The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Arm garters (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Anyone wear arm garters?
Know where to get them? (particularly online? Google didn't come up with anything nonfeminine) Tuxedo rental stores maybe?

A year ago I made a pair from simple black elastic, ends sewen together. I love 'em, and wear them whenever I'm wearing a dress shirt. They're classy and cultivate an air of style around you. Non-mainstream. =) Plus they'll help keep your sleeves rolled up.
In place of putting a card or two that's for a trick but not in play at this moment (to be retrieved in a moment) down on a table I've started sticking the corner of said card(s) into the arm garter. They're in full view and honest, but out of the way & easily retrieveable.

--Diavo Smile
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Diavo -- Try any costume store, they should have them, and fairly cheaply, too. I played banjo in a Dixieland band for several years, and they were a pretty standard part of the costume at the time. The garters also helped the keep my shirt cuffs out of the way while I was playing.

I'd get a few pairs at a time, since the fabric tends to fray at the edges after a while. But at $2-3 a pair, it's not a big deal. They usually come in black, red, or a black/red stripe combination that's a little more showy. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
While I have seen a few cheap ones for sale time and again, I think the best ones are made by your lady friends. I know when I was in High School, ages ago, it was the "Thing" to make your boyfriend a garter. Some of the guys had rather large collections of them on their car or truck visors!
If I recall from the one or two I made, one needs some elastic, about one inch wide, lace in the color of choice, and some base ribbon, in a nice contrasting color just about half a yard each. About 15 minutes on the sewing machine, or an hour or so by hand and there you have it.
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Kay, isn't that a different thing than the arm garters?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Thanks. =)
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I have a nice set of antique metal spring arm garters that belonged to my grandfather. I've never seen another set like them and woul dearly love to find more like them.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I buy most of my historic gear, including ties and arm garters, from Wild West Mercantile at http://www.wwmerc.com. Their arm garters and ties are very well made and generally last around 6 months of almost daily use.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Payne,
I found these when googling "sleeve garters" (first hit)
http://www.mileskimball.com/jump.jsp?ite......tID=6153
Gold or silver =)

I think I might order a few...

--Diavo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Arm garters (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL