The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What do you think of this illusion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Anyone who's seen ShrinkBoy in action? What do you think of it? Is it a good illusion to invest in? Would appreciate some good advice.
Thanks
Maps
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I' ve never really seen Shrinkboy built. You may be thinking of Dan Summers " Compressed" illusion. You can see a video here http://www.danielsummers.com/compressedhs.mov

If you're interested in " Compressed" you'll have a great illusion...be very very wary of knockoffs that just don't use the proper method. I've seen may a knockoff and they get little response because the audience just assumes the person is kneeling inside the prop. In Summers's compressed its just looks too impossible and gets a good reaction.

http://www.danielsummers.com

Best,

Tim
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Agreed. I too have seen some pretty bad ones out there. Daniels looks great.

It's probably the most deceptive version of this illusion you will find.

Chris.
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Thanks for your valuable input.
I am looking at the one built by Chris Murphy.
Maps
Visit my website
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I just visited Chris's site and didn't see any simular illusion. I doubt he'd rip off " Compressed" as he respects the rights of designers and other builders.

Best,

Tim
Alex Tan
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
290 Posts

Profile of Alex Tan
I have a Shrinkboy illusion that was built by Chris Murphy. It was built years ago based on Andrew Mayne's book. Mine was one of few he built before he stopped building them after discovering that it was too similar to Daniel Summer's Compressed. The Shrinkboy illusion that he built for me was very well designed and well-built. It's highly deceptive unlike the other Shrinkboy illusions out there. Chris and I weren't out to rip Daniel Summer off, it's just a case of similar ideas by different designers. Chris as far as I know has stopped building Shrinkboy illusions to avoid stepping on anyone's toes.

Alex
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
No one owns the idea of shrinking a person VERTICALY both Siegfried and Roy and Doug Henning ( using different method) did a vertical Shrink of person long befor the Compressed Illusion came out. Shrink Boy uses yet another Method.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Of course no one owns the rights to shrinking a person vertically. Just like know one owns the rights to make a person float. Its the method used to acheive the affect that is "owned".

Oviously Chris Murphy agreed the methods were " too simular" and took the ethical route.

Alex.... thanks for the clarification regards Chris Murphy no longer building them. Of course you and Chris weren't out to rip Daniel Summers off. ( sorry if it seemed I implied that)

Best,

Tim
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2005-12-11 09:26, Timothy Drake wrote:
Of course no one owns the rights to shrinking a person vertically. Just like know one owns the rights to make a person float. Its the method used to acheive the affect that is "owned".

Oviously Chris Murphy agreed the methods were " too simular" and took the ethical route.

Alex.... thanks for the clarification regards Chris Murphy no longer building them. Of course you and Chris weren't out to rip Daniel Summers off. ( sorry if it seemed I implied that)

Best,

Tim

Tim the method is very different Shrink boy to Compressed.
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Thank for all your valuable inputs.The link to the video really looks great.The more I think about it,the more I have ideas on how to use it. Need some more thinking through.
Maps
Visit my website
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I'm not sure of his name but there is some guy in texas who used it as a comedy bit. He has his assistant play the part of an assistant who is well past her prime. At some point in the act her breasts fall down to her knees so she is put into compressed and everything is cranked back into place. Apparantly it plays VERY well to the audience.

Dan's latest compressed is the thinnest yet.

Best,

Tim
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
I agree that Dan's Compressed is the Thinnest, but he has been working on it the 12 years with many improvements, his frist model was not so thin.
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
The idea I was thinking of is shrinking the assistant and while trying to restore her,the contraption got stuck.Sparks fly and smoke starts to pour out.Finally we have to wheel it of stage.After that some sawing and clanking sound is heard and maybe a scream and the assistant walks out in a shrunken size.There are a lot of opportunities for some funny business that will lead on to the Stretcher Illusion.
Any suggestions?
Maps
Visit my website
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
246 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
Looks pretty cool to me
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What do you think of this illusion? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL