The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Failed One-Ahead Experience (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
She refused! She said that if she told me the name, I would write it on the next slip of paper!

What next slip of paper? What convinced her that there would be another slip of paper?

Osterlind's method with the pad helps this regardless.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
122 Posts

Profile of blpprt
Hi Frank,
OK...I think now I see my error! When I asked her the name of the person she was thinking of, I already had picked up the next paper and pencil poised to start writing again! Buzzzzzzz! Wrong!
Looks like I need to focus on "object management" in addition to "audience management". Smile

I want to touch on the following idea a bit more. I try to work as impromptu as possible and thought I could do this effect by scrounging around (wherever I am) for 3 slips of paper or 3 paper napkins, etc. It seems from the previous discussion that maybe this is a bad idea...but I really don't want to carry a writing pad around with me or assume , for example, that if I'm at someone's house they will have a small size writing pad. Maybe if I started with a small pile of blank scrap paper?...not just three? BUT would having three scraps of paper or napkins be that much of a "give away" as opposed to using a writing pad? They don't know I'm going to "read their mind" three times.

The light is starting to break through.
Thanks!
Bob L.
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
122 Posts

Profile of blpprt
By the way...I have on order Osterlind's DVD that has "Fouth Dimensional Telepathy" so I can get up to speed with that aspect of the discussion.
Bob L.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Just did a show and did 4th Dimensional. For the first time ever, I called a woman up and had envelope number 3. She had written the name of a friend.

Well, this was the last one. And she said "Are you sure that is my envelope."
I already knew of course the name was "MELLY" she put down but was caught off guard. I should have burned the envelope since I had just burned a billet but instead I miscalled the name. I knew melly must be a nick name so I said Melinda, Amelia etc. She just shook her head. I was too afraid if I called the name correctly, she would say "let me see inside the envelope" or put the pieces together.

I thought of this later and talked to her a bit to see if she really knew but she never alluded that she did know. I said, see I come close sometimes etc etc baiting her.

Just wierd the first time this has happened.
Sfarad
View Profile
Loyal user
Israel
233 Posts

Profile of Sfarad
Candini Thank you for sharing this experience, this is exactly what I've wanted to know if the effect goes wrong, after your description I feel ready to do it.
:)
'Magic is the bloodstream of the universe. Forget all you know or think you know! All that you require, is your intuition'.
lane99
View Profile
Elite user
421 Posts

Profile of lane99
Quote:
On 2006-01-21 13:29, Candini wrote:
Well, this was the last one. And she said "Are you sure that is my envelope."

A "3" had actually been marked on that envelope, hadn't it? And, even seeing this, she still didn't think it was hers? Or maybe she just didn't see the "3", so she was just checking you didn't pick up a spare envelope by accident, or something?
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I used to do this trick when I was six and when I start a 4th DMT routine some people STILL say ---"oh, I know this one" You REALLY need to add in a lot of convincers and justifications for your actions to make this play well 100% of the time.

These could include

-signed papers
-number papers
-paper sealed in envelopes
-Don't ask them to think of anything until AFTER you have written. I.e. make it a prediction NOT telepathy
-Ask the person to think of several childhood friends...make your prediction then ask them to name the friend that stuck in their mind the most.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
All the envelopes were marked on outside 1-2-3. I still think she was guessing at best after talking to her afterwards, I hinted and hinted and if she was that clever, Im sure she would have said something. I do this effect often.

All the billets are placed in the envelopes by the spectators and sealed.
Lane99, you could very well be correct. I think I turned the envelope around and showed it was 3 but cant remember now. She may have meant the comment tongue and cheek. Ask some people to come forward makes some nervous. You know, some people laugh at something that is not funny or giggle when they talk etc etc?

After the show, I joked a few times saying "there is a skeptic" etc and got nothing from her. On second thought, I should have isolated her and asked why she said what she said to be sure but I didn't feel strongly she knew or I would have.

You know how sometimes in your shows, you are doing something you know is strong and you see some person whisper to another? You know you didn't do anything wrong etc.. etc...There were some sharp people at this gig, I would have thought some would have been much more skeptical, especially when I did Kurotsuke. One of them came up afterwards and commented he thought of something that matched his wife's billet (Name/Place) but wrote some other place down and asked for my business card.
I can't wait to perform 4th DMT again now.

Nicholas: I do 4th more like Osterlind does on his demonstration series (ETMMM).
Everything is sealed and the envelopes are numbered, I take them back from spectators and then do my prediction. I write it down and hand it to another person. Is that what you mean?

Are you saying to imply more to the audience that I am doing a prediction now etc etc?

Off to another one:)

Regards,

Candini
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Richard Osterlind calls the one ahead principle "One of the greatest effects in mentalism, I used it all the time."

Well, now I know I will use insurance from now on. I was numbering the envelopes to myself, instead of showing the spectators I am numbering them, 1-2-3. I just never had a problem, now I have a convincer.......
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Failed One-Ahead Experience (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL