The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I'm gonna be on TV (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I did a pretty last minute show today. Got the call a few days ago. It was a charity event for kids with cancer and their families. It was to take place at Telemundo, which is an Hispanic tv channel. (Is it a national channel?) Anyway, I found out it was near Warner Bros. studio. Okay, I knew where that was. I've been to the studio before. Turns out it was at NBC. Oh, cool, I think. I drive in. They direct me. I park right next to Jay Leno's mustang! I wheel my suitcase table in the big doors. Guess what, I'm right beside the tonight show set! I start setting up. The kids start arriving. I start doing walk around before the show... and Jay Leno shows up and works the tables. Then the mayor of LA comes and starts handing out presents to the kids from a big red sack over his shoulder. I finally get to do my show, while three betacam video cameras are shooting me. Tonight and tomorrow morning they're running a story on the event on telemundo. Guess I'll have my VCR ready. It took about 2 or 3 hours, but I didn't care or charge extra. I had a good time and it was a good cause. (Not to mention the exposure.) The kids had a great time and they are very sweet. Breaks your heart to see some of them. It's a priveldge to have the skills to bring joy to them and to be part of something like that.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
James,

Congratulations. Sounds like you had a great time.

Did you inquire about getting a copy of the raw tapes? They could be very useful for creating a demo tape. You will probably have to pay for the extra blank tapes, but it's worth it to get broadcast quality video. If you haven't already asked, move fast before they tape over the footage.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, Jim. I will be sure to phone them tomorrow and ask for a tape. I'll be curious to see how they cut it together and how much of me ends up in thes story. I was standing behind the mayor during one of his talks so I might get some camera time just from that.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
If you call, try to get past the receptionist/gatekeeper and speak directly with one of the tech people, either the camera person(s) or the director. They will know where the tape is.

Jim
Jim Snack

www.success-in-magic.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Congratulations Jim. Doing it for the kids with cancer was a great thing.

A still picture showing the cameras on you would be nice too. Forgot the camera? I know it's hard to think of these things before hand, but a picture can tell a story.

Tom
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Telemundo is great about covering events. They get some great shots that others miss.
Steve V
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Nice job James!!
rogueclown
View Profile
Veteran user
Hollywood
320 Posts

Profile of rogueclown
That is GREAT!!! Telemundo is a fun station to watch late at night. Their infomercials are hilarious. It is a blessed thing to have the skills to make someones day easier to cope with. I hope you get more gigs like that James.
RC
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, guys. I got one of the contacts there working on getting me some tape. I will also ask about still pictures. I did get someone to snap a shot with me and the mayor. I'll tell you how it plays out.

Jim
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You want to ask for any raw footage they took of you, not just the edited version that went out on the air. If they still have it, it will show you from several angles and will be longer than the edited down version. However, take what you can get and bring them some blank tapes they can use, plus a Christmas six pack of cheer for their trouble.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Spellbinder is right about asking for the raw footage, however, try to get it on digital video tape (whatever they use, Beta for example), not VHS analog videotape, for best quality.

Better yet, try to get both a broadcast quality tape and a VHS tape. If necessary, bring along your own camcorder with every patch cord possible and try to get them to plug it into their deck to make a consumer level quality tape at the same time they are copying the broadcast quality tapes. That way you can view it at home and still have the broadcast quality tape when you need it. Otherwise you will have to get someone to make a VHS copy for you from the BETA (or whatever) tape.

One more thing, if possible, get the VHS copy time-coded so you can easily log the best shots for later editing.

Jim
Jim Snack

www.success-in-magic.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
This is a wonderful way to get a "cheap" yet professional video. As Jim suggested, I, too, have gotten "raw" tape and used them. I have also found that some will never release raw footage; but it NEVER hurts to ask.

Sounds like a great gig. What you may have lost in income you obviously gained in great cocktail conversation!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I'm gonna be on TV (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL