The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Producing a full Bouquet of real roses? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Hey everyone,

I want to produce a full bouquet of real roses at the end of one of my acts, they need to be real cause I am giving them away. I will be using a silk, and I could step off stage to grab a mic to talk before the production if necessary. I want to simply wave a silk over my open hand and produce the bouquet, stems and all. Any lecture notes/ videos/ books/ or dvds with something like this or any bouquet production or real flowers you all know about?

Thanks guys and girls,

DJ
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
In the DVD "The Magic of Jeff McBride", he produces a bouquet of flowers after some byplay with the McBride candle.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Thank you sam,

I will for sure look into this production, is a silk used?

DJ
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Why do you need to use a silk?

There are some very classic ways to do this. Check out Tarbell and Rice.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
This is going to be tough to do out of a silk. You are going to need a holder to hold the flowers in the silk that doesn't crush the blooms.

Why not use a tip over florist box or something like that?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I want to wave the silk over my waiting hand and have the full bouquet of roses in the hand. It could be something else of a different size that is waed over the hand for the production but I need the roses produced in a waiting hand, or if there was a method to produce them with no cover at all in a waiting hand even better...

DJ
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Nice dream. Let us know how it goes.
Daniel Faith
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
I will second the production on Jeff McBride's video. I have the set and I am interested in selling it. Let me know if you are interested.

Derek Merdinyan
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Black art. Only way with "No Cover." But many silks and a steal is a beautiful thing.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
Jeff McBride, and yes he dose use a silk.

Lukas
Make the difficult look easy, and the easy beautiful.

President and Minutes Secretery of the Plymouth Magic Circle

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
I would second the black art option, its a lovely idea but very difficult to do using traditional 'in the hands' production methods.

Unless you think along the lines of balloon to winebottle (splash bottle) / dove productions, but it wouldnt be too 'comfortable'

Gary
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The other factor to consider when producing a bouquet is the possibility of petals falling to the floor prior to the production. The holder not only has to be secure and compact, but pretty much "petal proof" as well. If it were me, I would forget the silk and produce the bouquet from a large square circle.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
A Square Circle? How far from sleight of hand can you get? My advice is to ignore the advice for the moment and buy a plastic rose bouquet as close the the size and shape of the one that you want to produce as possible. Work in front of a full length mirror and just "pretend" you are producing the bouquet magically. That will help you work out what you want the audience to see as the end result. Now, working backwards, figure out what you have to do to get to the ending without the audience seeing the bouquet or where it comes from. It's not as difficult as it seems once you actually start to work on the problem. Maybe you'll need a silk for cover... but maybe not! I get good results with a huge pocket built into the lining along the back of my suit jacket that has an opening in a side seam under my right arm, for example. If you can see that working for you, you might just have to pay a visit to your tailor and the florist for your effect.

Also consider the possibility of producing the plastic bouquet, and then switching it for a real one as you head down towards the audience ( assuming you can get a plastic bouquet that realistic!).
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Has it occured to you that 'a full bouquet of real roses' may rip and damage your silk? There are thorns and rough edges around the stem and these may just catch on your silk and as you move the silk away, it may be badly damaged. The petals may fall off and you may also badly crush the blooms.

I would suggest the use of a tube holder to place the bouquet inside and using a few silks to cover the holder - and producing the roses from the bunch of silks.

Of course it is better to appear the silks first and from them the bouquet.

Appearing the bouquet with a single silk would not be practical if the size of the bouquet is big.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Quote:
On 2006-01-17 13:27, jimgerrish wrote:
A Square Circle? How far from sleight of hand can you get?

I guess it depends on whether you are trying to focus on the effect or the method. Remember, even successful manipulators like McBride continue to recognize the usefulness of stage props such as this. At the end of the day though, it comes down to a matter of personal choice.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
You can use dove production techniques but not for a big bunch of flowers, more like a single rose.

Otherwise I would suggest a short silk production routine, something simple like snap-silks, and a table steal as a single silk is produced, then that can be waved over the other silks and the bunch produced. You'll need to be using big silks, 24" starting with 36". I've had success with this, not flowers, but a big steal.
Paul
Torkova
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
192 Posts

Profile of Torkova
Due to the difficulty of handling real roses and petals breaking, etc., you could possibly produce an artificial bouquet and then find some way to switch them for the real thing as you hand them out.

Best,
Torkova
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Quote:
On 2005-12-21 19:10, Daniel Faith wrote:
Nice dream. Let us know how it goes.

agreed... its a nice thought...but a bouquet of flowers is not an easy thing to conceal, nor handle, nor produce.. Your best bet is to steal it from a table or off stage as you get your mic...one silk wont do it though, you'll need alot.. good luck DJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Producing a full Bouquet of real roses? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL