The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Youngest age to do street magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Goodness giochi, there is no argument. You can call what ever you want 'street magic', be my guest. It seems the argument is coming from those that don't like what it is in support of what they wish it to be. Please call anything whatever makes you happy. Now go and have fun.
Steve V
vash
View Profile
New user
canada
15 Posts

Profile of vash
I havent bin doing this for very long but at age 15 the best way for me attract a crowd is just to do some Flourishes(or really visual magic) in a place where I can be noticed (large library,waiting room, when your in the checkout at a 7-11 ect)almost without fail I get some interested people.
The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Why?
Steve V
gollymrscience
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of gollymrscience
Vash;

You've made the first step towards performing for people and that is getting their attention. If you do street or stroll or ambush or whatever the first step is the approach.
You have one method and it works but don't leave it at that. You are in a perfect postion to move to the next step.
As I see Steve has asked "Why" and though I'm not sure exactly if this is what he means experianced magicians will tell you now that you got em' you have to think about what you're gonna do with them.
Nothing wrong with doing a bit of manipulation etc to grab them but don't just leave it with them thinking "What a show off". An example of that would be giving a "look at me" glance around every time you do something showy. Make it look like you are self absorbed and not invasive and people will be drawn to you. If not then you had some time practicing. If they do come in then close the trap softly.
"Hi, I'm just practicing some moves for a magic act.
a)Would you like to help me with something I've been working on?
b)Would you like to see something else?
c)You wouldn't believe some of the weird stuff that happens - like this....
d)Whatever other line works
Pull them in and do a good job and you will be an excellent ambassador for the art.
There are some excellent books on handling people and now is the best time to start learning. You are probably doing some of it naturally but there are magicians that have spent a long time refining the system and you should take advantage of their knowledge.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I'm wondering why he is attracting a crowd at the library, 7-11, or waiting room (at the doctors office? Dentist?), for what purpose. Is it so he can perform a show? Odd places to perform a show. Is he trying to sell something? Is it just a way to get attention for attentions sake? How many people are in the 7-11 or 'waiting room' so that it constitutes a 'crowd'? Golly is right, I'm wondering what you plan on doing with this slurpy drinking, dentist waiting crowd.
Steve V
vash
View Profile
New user
canada
15 Posts

Profile of vash
Just to clarify iam just useing this as a alternate method of geting some people to perform for and not a end on its own.(also my definnition of crowd is 1-10 interested people) that said what books would you recomend for improving my people handling skills?
thanks for the advice
vash
The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
What types of problems are you having handling people?
Steve V
gollymrscience
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of gollymrscience
Cellini's The Art of Street Performing DVD is good from a magician's point of view.

For a general book on dealing with people try How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie - its an old book but good basics.
vash
View Profile
New user
canada
15 Posts

Profile of vash
Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Youngest age to do street magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL