The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bending Knives? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Hi,

I have been bending spoons and forks for a while now.
I was just wondering if anyone out there have any idea or insights on 'bending knives'?
Even if it's gimmicked or pre-bent, it would really be cool to hear some of your ideas or maybe thoughts.

Phil
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
I just picked up a bunch of table knives from Wall Mart when I bought my latest supply of spoons and forks with exactly that thought. I envision a "bending the whole drawer" routine.

I may even spread it bending steak knives. I have been working on a gimmick to bend the knives in real time, but knives tend to break more easily than other silverware, (especially sharp cutlery) so I may have to stick with prebent knives.

One other issue with knives is that presentation is all the more important as once bent, even with motion, they are a more simplistic form, and easier to focus upon, therefore they are less deceptive than forks and spoons without good presentation and mental misdirection..
The Doctor Knows.....
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
DoctorCognos,

That's great.
I also have the same idea.
If I can bend metal, I should be able to bend all kind of metal Smile
How do you pre bend the knives?
I am not sure if this is appropiate to talk about here.

Phil
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
I used the in-the-palm spoon bend Richard Osterlind delivers on his indispensible new Mind Mysteries #5 to bend a knife (impromptu at friendly gathering). It was actually cool enough that I may try that in other venues... but I'm guessing a knife wouldn't be the best for a stage perf, whereas a spoon affords the angle-protection. Still, when the moment is right in close-up, it's very very strong.
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Hi Brian,

I see, that's a good idea.
I have been using the palm spoon method bending spoons and forks too.
But I have difficulties bending knives with this technique.
What type of knives do you use?

Phil
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

It was a knife right off the table at a Mexican restaurant. Again, this was a one time thing that played well... I used Richard's method, and they were flabbergasted as the knife "curled" off my palm.
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
That is great Brian, I like the curling in your palm. I have been doing more of a fork tine type of revelation and the subtlety of your approach is very nice. I had been thinking of using more of the Patrick Kuffs spoon bend type move (curling up) and you have confirmed that it is effective with the knife, and I can imagine that it takes away the angle view problem .

If you are doing it impromptu in a restaurant, is is easy (and fun) to take the knife or whatever utensil from the table, and do the dirty work during normal conversation. I recently had a dinner meeting with colleagues working on some new business strategies and through the evening, I bent all of the silverware at my setting and got them every time.

At the right time, you can then just "pick up" the knife from your place setting where you boldly/casually replaced it, and go about "bending it".

I usually do a fork twist this way just to leave "an impression" on my dinner partners and the restaurant staff.
The Doctor Knows.....
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
That's really great idea.
Does anyone know if there are any released Knife Bending items in the market?
I haven't seen any. I wonder why nobody came up with some.
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Most knives are spring metal and don't bend well.
------

harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Word of caution:
Knives are more brittle than forks or spoons. If you try to bend it, it might snap and cause danger.
To believe is Magic.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi
Bending knives is dangerous (Harishjose) and problematic (Brian)
Why do it? The effect won't be as good visually as what you can do with a
spoon or knife
That may be why you don't see people doing it?
Cheers
TJ
:)
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Teejay, that's true.
It is mroe dangerous.
That's why I was just curious to see if there are any released gimmick that are not dangerous.
I mean, bending a knife seems more impossible that bending spoons and forks, because people sometimes think that spoons and forks can be visually bent.
I guess there's not released knife bending items in the market.
I'm sure many would be interested if there is one Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
If ever asked, I tell them simply knives break and shatter easily. Works like a charm:)
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
To some, if nobody else is doing it, there must be a good reason not to do it.

To me, if nobody else is doing it, that is all the more reason to give it a go.

Is it any stronger than a fork bend, or spoon bend? I don't find it so. But I still like doing it, just to take away the "trick fork", or "trick spoon" idea from the audience and turn it into; "My God, he bent everything on the table!"

Dinnerware is Dinnerware. If you can bend one, what can't you bend another?

I acknowledge that bending sharp knives is dangerous for a variety of reasons, and having already injured myself to bleeding on forks a number of times, think that a steak knife, especially impromptu is probably not worth the risk.

So, like with all performing, it is good have a comfortable out, in case you don't want to do it, or there is a reason why you shouldn't. Certainly the line as used by Candini would work well enough.

Or you can even give other responses like; the straight line of the knife is a symbol, like an arrow, which can not be bent, but can only be broken, and today we are bending things, not breaking them.

Does it make sense? No, not really. And I use a lot of other cover lines that also do not make sense. But does it get you past the moment? Yes. And that is all you should need, is to get past the moment.
The Doctor Knows.....
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Regular table knives may not be any more hazardes then other utensils, they are however, thicker thru the length of the utensil. Spoons & forks have natural narrow point just made for bending.

Steak knives or other "sharp" knives are made of harder steel and are more brittle. THis makes them much more likely to break into many sharp shards. Only do if you are looking to do the famous appearing blood effect.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bending Knives? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL