who posted vile material on the Internet."

Do you want your rights, or don't you? If you want to post on the internet without fear of prosecution, everyone (even those we despise) must share that right.

The other claim, regarding the second amendment, is simply untrue. Their stated policy is that, "if we can license and register cars, we can license and register guns." Period. License - register - not prohibit, confiscate, or any other wild claim.

Yeah, we've gotten off-topic. But the discussion is still vigorous - SOMEONE must be interested. Someone else, Mr. Wizard, seems to be afraid of discussion. You no like the talk, you no read the thread.

mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Quote:
On 2005-12-01 12:40, Alan Munro wrote:

Are people really so naive as to not know the difference between a theatrical performer and a "psychic"?

Like PT Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute".
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Mmm....

Ross, love you man! Right on the money as usual!

As for other comments.... mmm,

[edited by RevJohn]

RevJohn
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Mattisdx, Barnum did not say there is a sucker born every minute. The saying stems from a court case he was involved with. See details on the "Cardiff Giant" for further.

Glenn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Are church folk really this naive? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL