The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Help with Gemini Twins (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

negrette
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
178 Posts

Profile of negrette
Ok, I need a little advice on one of the moves associated with Gemini Twins and I thought this would be the best place to get that. I also have a few questions, but those will come in second.

First, let me say that the version of Gemini Twins I'm practicing is the one demonstrated by Bill Malone on his, On The Loose vol 2, titled "End of Story". I've got the Gemini Counts down without much problem. My issue is with the last phase of the trick, or technically the second to last, where you need to do a double deal. You're supposed to take the top and bottom card together by slightly pushing off the top card and buckling the bottom one so that it extends to meet evenly with the top card. This is where my problem lies. Try as I might I cannot buckle the bottom card and cause it to move forward. I can buckle the bottom card and push the second from the bottom forward, but buckling the bottom card doesn't seem to result in anything. Any suggestions on how better to do this? Or perhaps other methods that would allow me to do this double deal?

As for my other questions. I'm curious what would be a good source for Brother Hamman's Gemini Twins? I love Bill's version, but I'd also like to learn the original, just for my own interest. Actually, I think that is plenty for this topic. Alright, all suggestions, thoughts, and ideas are greatly appreciated. I look forward to your answers.
Mallusionist definition of the Simple force: The cards are fanned and if the spectator tries to take the wrong card, the magician holds onto the deck really, really tight.
http://www.mallusionist.com
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Ammar teaches it on one of his videos.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Geminii Twins is a different effect. (I believe it is a Karl Fulves effect). John Hammon's routine is called "The Twins".
ME
negrette
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
178 Posts

Profile of negrette
Oh, sorry about that. Perhaps I just confused what Bill Malone was crediting to Brother Hamman on his video. Maybe he was just crediting the Gemini Count to him and not Gemini Twins.
Mallusionist definition of the Simple force: The cards are fanned and if the spectator tries to take the wrong card, the magician holds onto the deck really, really tight.
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
It's actually a very common error. I had made this same mistake repeatedly and then someone pointed it out to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is credited as "Gemini Twins" on the Malone DVD's.
ME
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I'll tell you how to do it. I do not do the buckle...

I do this instead...

With all the moves here, the inner corner
of all 4 cards are always together at the
base of the thumb until the turnover.

i'm left handed so I'll use (N)orth and
(S)outh and you can revolve in your chair to meet your physiological requirements..

-Get 4 cards in your S hand all squared
and thumb over top card 1/2" to expose top outer corner of the bottom 3 cards.

(Remember all 4 corners are still together. You arc it over. You don't push it over squarely)

-Place your first fingertip of the N hand
against the outer edge of the remaining 3 cards.

-With the first finger of your S hand,
pivot over the bottom card until it's square with the top card. It's under cover of the first finger of the N hand and nobody sees it.

(Remember all 4 corners are still together. You arc it over. You don't push it over squarely)

Now, everything is lined up just right and everthing. You start to feel happy!

All 4 cards still have their inner corners together at the base of the S thumb.

Use the first finger of your N hand and PIVOT the top&bottom cards together out. They will pivot off your thumb base nicely together.

As soon as they pivot out an inch or so, relax your hands, and grab the double with your thumb and first finger and turn it over onto the S hand's cards.

The key is using your thumb base to keep all the inner corners in alignment and aligning eveyrthing with your first fingers.

Easy as PIE!!!!

I do it slowly and deliberately. I do not try to rush it. If it seems to take too long then look up, smile, and say "blah, blah, blah" or something even more appropriate and by that time you'll be done.

You should be looking up and saying something anyway.

If you like that technique you can email me (or pm me) a beer.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
negrette
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
178 Posts

Profile of negrette
I knew this was the perfect place to ask for some advice. That was PERFECT! Not only did you do an excellent job explaining everything so perfectly that I completely understood it, but it works beautifully for me. Thank you very much for the help. Now with some more practice I should be able to get that down smoothly. This is fantastic. Thanks again, very very much. If I was back out in California I'd definitely buy you a beer. I guess this will have to do though. Smile

Wow, that really was a great explanation...thanks. Sorry, I'm just really excited about being able to do this trick all the way through. Guess it's a little embarassing that I didn't think of this myself, or work out a method myself...but I'll write it off to still being inexperienced. Thanks again. Smile
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1248 Posts

Profile of MagicT
Brother John Hamman's TWINS is a great effect. There are two very good sources for the original. One is his book "The Secrets Of Brother John Hamman" by Richard Kaufman, and the other is his video put out by Steven's Magic Emporium. I would strongly suggest you check both the book and video out. This way, you get a feel for how Bro. John performs the effect, and also you get to see and learn more of his magic, which is awesome, and has paved the way for other magicians.

Trini
Trini Montes
femur
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
175 Posts

Profile of femur
I know it's a bit late to jump in this thread but if you perform an Elmsley Count just BEFORE the last two phases of the routine (after you showed 2QS / 2QH and before you show 2QS / 2KS), you don't have to do a double deal and you can do a standard gemini count.

You'll have to cover the EC with patter. I usually say something like 'The ladies started a fight and it didn't take long before the chairs were flying out of the window...'

Hope this helps...
"I can't really think of a good quote to put here"
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
negrette,

To answer one of your questions, the version that Malone does on the tape IS the original handling of the trick, except that Malone added the kicker ending that he uses. Hamman's handling uses the double deal also.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2002-11-30 10:02, femur wrote:
I know it's a bit late to jump in this thread but if you perform an Elmsley Count just BEFORE the last two phases of the routine (after you showed 2QS / 2QH and before you show 2QS / 2KS), you don't have to do a double deal and you can do a standard gemini count.

You'll have to cover the EC with patter. I usually say something like 'The ladies started a fight and it didn't take long before the chairs were flying out of the window...'

Hope this helps...

hmm.. Interesting. Thanks for that tidbit!
I love it when others do the thinking for me! Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I prefer (before double deal) to take the two middle cards with right hand and separate the hands. I move cards all the time and explain that they got in to a fight. Then I just but the right hand cards beneath the left hand cards and just do gemini count. I don´t have to use the double deal.
negrette
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
178 Posts

Profile of negrette
Thank you femur and korttihai_82 for those excellent tips. I'm so glad that I posted this topic because from it I received three wonderful tips on handling methods. Obviously I'll have to start actually trying to think for myself at some point and maybe I'll come up with handlings of my own that make tricks a little easier. But in the mean time, its great to know that there is such wonderful help here at the Café. Thanks to everyone. And thanks for the clarification that Malone's handling is the original. I look forward to eventually obtaining "The Secrets Of Brother John Hamman" and learning all I can from this brilliant magician. Smile
femur
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
175 Posts

Profile of femur
Better hurry to get a copy of the book. I heared it went out of print recently...
"I can't really think of a good quote to put here"
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2002, femur wrote:

Hope this helps...

Super old thread, but I was searching for Bill Malone handling and came across this thread. I've been doing the Brother John Hamman "The Twins" since 1998. I've always loved this routine. I do need to re-watch a recent lecture with Rafael Benatar showing his handling of Twins with Rhythm.
I really do like this idea of the EC at that spot. I never liked the goofy move, and this helps fix that. After I re-learn as Twins with Rhythm, I will have to update my post.

Tom
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Help with Gemini Twins (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL