The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Time it takes to train Doves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pinto2
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Pinto2
I'm wondering how long I should expect training my dove to fly back to me should take. I am just starting, and using the method where you get s/he used to going from finger to finger, and then moving the hands further and further apart. I will try to handle it for 1/2 and hour every day to accomplish this. Also, if I try to use food as a reward, will the dove stop preforming if I stop giving it food once its trained. Thanks in advance for your responces,
Daniel
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
You may want to limit your training sessions to 15 minutes each, twice a day. I am currently training a new dove and she gets tired after about 8 minutes of finger to finger exercise. The key is to learn how you and your bird interact and use it as a guide while training. Tony Clark has a good set of videos on this subject and typically you can have a dove fly back to you in 6 weeks or so with out the use of food as a reward.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mr. Muggle is correct on both counts. You don't want to overwork your dove especially while it is young. There's no set time limit for each session as each bird is different. If you're letting it fly from hand to hand, just watch and see when it starts to breathe more deeply. If it sits with it's beak open, then it is too tired. I work with my new ones for about 10 minutes then just let them sit on my finger and rest while I stroke them from head to tail. It's part of the bonding process. I never used the treat method to train mine but it does work.

Total initial training time is about 6 weeks depending on your bird. Some doves will never get trained, others take a short time. After that, you still need to work with them once in awhile, especially if you are not constantly doing shows.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Thirty minutes is a long attention span for a dove. I think the real key is quit when you win. Don't make it punishment.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
The real key is patience. You have to keep on doing it daily and follow the bird's lead regarding when to stop. You do not want to make it a negative experience. So don't rush your bird. Anyway, time will pass quicker than you think and your patience will pay off!

Dave, Bob and Mr. Muggle have given you advice of pure gold. Follow it and you will have a super flyback bird.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Time and Patience as stated before. Even when you "think" the bird is trained to do such a stunt, always remember that it is a bird, and will not always do what you think it is supposed to. It will still fly off sometimes, so let it do what it will. Unfortunately lots of magicians get impatient with the bird and ,as stated in earlier posts, turns into a negative experience for the dove. One good way to train is repeativity (is that a word? *haha*), but the lighting should illuminate you and nothing else. Once done over, and over, and over, and did I say, over again. Your dove will begin to follow suit.

One thing that is bothering me slightly though, is the fact that you said "giving food as a reward". Hopefully you won't use a "starvation" method to train your dove(s). I have seen this done before and its not a very good outcome for the bird. On the other hand, if the dove sees you as a "safety zone", then the training has the same outcome (hence, the darkness with illumination on you). Hope this helps some also. The others have given some great advice as always! *smile*
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Quote:
On 2005-12-16 16:46, 1906Alpha1906 wrote:

One thing that is bothering me slightly though, is the fact that you said "giving food as a reward". Hopefully you won't use a "starvation" method to train your dove(s). I have seen this done before and its not a very good outcome for the bird.

Yes, a "starvation or deprivation technique" or feeding "only when performing" can cause the feathers to come in poorly. If their food runs out and they are out for a day the feathers will have a sort of "notch" in them. I saw this when my dad and I raised pigeons. One of the people we hired to feed them while we were gone did not do a good job. This put the racing pigeons out of competition for the season.

Your birds will be very healthy if you feed them regularly. But you probably know this already. Just be consistent and they really will learn. That and the Tony Clark techniques are a good way to go.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Time it takes to train Doves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL