The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Egg timer floating in water (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RichHead
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of RichHead
I recently saw a puzzle consisting of a glass cylinder, sealed at both ends, that is completely filled with a clear liquid. The cylinder can be stood upright on either end. Suspended in the liquid and at the top, is a small eggtimer. The sand is free to run from the upper part of the hourglass to the lower part, in the usual way. However, the cylinder is too narrow to allow the hourglass to turn around - the only way to turn it the other way up is to turn the whole cylinder over. When this is done, the egg timer is at the bottom but does not float back to the top for some while. Why? That is the puzzle.

Does anyone know whether this can be purchased now, and if so where?

See the link for a full description.

http://www.grand-illusions.com/puzzle.htm
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Does the eggtimer have to be such a tight fit to the cylinder? is the glass a part of this puzzle?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Heinz Weber
View Profile
New user
Austria
83 Posts

Profile of Heinz Weber
The eggtimer is not in a stable position if the sand is in the top compartment. So he tries to turn around and generates friction which causes him to stay on the bottom. After a while some sand is gone to the lower compartment, the center of gravity is down, no more tilting and no friction. The eggtimer can go up.

Am I right?

Heinz

PS: I think there has to be a rough surface on the eggtimer, and he has to weigh nearly like water.
Heinz Weber
View Profile
New user
Austria
83 Posts

Profile of Heinz Weber
Sorry, I didn't read the links posted above where my answer is published anyway..
RichHead
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of RichHead
Hi stanalger

Thank you very much for the site link to this puzzle.
Much appreciated.

I have now emailed them to see if they will travel in the post without ending up as a mixture of soggy sand, broken glass and water!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Egg timer floating in water (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL